Ch. 0 heads, I need your help

HAL

Ok guys, here's where you can all come together and help a brother out. I'm in desperate need.

I gotta write this term paper about nuclear waste, and it's effects on our society. It's due Thursday, and man, I'm in this wicked writer's block. I managed to write the first paragraph, explaining what nuclear energy is, what nuclear waste is, and that it's bad for us. Beyond that, I'm staring at a blank void of F-minus. It took me three hours just to do that.

I need ideas, sources, etc. Pretty much anything but stupid responses will help.

Please help. I'll, like, do an outline of your name or something. Basically whatever as long as it doesn't involve nudity or penises.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The greatest effect nuclear waste has on people is radiation sickness. This is the damaging effect on body tissues by contact with radioactive substances. An educated hypothesis is that the effects are a disturbance in cellular activity ensuing from the chemical changes caused by ionization. Most sensitive to this radiation are blood-forming tissues such as bone marrow, the spleen, and lymph nodes. Furthermore, radiation sickness can be caused by the introduction of a single mass release, like a nuclear bomb, or repeated exposure, small or large, which is cumulative. Effects of this sickness can be reasonably mild and temporary, such as weakness, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and the body’s reduced resistance against infection. These effects are resulting from a reduction in the blood supply to cells and platelets since blood-forming tissues were destroyed. More severe results, such as anemia or hemorrhage, to infection, or to dehydration, can be caused from massive doses of radiation ensuing in death. These doses injure the brain killing the victim within two days. Finally, there is no cure for radiation sickness. However, people who will come into contact with radiation can take potassium iodide four hours prior to exposure to protect against thyroid cancer. Furthermore, shields and special clothing containing lead, thick plates of glass excluding harmful rays, and a dosimeter measuring the radiation an individual is receiving can additionally prevent sickness. Those that already have come into contact with radiation can sometimes have bone marrow transplants for a possibility of surviving. If the person does survive, they still have a great chance of acquiring a genetic mutation. This is still evident in places like Japan and Chernobyl where large nuclear doses and radiation were released in large amounts.

i didnt read it, but it might help a little bit

elaborate on the fact that N-energy is extremely dangerous to the earth... talk about Half Lifes, old accidents (chernobyl, three mile island) the notion of having to store waste for so long.(thousands and thousands of years)..contrtoversies about that (yucca valley). Talk about the current nuclear debates around the world...and elaborate on alternatives to nuclear energy. look up where many plants are and argue that something with so much deadly potential should never be within such close proximity to large populations...

good luck:rolleyes: :scrambled:

elaborate on the fact that N-energy is extremely dangerous to the earth... talk about Half Lifes, old accidents (chernobyl, three mile island) the notion of having to store waste for so long.(thousands and thousands of years)..contrtoversies about that (yucca valley). Talk about the current nuclear debates around the world...and elaborate on alternatives to nuclear energy. look up where many plants are and argue that something with so much deadly potential should never be within such close proximity to large populations...

good luck:rolleyes: :scrambled:

Ok. Will do. There's some good ideas, with the alternatives to nuclear energy and such.

"Although a vital source of energy for an ever-growing world populace, nuclear technology has yet to enjoy acceptance by society at large as being reliable and safe. Toxic by-products with a lifespan of hundreds if not thousands of years. Inefficient and faulty storage methods compund the risk nuclear waste poses to human and wildlife communities. While many herald the advances in the proper disposal and strorage, there is still too much apprehension and distrust held by many individuals over the fact that no one method is 100% effective."

---just something off the top of my head

HAL, you might want to look up events like chernobyl, 3 mile island, that one big mountain they are hollowing out to store nuclear crap under, spent fuel rods, fallout, diseases and health risks asscoaited with radioactive waste...

1.Intro

2.Nuclear Energy

A) what is it

B)how it works

C) energy it generates

3.Nuclear Waste

A) Association with nuclear power

B)Types of waste

C)Disposal/storage methods

4.All the bad shit that happens on account of nuclear waste

A)Health risks

B)Danger posed to human communities/water supplies/general unease it causes

C)Go into hazards asscoaited with storage (i.e. leaking from barrels down into water table

5. Societies view on Nuclear Energy/Waste

you can see where this is going. You need to provide a basic background of what you are discussing first THEN start going into how society looks upon it, how it affects the weighing of nuclear energies benefits versus donwsides, etc...

I would offer more tips and advice but this should get you started.

Lens' date=' should i do anything after part 3? The paper has to be like 4-5 pages. i hope i can do this shit up.[/quote']

Dude, you'll do fine man.

I just edited my post to include some more stuff.

Always back up statements and claims with facts and citations from specific sources.

For example...

"Nuclear waste sotrage methods are far from perfect with less than an "85% safety efficiency standard maintained at numerous facilties across the United States Alone (Jackson, 1992)"

---i just made that shit up

work the flip side a bit, like waste enough words to sell nuclear power as clean and efficient, there's a page. Then elaborate on waste in general and the disposal quandry. This could easy be a page and a half. Then talk about disasters, 3 mile island and Chernobyl, another 3/4 page. Clean up efforts, long term effects, alternatives and you're OUT!

Probably could do it easy in 6 pages which gives you an extra page for added weight (that's how they grade them right?)...

Why dont you find a nuclear workers forum and post a version of this:

"Hey guys! I have to write a paper for my art class and i wanted to write about graffiti. Can anyone tell me about it, how to do it, and how to make krink?"

nuclear waste is not a problem,

it can be encased in lead and concrete and chucked in the sea where it is perfectly safe and it in fact is perfect for coral to grow on it.

i accept that it can't really go on forever,

it is however the safest and least pollutant energy source, the only time its gone bad was in russia where they were messing around with it and they did not have any of the strict safety regulations we have today