Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

car problems

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by haunts, Jan 6, 2005.

1. haunts

haunts Member

so i just moved. when i arrived in my new city i bought a used car for around a 1000 dollars or so. the fourth time that i drove it the timing belt blew causing the water pump to break, etc, etc. the total bill is 1500 dollars to fix all the repairs which is about what the car is worth in total going by the blue book. because i bought the car from a private party the money that i origonally paid for the car is unretreivable and theres nothing i can do about it. so tommarow i have to try to go get a loan from a local dealership and they are willing to give me 500 dollars for a trade in for the broken vehicle. this is the first car that i have had in about 7 years. go figure. the auto shops have told me that there is no way to tell when the timing belt is going to go so it is just one of those fluke situations where it blewout right after i bought the car. im not sure if i will be able to get a loan tommarow, my only property that is not paint or the clothes on my back or some books and music is that car that is sitting in the repair shop. needless to say i think one has to have colladeral to get a loan which i dont have and my credit is terrible. i wouldnt mind as much if i was in a warmer climate but its winter and i live in the north...way north. so it looks like im about to get acquainted with the local bus system for awhile.

anybody else ever have similar problems?

2. GLIK$

GLIK$ Dirty Dozen Crew

nope, never.

3. Nekro

Nekro Elite Member

Can't say I have.

4. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

if the water pump is the only thing that broke, I believe you're getting fucked.

I'm having my timing belt and water pump replaced this weekend for less than $500. I believe the dealership wanted $750 plus tax. all timing belts have a certain time period in which they need to be replaced. I believe most fall in the 60k to 90k range. So basically any miles over that and you are rolling the dice. When it does break it can do considerable damage and end up costing a lot more. So...are you sure the water pump is the only thing that broke? Oh yea, the water pump is typically replaced at the same time the belt is replaced.

and yes you need collateral in order to get a loan. car dealerships on one hand love to fuck people...so they might give you one...for a price.

there's always public transportation or a bike.

5. haunts

haunts Member

so it turns out that the radiators leaking as well as a few other problems not including the belt and water pump. i dont really know what to do. i have student loans that i can use for collateral but then i will be spending money thats allocated for stuff like food and housing. i dont know, im sure everything will work out its just frustrating.

6. earo 35

earo 35 Senior Member

i dont even have a permit yet...

i'd say thats pretty bad.

7. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

how bad is the radiator leaking and from where?

there are stop leak radiator products on the market. check your local auto parts store. if its cracked...use the steel version of JB weld. trust me, it works.

I'd call an individual mechanic or ask some people you can trust if they know of someone and get a second opinion. the dealership is always way more expensive than it needs to be.

btw. you can live on ramen noodles. I've done it. that and bread sticks.

8. T=E=A=S=E

T=E=A=S=E Elite Member

you have been warned for saying stupid shit. :rolleyes:

exactly. doesnt make much sense. :nope:

anyways, back to the thread:

dude, youre a...:

[​IMG]

you fell for it...:

[​IMG]

9. haunts

haunts Member

thank you tease

i dont know what id do without you

10. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

i have changed two timing belts in my lifetime, with the help of my dad.

bleeding brakes, changing rotors, pcv valves, sparkplugs, air filters, fan belts... you need to do that shit yo self holmes.

there is something incredibly fun about aiming that gun at the timing belt.
    (the gun that sets the timing, not the one you use to shoot your car)

:shook:

11. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

[​IMG]

you need a chilton's manual for your car.
    these things rule.

oh, and cars suck.
    fuck em.
    i gave mine up two years ago and i only miss it when i can't catch a ride to the yard.

12. fatalist

fatalist Dirty Dozen Crew

Good luck bro,car problems fuckin suck.

13. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

it would be really easy to replace those things.

14. heavyLox

heavyLox Veteran Member

i got 99 problems but a car aint 1.

15. ClueTwo

ClueTwo Veteran Member

Yes it would...If you even pay 500.00 to replace a water pump and timing belt you're fucked. Now someone like Steve Austin probably has the loot to do such a thing and depending on the car (probably jetta/passat or soemthing along those lines) I would go ahead pay the money..

Someone like yourself though...Buy a damn Chilton, Water pump, and timing belt and fix it yourself. Of course, you will have to have someone around with a timing light, but nigguh please..make it happen......