Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

carrying spraypaint on planes

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by jamespolk, Jun 1, 2002.

1. jamespolk

jamespolk New Jack

I've run a search for this already, and come up blank. And this seems like it could benefit some people in this stupid post "9/11" world. Anyways, what is the legality of transporting cans on an airplane? Are they allowed in carry on or checked baggage? And if neither is possible, is my only alternative shipping cans?

My gut feeling is that cans aren't allowed at all. I'm spending some time overseas soon (no, not Europe... think remote jungle where paint is hard to come by) and I'd like to bring some cans.

thanks for the help.

James K. Polk

2. RING OF FIRE

RING OF FIRE New Jack

I travel via plane all the time. The only way you can carry spray paint is by checking your bag.

I remember I've accidently carried mace with me before 9/11 and nobody even questioned it. Now I can't even carry scissors.

3. *Repent*

*Repent* New Jack

you can easily bring paint on air planes. all u need to do is put in a bag that you check in, not carry on, because you'll never get it through the security check.and a little tip for you; put your paint in those big ziplock bags, you know the ones? just in case the presure or whatever starts to geek out in the can, you wont end up with paint onall your other shit in the bag. it works i just had to do it not to long ago!

4. sectorTVA

sectorTVA Senior Member

flying outta germany my boy checked 8 cans of belton....while he was waiting for his flight to depart they called him to the security desk and made him remove all his paint from his bag due to the flamable logo on the can....his mom in germany mailed the cans to my house, but they got here after he went back to germany...so now i got 8 new cans plus 3 other cans he mailed me earlier before he came to the states....good for me....i guess....

5. yoink

yoink Elite Member

where are you goin thats so remote?

just asking cause i have a friend who works in the mia airport and said they were absolutely cracking down on all that, not saying they get everythign , but that they are saying no to everythgin like that including paint...

6. SKUMBALUCKAH

SKUMBALUCKAH Senior Member

I have travelled with paint a few times with my hand luggage. They only stopped me and asked what it was for. No problems really.

7. yoink

yoink Elite Member

just wondering

noones had any problems with the pressure change? just asking cause i havent done it, and was wondering if anyones had any can accidents..?

8. ElectricitySucks

ElectricitySucks Veteran Member

i think the person who started this post is a PIG

9. jamespolk

jamespolk New Jack

Yoink, I'm going to be travelling around the Phillipines for awhile. Paint can be hard to come by in some areas. It seems like security is to tight. I could swear I've read they were xraying checked baggage too.

I think you're a fool. But you've caught me. Here's a recent photo.

http://www.camemorial.org/jpgs/leomf/tiffanyh81.jpg'>
    Why would I ask a bunch of internet vandals (you) about this? I could easily call up any airport or airline.

James Polk

10. yoink

yoink Elite Member

i was at the mia airport the other week and i was watching the screening in security and they had this video, get this, no spray cans, guns knifes you know the usual then another screen comes on and says you cant carry chainsaws on the plane..CHAINSAWS....geez whats the fucking world coming too when i cant carry my trusty chainsaw with me!! :D

11. Jewish Task Force

Jewish Task Force Senior Member

Depends on the airport.

If its paper label, like Belton, take the label off, it helps. I usually take it carry on. Its pressurized in the cabin so you know it wont blow.

12. jamespolk

jamespolk New Jack

Apparantly aerosol containers of any kind are not allowed (even in checked baggage). oh well.

13. Are2

Are2 Senior Member

the FAA does not allow any sort of spray paint on checked or carry on bags

however, i've gotten a couple (literally, 2) cans through regular security in an airport (in the past two months) ...however, i was subject to a random check at that last second before you walk down the breezeway and onto the plane...they found the paint, but they allowed me to do the 11th hour bag-check right there on the spot after some hemming and hawing about its legality...

so basically, you're just taking your chances..
    i would say there is only a very slim possibility of getting in any trouble other than losing your paint..

..any international airport will probably be slightly more concerced with security

14. fizm

fizm Member

what about guns? are guns ok?

15. jamespolk

jamespolk New Jack

yes, guns are okay as long as you promise that you won't fire them on the plane.