Car Help!!

Dirty_habiT

I know there's some of you on here who are gear heads... well my girlfriend's car had an exhaust leak which was robbing precious HP from her 6cyl 2001 Mustang. I got that fixed. And the car drives better, the thing is it still has a hesitation and a small shudder if you step on the gas. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is it fuel injectors being clogged, the fuel filter? I replaced the air filter as well so I don't think that's it. Any help is appreciated... also bear in mind that I don't consider "Ford sucks" as a helpful reply.

If you have any car problems and need help from those on this forum I encourage you to post here. Thank you.

--Dhabz

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm not sure, but it could be the TPS or the MAP. Shit, I wish I could help more, but I'm drawing a blank. Maybe some food will help. This is a common occurence, and I hope you won't have to spend big bucks. What have you checked so far? O2 sensor? Fuel pressure? If a sensor is amiss, the computer will be getting the wrong information, and there is your problem.

^^^hence the problems with these newer cars. Everything is computer controled and as soon as one of these little sensors or computer chips goes wrong a whole slew of other problems will arize. I am sure that from the car getting the wrong info and not operating in the manner it was manufactured to operate does also cause some harm.

if I were you I would try running some fuel injector cleaner through it and if hta does work manually clean them yourself...i am just saying this because you mentioned the fuel system. There are alot of different things that can cause it to do this.

Weapon... please explain what a TPS and MAP are because as I do know a little bit about cars, I don't know enough to go into acronyms and such. I have recently used fuel injector cleaner in the car and I always put 93 octane in it as well. Anyhow, any other tips are helpful, I'll see about getting the computer checked for problems. Thanks.

I know what's wrong.

Your mechanic fixed one thing and broke another... haha...

no I'm not sure.

Hard to say. Hesitation and shudder... hmm... could be any one of those things mentioned. Maybe you could describe the problem in more detail? Fuel pump? I dunno... transmission problem? Piston out? Timing? I have absolutely no clue.

Wow. This is tough.

Automatic or manual?

If it's automatic and it hesitates to get into gear, it's a transmission problem. Hesitating and hesitating to get into gear is a completely different thing though.

It's really hard to diagnose shit like this, especially on new cars, unless it's sitting in front of you.

Here's my problem, I have a Mazda Protege, fairly new, and when I stop at redlights the car begins to smell like rotten egg/sulfer. The guys at the service place don't know what's going on, my ex-roommate said it was a busted catilac converter or whatever that is. I know nothing about cars but I don't like the smell of rotten Dunkin Donuts breakfast sandwiches.

Check the plugs for oil you say? I'm thinking it may be an electrical problem as well... my girlfriend flips out and says the car only does that when you drive it how you're not supposed to.... but a Mustang is supposed to be a fast car and if you step on the gas from a stop it shouldn't studder. It's not hesitating to get into gear, it's just if you give it too much gas... it's an automatic, it runs fine and drives great, it's just when you try to haul ass from a stop it kind of putters and takes a good second before it catches and goes. I'm thinking it might need new plugs, either that or a new fuel filter.

Originally posted by fermentor666@Mar 5 2005, 02:32 PM

Here's my problem, I have a Mazda Protege, fairly new, and when I stop at redlights the car begins to smell like rotten egg/sulfer. The guys at the service place don't know what's going on, my ex-roommate said it was a busted catilac converter or whatever that is. I know nothing about cars but I don't like the smell of rotten Dunkin Donuts breakfast sandwiches.

sounds like a leak in the heater core of the A/C.

Dhabz - the TPS is the Throttle Position Sensor. So basically it senses whether the throttle is at. Wide open, closed, etc. If the computer is getting wrong information from the TPS, it will cause bad fuel flow.

Oh yeah, before I continue - the MIL light isn't going on, is it?

The MAP is the sensor that measures the absolute pressure in the manifold and sends it to the computer. By doing this, the computer knows what kind of load the car is under and adjusts the fuel and timing accordingly. I'm not sure if this is the problem, though.

Keep in mind that I have no idea what Ford calls these parts, but it's all the same shit, different term.

Originally posted by GEEB@Mar 5 2005, 01:55 AM

No offense but i dont trust mechanics, one time i had to get an oil filter removed and replaced and the ass hole ended up taking a screw driver and poked holes in the anti-freeze tank, fucking grease monkey..

How does a screwdriver get involved with changing the oil filter?

Getting back to the thread..

40983AEM.jpg

Originally posted by swif1+Mar 5 2005, 09:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swif1 - Mar 5 2005, 09:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-GEEB@Mar 5 2005, 01:55 AM

No offense but i dont trust mechanics, one time i had to get an oil filter removed and replaced and the ass hole ended up taking a screw driver and poked holes in the anti-freeze tank, fucking grease monkey..

How does a screwdriver get involved with changing the oil filter?

[/b]

Well, obviously you need it to poke holes in the anti-freeze reservior.

^^that's shitty... I was driving the car more tonight and experienced the same studdering problem... it's really annoying when you're trying to burn someone off the line and it doesn't really start accelerating for a good 2 seconds. I'm probably gonna check/change the plugs tomorrow, and I'll let you all know if that helped.

How hard is it to replace the spark plug wires?

Originally posted by swif1@Mar 5 2005, 11:08 PM

a screwdriver get involved with changing the oil filter?

On new cars its sometimes really difficult to remove the oil filter, so you have to ram a screwdriver through it in order to get it out. Just the oil filter, not the antifreeze tank.

Dirty. Yeah, check for oil or a huge gap in the plugs. One of them could be fouled or its just time to replace them. Unfortunately stuttering can be a lot of different things. I'd start with the simple ones I mentioned first.

first of all, you're initial mistake is trying to burn people with a 6cy mustang.

;)

changing wires/plugs is cake. easiest way to do it is to replace them one wire at a time, so you don't mess up and put them in the wrong order at th distributor cap.