Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

car sound system question

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by seeking, Jan 28, 2004.

1. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

last night i hooked up amp/subs in my car. now, when i turn the stereo on and off, i get a 'pop' sound from the subs. what is this caused by, and how can i prevent it? it's not a huge deal, but it doesnt sound that great, and there must be some way to stop it.

special bonus question:
    my subs aren't hitting nearly as hard as they used to in my old car. granted, it was a hatchback (i'm in a jetta now) so there was nothing between the subs and the cabin, but still.... is this because i'm using the stock head? this is a pretty basic set up were talking here...JL 10's, and a sony amp. both of which are atleast 6 or so years old. nothing fancy or extravigant. i dont want some crazy system, just something that sounds decent.

ok, i guess that part isnt really a question, but a statement.
    so just answer the first.
    and feel free to include any audio secrets.
    holler.

2. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

i believe that pop sound is coming from your amp. since it's hooked up to a factory radio you needed a Line Output Converter so that might be it.

3. johnny

johnny Dirty Dozen Crew

ka-ching, ka-ching

4. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i've got a LOC, that's what it's running off. it's connected to the stock amp. the LOC lines are feeding off of the signals INTO the amp, not out to the speakers, which i've been told is the better way to go.

there must be a way to 'not' have the pop.

5. johnny

johnny Dirty Dozen Crew

seeks, i used to know how to solve that but it's been so long. i think pistol's onto something. i'll ask my broham too. he's got an eclipse 8810 sub forsale too if you're interested...

[​IMG]

6. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

not really. i'll get a new head before new subs.
    what's he want for it though?

i'm sure pistol is right, i mean, i know it's a signal issue, i just dont know how to fix it.
    someone was saying something about a 'relay' or soemthing like that, which effects the amount of power that the 'remote turn on' puts out. might that be it?

this summer im gonna pull some serious install shit.
    building the subs into the sides of the trunk i think. that or a false floor. either way, it's gonna all be hidden.

7. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

I remember one of my boys having this exact same problem...I'll see if I can fish an answer out of him.

8. Milton

Milton Senior Member

Its probably because you're connecting to the stock head. As far as it not being as loud as it was before, its cause hatchbacks are always louder. Just slide the box as far back against the wall of the trunk as you can, and face the speakers towards the back not the front. And if you're running a sealed box think of venting it... Maybe?

WOrd

9. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

i know that happens to my computer system when i turn the lights off, light it is gettin a huge jolt of enery, its probbaly something in relation to that, i would ust take it to a shop and they will do it cheap steez. Congrats on the jetta, i wish i still had mine...lucky seeks

10. khaotic970

khaotic970 New Jack

yeah man congrats on the car thats sick! I wish i knew about this shit I just got a Alpine deck installed at the local place here and it was good work! Look up in the owners manual if ou got for that problem. Also the local stereo shop could probally fix it for free! just tell them you want a quote tell them to listen and they will tell you whats wrong!! yeah boye

11. heavyLox

heavyLox Veteran Member

this is exactly what you need, my explanation will confuse you more, but when the stock gets power it sends a fully loaded signal to the amp powering the sub, thus quick POP. THis happened in the truck after i got the sub there i lived with it fir a week or so then got the Line out put converter and fixola.

Its just a lil thingie that goes between the amp line out and the line out to control the flow of current to the amp, so it takes a second th get the juice to your amp, so you hear the reg speakers first then once the power is full it turns the sub on so no pop.

12. When

When 12oz Loyalist

the stock head unit doesnt help things,
    but its all about spl (sound pressure level)
    a trunk is a very different environment airspace wise than a hatchback
    you just need to get the components you want to run
    -head unit
    -amp(s)
    -sub(s)
    and then do some calculations so you can
    take advantage of the airspace you have
    and also make a correct sub enclosure for it

13. anonymity1

anonymity1 Senior Member

That sound is not good...could cause damage to your audio equipment

14. geezpot

geezpot Elite Member

Relay Pop
    Relay turn-off pop is caused by components in the system turning off before the amplifier completely shuts off. In most cases, the component will be an EQ or signal processor. Usually adding a little turn-off delay to the offending processor can fix the problem. This allows the processor to turn off after the amplifier, preventing the pop. Many components have this feature built in, and it is adjustable. Check the manual to see if your component has this feature available.

15. GucciCondom

GucciCondom Veteran Member

my boy had his shit rigged up all grimey..and when he would open the door the subs would make a thump like the door was music or someshit hah.