Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

checking engine oil

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by sect one, Jul 11, 2004.

1. sect one

sect one Elite Member

i'm a complete dumbass when it comes to cars in my younger years ive ruined an engine etc etc so i went to check the oil on my car and i think i filled it too much its a little past the F (i'd say a half of an inch) and i am scared to drive on it wouldn't want to ruin this engine anyone out there hwo can help me? am i fine? can i drive on it or am i screwed

2. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

Half an inch shouldn't be that bad.. but there is a difference between a max. fill and a fill to line. If it's max. fill you might want to drain some of it.

3. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

4. ClueTwo

ClueTwo Veteran Member

DRAIN THE SHIT OUT....

5. T=E=A=S=E

T=E=A=S=E Elite Member

more is better... :)

but if youre scared about it... just go get a spoon or some shit and scoop some out...

6. ClueTwo

ClueTwo Veteran Member

Ahhh the ol' spoon technique..Good call Tease..

7. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

more is not better.

You cant use a spoon on most engines.

That post better have been a joke tease.

8. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

put some sand in it, to absorb the extra oil

9. metallix

metallix Elite Member

!!!

it depends
    sometimes it wont do anything
    sometimes it will
    if you over fill too much there will be a too high pressure and you might damage something...

best bet is to drain some of it out. you definately dont want to do future oil changes on your own if you can't handle it. $20 will pay for oil change in most places!!!!!!!!!!!

10. GamblersGrin

GamblersGrin Elite Member

11. me IS cool

me IS cool Guest

it's good to know how to change you own oil. Too much oil and you cause damage plus lots of white smoke. So if you see a lot of smoke after you change the oil drain some of it out.

:king:

12. T=E=A=S=E

T=E=A=S=E Elite Member

ofcourse.

its common sense that you fill it up to the full mark, and dont go over it by much...

thats what ive always done anyways.

13. rinse

rinse Member

take your ride for a spin. check your rearview now and then to see if your leaving a trail of smoke (unless you are james bond or playing spy hunter your car shouldnt come equipted with an smoke screen). if so, you have over filled your oil and burning the excess. if thats the case you should drain some.

14. JohnnyHorton

JohnnyHorton Senior Member

too much oil ruins the catalytic convertor...
    thats why you only fill oil up a half quart at a time, stop, check oil level and see how much more you need... repeat

edit: use a funnel too so you don't get oil all over your block and smoke yourself out

15. TheoHuxtable

TheoHuxtable Senior Member

Having too much oil isn't really a bad thing. Especially if it's just "half an inch" past the line on the measurer. It'll eventually slowly go down as you drive more. If worse comes to worse, just unscrew the oil plug and let some out into a pan little by little. But I wouldn't go through the trouble. You'd be gettin yourself dirty for nothin' IMO.