Catholics "Holla" Ash Wednesday Thread

DEE38

For Catholics its Ash wednesday. (the beginning of lent)

Meaning church sometime today, get an ash cross on your forehead, fasting with only 1 full meal today with no meat, no snacks.

also catholics are supposed to fast every friday of lent also doing the same thing above.

anddddddddddddd... they are encouraged to give something up for the 40 days that could be benifical.. like maybe pre-maritial sex (like in that movie 40 days 40 nights) or meat..... sweets..beer.. cocaine. whatever.

Why we do this: Teaches control of fleshly desires, penance for sins, and solidarity with the poor. The Lenten fast prepares the soul for a great feast by practicing austerity. The Good Friday fast commemorates the day Christ suffered.

Anyway, i'm hungry and it's only 11am here! Im saving my meal for tonite, maybe some grilled veggies with rice for dinner with the mr. (non-catholic) so most likely he will be taunting me with a nice piece of steak. :) oh well, but today and all the days to come are important to me-- so i'll meditate.

im not sure why im giving up for the 40 days though. probably sweets. im such a hefer for whatchamacalits and snickers.

any other catholics participating this year?

[jesus jokes-negative comments on religion (especially from you athiests) and homo block: on]

[respect for other peoples beliefs block- off]

PEACE TO ALLAH"

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by CinchedWaist

I remember doing this in school.

I also remember the priest smacking me for confirmation.

Why do they do that?

he smacked you??? i didnt get smacked for confirmation... was it some kinda accident???

they do drink wine at every mass.....

dow: are you serious?

i was in the "hospitality" part of church. greeting people, sitting them down, collections, in hawaii we gave Leis to new visitors, so i did that too.

also id volenteer for alot of stuff like food drives, taking handi capped kids bowling.... working at childrens carnivals that we'd have.. stuff that like. i dont think id like to be an alter person though. :( (sorry jesus)

Guest imported_El Mamerro

My little brother is back from school, and he's got his cross. Haven't gone to church in years, so I don't think I'll be sporting one.

I don't usually give up antything for all 40 days, but I do make sure to not eat meat on any Fridays, especially the last one.

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

I also remember the priest smacking me for confirmation.

that doesnt sound good. :dazed:

Im a non practicing catholic.

I was pretty much born into it,

but I dont go to church.

Originally posted by gfreshsushi

i said thinking, not doing. it's not that i want to quit smoking, it's that i want to want to quit smoking.

unless i can get me some of that class action lawsuit goodness, oh yeah...$$$

yeah well the thought still is nice.

and tease no, that does not count. that does not count at all

Why we do this: Teaches control of fleshly desires, penance for sins, and solidarity with the poor. The Lenten fast prepares the soul for a great feast by practicing austerity. The Good Friday fast commemorates the day Christ suffered.

i guess meat is a big part of some of our lives... and giving it up for just oneeeeee day shows a huge part of devotion.

for example... say your girlfriend hates when you got to strip clubs. alrite cool. you go to strip clubs atleast one a week, and you LOVE going to them! even since you met here you been going to strip clubs.

if you gave up going to the strip club for a week, that will totally show how much you love her. giving up something within your daily ritual that you could do without for a meazly 24 hours, in the strip club situation, a week.. shows great honor and respect, and most importantly love.

you feel?

no, we all got smacked.

ok.....maybe not smacked. More like a faint slap on the cheek.

Very faint, not meant to hurt.

But i've always wondered why they did it.

So if anyone knows, please enlighten me.

I remember my mom telling me that when she was a kid they would lightly slap you to "hit the devil out of you" during confirmation. I dont think the priest did it to me though.

I feel horrible...I slept in today totally forgetting it was Ash Wednesday. Maybe I can make a later mass or something. I'm giving up the usualy..meat and sweets. Also just eating less in general. :p

fasting gets a lot of hoopla in the press when it concerns christians almost everyone knows the no meat on friday mantra and all the other jazz, but is meat really that much of a sacrifice (especially in vatican II where they said fish was ok, because people are weak minded fools and cant fast all day like they should) if you are going to use jesus as your role model in life, (ie calling yourself a christian, believing in his divinity) it is extremely important to remember that you can take the "ill do what i can attitude" but you do not reap any spiritual benefits of fucking 6 fridays minus dead animals (i know its coming off like im a vegetarian... i am but... that isnt my point)

a fast a true fast no food only water or juice not only works to purify your mind by self-imposing suffering on it but it also cleans out your body, which any good religious practitioner will tell you, cleanliness is next to godliness... fasting helps but when i hear someone say im not eating york peppermint patties and cheeseburgers for lent that is FUCKING lame.... there i said it.

fast truly fast and you will understand what i mean, try a day... and then up yourself to three then go a week, and then live in jesus' sandals and go forty days, and drink only the waters that come from within (like he did... yes jesus drank his own piss, john the baptist taught it to him as a purification ritual and ayurvedic medicine teaches it as the same * you want the verse ill get it *)

rant over.

dont make a mockery of people who really do believe in self sacrifice as a means of spiritual advancement by eating all day but not what you usually eat... you are weak and you do not give a fuck about why you are doing it...

haha

thepassionofthejobe.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

For the record, I don't view my avoidance of meat on Lent Fridays as self-sacrifice, although I'm aware that's the purpose. To me, it's an acknowledgement to the beliefs and traditions I have grown up with.

Regardless of if my thoughts and studies have led me somewhat astray of the traditional dogma, I recognize that it was absolutely crucial to my upbringing as a pillar of my spiritual development, and I choose to honor that.

el,

i definately applaud your response, it was intelligent and well put, i may have been somewhat offputting in my rant, i tend to get like that when i havent eaten... yet in a metaphysical world your connections on this planet, in this life dont matter i think it is a huge point that is missed in the explanation of modern religion, the only love you can have should be for god... *i dont necessarily believe it* but i think if more people thought like this 1. bush wouldnt be pres 2. there would be no reason for me to rant about the inadequacies of modern religion to fulfill the actual commitments of true religion... they make it too easy the catholic church started saying it could excuse people from their sins if they went to kill nonbelievers... then it went down hill... (not to pick on Cats it was just a good example... i can pick on alot more but i am being wordy again)///

maybe its my inner desire to actually have something higher in my lifeline... but its just easier to really know what to do and not do it and forget about it... shit celebrate lent, have fun... remember that penance or no penance sooner or later youll make it back....

thegreatesttrickjobeeverpulledwasconvincingtheworldhedoesntexist.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

For the record, I don't view my avoidance of meat on Lent Fridays as self-sacrifice, although I'm aware that's the purpose. To me, it's an acknowledgement to the beliefs and traditions I have grown up with.

Regardless of if my thoughts and studies have led me somewhat astray of the traditional dogma, I recognize that it was absolutely crucial to my upbringing as a pillar of my spiritual development, and I choose to honor that.