car problem - question

Bloc131

my keys wont go all the way into the ignition. they go part of the way but dont go all the way in to start the car up. i've messed with the sttering column (just moved it up and down) but that didn't work. the steering wheel is locked in position. didn't seem to be a problem. maybe i've just never done that. what should i do to make it work?

thanks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the key seems fine. it's just that it wont go in. i had a similar problem once in this car and it eventually went in. doesnt seem to be the case this time.

i had a 4 runner once that this happened with. a towtruck had to raise it up to offset something i think?

lock cylinders break everyday. its nothing new. usually on domestic crap. (i hate to say it) working in a shop, i have seen about 4 people in the last 3 or so years that pumped gas and went to start their car back up and couldnt get a key in.

depending what make model and year you got it could be a big job or it could be 5 minutes to pop it out and put in another one. old fords and early 90's jeeps, 5 minutes tops. most cars now, a major job in the steering column. if you have air bags, tilt column etc... tack on more labor.

do you have the right car?

interesting story...

one of my friends in college asked to borrow another friends car to drive to the closest big city. Dude goes out jumps in homeboys red RX7 and is gone all day in the thing. Comes back hours later, parks the car and gives the keys back to the friend. The friend asks him where he parked it and the guy replied that he put it in the exact same parking lot as before... North - East of the dorms. Dudes like... what? My car was parked in the South - West lot. Come to find out my friend took someone elses car. The keys just happened to fit a car that looked exactly the same as the other guys.

in reality...either theres something stuck in there or you need a new cylinder...and yeah...I've noticed.

Originally posted by angelofdeath

lock cylinders break everyday. its nothing new. usually on domestic crap. (i hate to say it) working in a shop, i have seen about 4 people in the last 3 or so years

If they're breaking everyday and it's so common, how come you've only seen a few in a few years...Seems pretty rare to me?? :confused:

Archived