Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Catholics "Holla" Ash Wednesday Thread

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by DEE38, Feb 25, 2004.

1. DEE38

DEE38 12oz Loyalist

For Catholics its Ash wednesday. (the beginning of lent)

Meaning church sometime today, get an ash cross on your forehead, fasting with only 1 full meal today with no meat, no snacks.

also catholics are supposed to fast every friday of lent also doing the same thing above.

anddddddddddddd... they are encouraged to give something up for the 40 days that could be benifical.. like maybe pre-maritial sex (like in that movie 40 days 40 nights) or meat..... sweets..beer.. cocaine. whatever.

Why we do this: Teaches control of fleshly desires, penance for sins, and solidarity with the poor. The Lenten fast prepares the soul for a great feast by practicing austerity. The Good Friday fast commemorates the day Christ suffered.

Anyway, i'm hungry and it's only 11am here! Im saving my meal for tonite, maybe some grilled veggies with rice for dinner with the mr. (non-catholic) so most likely he will be taunting me with a nice piece of steak. :) oh well, but today and all the days to come are important to me-- so i'll meditate.

im not sure why im giving up for the 40 days though. probably sweets. im such a hefer for whatchamacalits and snickers.

any other catholics participating this year?

[jesus jokes-negative comments on religion (especially from you athiests) and homo block: on]

[respect for other peoples beliefs block- off]

PEACE TO ALLAH"

2. DEE38

DEE38 12oz Loyalist

Even if i was not religious, just that alone is a great reason to fast and stuff

3. imported_dowmagik

imported_dowmagik Senior Member

i was an alter boy when i was younger.

4. CinchedWaist

CinchedWaist Elite Member

I remember doing this in school.
    I also remember the priest smacking me for confirmation.
    Why do they do that?

5. DEE38

DEE38 12oz Loyalist

he smacked you??? i didnt get smacked for confirmation... was it some kinda accident???

they do drink wine at every mass.....

dow: are you serious?
    i was in the "hospitality" part of church. greeting people, sitting them down, collections, in hawaii we gave Leis to new visitors, so i did that too.
    also id volenteer for alot of stuff like food drives, taking handi capped kids bowling.... working at childrens carnivals that we'd have.. stuff that like. i dont think id like to be an alter person though. :( (sorry jesus)

6. My little brother is back from school, and he's got his cross. Haven't gone to church in years, so I don't think I'll be sporting one.

I don't usually give up antything for all 40 days, but I do make sure to not eat meat on any Fridays, especially the last one.

7. WebsterUno

WebsterUno Guest

*believe*

that doesnt sound good. :dazed:

Im a non practicing catholic.
    I was pretty much born into it,
    but I dont go to church.

8. caL

caL Senior Member

oh i forgot about ash wednesday :
    ive had a couple snacks and corn pops >_<

i didnt get slapped for conformation,
    i got this oil put on my forhead

9. CinchedWaist

no, we all got smacked.
    ok.....maybe not smacked. More like a faint slap on the cheek.
    Very faint, not meant to hurt.
    But i've always wondered why they did it.
    So if anyone knows, please enlighten me.

10. WebsterUno

WebsterUno Guest

I always thought it was a smack on the forehead.

:confused:

11. Devilush

Devilush 12oz Legend

i went to catholic school for the most of my younger years.

i've never heard of smacking...thats scandalous.

i dont practice catholicism anymore but my family still does. my cousin even took today off from work.

12. gfreshsushi

gfreshsushi Senior Member

my family goes to church for ash wednesday, and we're not catholic - one side is presbyterian, the other is episcopalian.

but i don't go. haven't been the religious type for years. thinking about quitting smoking, though.

13. CinchedWaist

at least you heard of the smack....
    we're getting somewhere.

14. DEE38

DEE38 12oz Loyalist

congrats! thats a great thing to do.

15. gfreshsushi

gfreshsushi Senior Member

i said thinking, not doing. it's not that i want to quit smoking, it's that i want to want to quit smoking.

unless i can get me some of that class action lawsuit goodness, oh yeah...$$$