CAPS sooperthread

haunts

i realise theres a possiblity of this getting closed but i searched and found nothing like this so maybe if this stayed open it would save countless threads being opened like in the past.

okay. im about to put in a order from a company that carries a fair number of caps. my problem is i dont know much about european caps whatsoever. i dug through threads for 2 hours care of the search option to no avail.

basically im hoping that this thread can be an area where we can talk about caps that we have never heard of. if i had them id take them out and use them to find out what the differences are but i dont have the money to order all of them to experiment with.

so here we go.

of course we all know what ny thins/fats and rusto fats are.

i know what german greys (thins) are but in the past i used the first ones on the market. whats the difference between the first made and the second (skinny bananna)? anything? from what ive found digging around on websites is that they are the same except the second ones work on walmart paint.

transversal-calligraphy based work, any difference between this and fantip? it looks the same to me

orange dot-quiet fill cap, 4-5 fingers in width

blue dot-4-5 fingers, good for fades and less overspray

gold dot-1/2 finger in width, details (characters, highlights)

grey dot-1/2 finger in width, details and fades/shading

black dot-harder stream than german thin, outlines with certain paint

black hood-1 finger in width, outlines details (all black?)

nosle skinny-fine work, hard line (these remind me of mixing caps)

so here are some questions then (width? overspray? etc)..

bananna white dot?

bananna yellow dot?

fat silver cap?

fat pink? (ive used this but it wasnt on the right paint and clogged immediately, i only had 1)

soft?

super soft?

white hood(all white or what)?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think a lot of those euro caps are pretty much the same, they just make them different colors to sell more.

i could be wrong, i've only tried a handful of different ones, including gold dot, pink dot and all the skinnies..

caps really aren't my thing though, stocks or a good piecing cap and a rusto fat is all you really need.

yeah i definately agree. its just that i was going to get some montana and i was under the impression rustos and ny's dont work with euro paint.

ive decided that im just going to stick with the german thins as far as the montana is concerned because i know how to use them and i dont really have to worry about overspray. but im still really curious about this rainbow variety of caps these days. it got me wondering if people will stop in the middle of the piece and throw on a new cap for shading or fading instead of the one they have, i dont know the thought seemed silly to me.

i was definately overwhelmed when i saw the options and it started to make sense as to why ive seen the yard littered with cap posts in the past until it was cleaned up.

Guest sneak

the standard cap i use for bombing, throws, pieces etc is a grey banana with the black dot. fuck knows what its called all these technical terms are bollocks. fat, medium, skinny and super skinny is all thats needed.

the cap im on about is pretty much a medium sized spray. i use it for fills, outlines, tags. its usually the most consistent cap.

does anyone know what i mean when i talk about a dark gey cap (not banana style) with a black dot. i think its montana made? its proper shite, you never know whether youve picked up a skinny or a super fat and they clogg within minutes..

rusto stocks

american accents stocks

painters touch stocks

rusto fats

ny piecing caps [from before 1995?]

all work on montana, except montana alien, which have a special cap just for them.

the ny piecing caps i have are old as hell, and from what i hear from other writers, the ones that people get today are not like that (and frequently clog on rusto and euro paint)..the ones i have i had gotten from flashbacks in 1994 or so and they work great.

these might be the caps people sometimes call 'softballs'

they are a lot like the caps people used to steal off krylon krystal klear

maybe. i have no idea. i feel uncomfortable questioning what your saying cause youve been in this some years more than me obviously but ive always been under the impression that soft' and the soft varietys were shaped like german fat caps but the pressure is much softer and thats where they get their name. like a german grey compared to a ny fat as far as pressure goes for example.

its just that i dont know that as fact and i could be way off so thats why i question myself as well in this situation. i dont know what the differences are between the soft caps though, i assume the width of the spray. like ive seen some caps advertised that hit 5 inches wide. thats insane to me, and unless i was rocking a whole car i dont think id be able to use them in a way that would take advantage of them although i could see how that would be extremely handy for street work as far as fills go. as well i wouldnt want to use them unless they can rock work in one coat because it would feel like a waste of paint doing 2 or 3 coats with a cap that lethal.

people called those things softballs at least as early as 1993, as in, way before expensive euro paint and fancy ass caps.

but yeah, i assume it has to do either with the pressure (soft) or the maximum width of the spray (softball size) ..may also be a regional lingo thing (like the gazillion different names for double outline/forcefield/shell/skin/etc./etc..)

either way, the piecing caps i use are old

and are definitely NOT what you get today when buying 'ny thins' or 'ny piecing caps'

sp i don't know how those caps perform on euro paint, i hear not very well.

however, caps that fit rusto/amaccents/painterstouch will fit spanish montana, and rusto fats and stocks work well and don't have serius cloggin issues.

that being said, i can't say what those caps do on german montana, or belton.

a couple years ago i abandoned special caps and started using stocks a lot.

although i enjoy those huge fats from europe,

it helps to get used to using a crappy cap and fuck all the special tools, imo

**MONTANA ALIEN. notorious cap clogger. i can't seem to get thorugh a can without using at least 5 caps. and nothing else that i know of works on there. fuckin a, when you order it request extra caps!?

I remember those "softballs" being called phantoms where i'm from. those caps were the fuckin shit and i'd give my left arm for some of those right now. i used to clean out all the art stores back in the day.

as for this discussion...

one thing to mention straight away is...

caps made for the Spanish Montana will not work on the German Montana, but will work on most other paints.

The Germans are the ones who are fucking with everyone with this new cap line bullshit. The caps made for the German Montana will only work with their line of paint.

for the Alien... normal, oldschool regular belton caps work on Aliens nicely.

it's always amused me that people who get real into caps, 9 times out of 10, can't paint a decent piece to save their life regardless of what you put in their hand. meanwhile the cats who do the sickest stuff usually use nothing by ny's and rustos....maybe a regular german thin.

just my observation.

if i need a line that's 1/2 a finger wide, i use a ny thin, hold the can close to the wall and go fast. if it's still not thin enough, i cut it. if i want a line 4 inches wide, i use a ny fat on rusto/pt/aa. if i need a very solid line 4 inches wide, i use a rusto and make two passes. if i need a line 9 inches wide, i use a roller. as someone once said 'video killed the radio star'. kids now a days are bound by technology. take away their caps and they're screwed. they don't even know about shaving stems. you want a pencil thin line, make an 'LA' cap. what's an 'LA' cap? nevermind...

softballs were called that because they would spray a perfect softball sized dot. phantoms, from my understanding, were similar to fixative caps. as symbols pointed out, it's all pretty regional.

Stockcaps=caps that comes with the can?

if so.

I never ever heard anyone ever talk about using stockcaps in europe. Long before you could buy caps at stores and even before you could buy caps from a friends friends friend who knew someone, people didnt use stockcaps, they racked better caps from other cans. Because face it stockcaps are usually only good for one thing and that is they dont clog.

yes, stocks are the cap that comes with the can.

stocks are good when you run out or forget your other fancy caps.

plus it saves money.

if you suck at can control, it will show when you use stocks, yes.

but people have been racking caps off other cans of paint since the beginning, even in the states, which is WHY i mentioned that people USED to rack caps off krylon krystal klear.

and WD-40 caps got used for mixing paint.

this is not some european phenomenon.

i would assume that shit happened in europe anyway, since some brands of paint don't even come with caps!

but, i have learned that VERSATILITY is one of the most important things in graf

and that being tied to a cap is like only being able to draw with a number4 pencil.

don't rope yourself in by learning technique only with special caps, would be my advice.

Originally posted by iloveyoursister+Mar 16 2005, 07:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iloveyoursister - Mar 16 2005, 07:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-haunts@Mar 15 2005, 11:40 PM

fat pink? (ive used this but it wasnt on the right paint and clogged immediately, i only had 1)

Very weird that a pink dot clogged right away, because pink dots are caps that are least likely to clog.

[/b]

maybe it was orange then i dont know. i just remember pink for some reason, it could have been gold for all i know.

so this may sound stupid but does anybody know around what year companies started manufacturing specialized spraypaint caps for writing. also why are rusto caps called rusto? they can be used on other cans. and was there ever a rusto skinny? ive wondering these questions since i started painting, maybe ill finally get some answers.

splint2 posted this in the spray paint thread and i thought id repost in here since its on the topic.

-Krylon

german outlines

ny thins

ny fats

german bluedots

german blackdots

german greydots

german orangedot fats

german jumbos

-Rusto

german outlines (some cans, others they screw up)

ny thins

rusto fats

-Montana

german outlines

german bluedots

german blackdots

german orangedot fats

german jumbos

Originally posted by haunts+Mar 16 2005, 09:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (haunts - Mar 16 2005, 09:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by iloveyoursister@Mar 16 2005, 07:25 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-haunts@Mar 15 2005, 11:40 PM

Very weird that a pink dot clogged right away, because pink dots are caps that are least likely to clog.

maybe it was orange then i dont know. i just remember pink for some reason, it could have been gold for all i know.

so this may sound stupid but does anybody know around what year companies started manufacturing specialized spraypaint caps for writing. also why are rusto caps called rusto? they can be used on other cans. and was there ever a rusto skinny? ive been wondering these questions since i started painting, maybe ill finally get some answers.

splint2 posted this in the spray paint thread and i thought id repost in here since its on the topic.

-Krylon

german outlines

ny thins

ny fats

german bluedots

german blackdots

german greydots

german orangedot fats

german jumbos

-Rusto

german outlines (some cans, others they screw up)

ny thins

rusto fats

-Montana

german outlines

german bluedots

german blackdots

german orangedot fats

german jumbos

[/b]

Ive tried a number of these caps , Gold dots pink dots grey dots , all greys blah blah blah . Yes some of them work well , but after spending money buying them i end up always going back to Regular old german outlines and /or NY thins. theyre by far the 2 most versatile caps i know of .

My .02

I once tried using those weird nozzle caps. The paint came out in a damn splat. Is that the purpose of the cap? I have to admit, when i first seen it i thought it would create a really thin line. Guess not.

I say if youre just starting out, and havent been cap standardized already, just use the stuff that comes with your can, the stock tip. One, theres no extra cost for you to go out and buy caps. Two, if you can piece with just one tip, you can gain better can control. Of course, one could say the stock tips on Euro paint isnt exactly what we think of as "stock", but i think you got my drift. Specialty caps can be helpful i suppose, but its still possible to get really thin lines in your piece solely using a fat cap...Nothing wrong with challenging your skills. ;)

Also, while thinking about caps, i realized the one problem with spray paint is the inevitable problem of overspray. Of course, many here will claim they dont have the problem, but i have yet to see that perfectly clean piece. As a side note, to all the beginners out here, not only should you be checking out pieces from afar, but also up close. Im still amazed by some peoples can control, especially when their fill got little effects that can only be seen from upclose. :king:

Originally posted by caffeine@Mar 17 2005, 02:36 AM

i have yet to see that perfectly clean piece.

then you're not looking at the right pieces.

seriously, when i hear people talk about all these caps, i just want to slap them out of their hands and say 'just learn how to paint, pussy'.

however, i will also never advocate just using stocks. that whole period in graff (2000-2001) when everyone was painting shitty sloppy graffiti was a black eye on our history. you can get 100 ny thins for 7 bucks. that's two beers at the bar. there is no excuse.