capping numbers

ghostvandal

I was thinking about this with my buddies for a while, and I still dont get it. Lots of people that have been around on freights for a while (play, isto, kwest, just to name a few) still go over numbers..is there something i'm missing? is it because they just dont give a fuck about it or does it just dont matter at all..? what are your opinions on this? I always try to avoid hitting numbers and black box unless its so rusty you cant see them anyways.. :confused:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

going over the numbers,blackbox,and other info is wack because...

1. it's disrespectful to the workers,because the numbers need to be visible or they have the shit repainted

2. theres a better chance of railworkers noticing or caring about a piece on a train if you cover the numbers.

3. you will get stamped...most of the time stamped so badly that ur piece wont be readable and probably wouldnt even be worth taking a picture of

that's just my thoughts on it

Guest cheesecurd

this is so stupid, i shouldn't even be saying this but...

if you want your fr8 to get pulled out of its normal rotation and maybe just maybe sent off on a diffrent line, go over all the numbers. fuck it. it'll get stamped *hopefully you planned for this* and maybe it'll live out it's life some where slightly more exotic with sexy battle scars.

i think it's a great skill builder though trying to not go over them numbers and monikers with out compromising your shit.

and i don't wanna piss off my local werkers.

Originally posted by ghostvandal

I was thinking about this with my buddies for a while, and I still dont get it. Lots of people that have been around on freights for a while (play, isto, kwest, just to name a few) still go over numbers..is there something i'm missing? is it because they just dont give a fuck about it or does it just dont matter at all..? what are your opinions on this? I always try to avoid hitting numbers and black box unless its so rusty you cant see them anyways.. :confused:

some people just paint for the picture. they would rather paint the piece the way they planned rather than manuever it around a load limit box, not caring what happens to it after it rolls out since they will never see it again. other people like you said just dont care, and sometimes get lucky by having their piece run. also certain companies are stricter about buffing and repainting the numbers than others.

but still, just avoid the numbers and you wont have to worry. seems like the better choice dont you think?

thanks guys for your opinions.. Cheesecurd you bring out a good point.. I was actually thinking about it previously this week..it would be kinda cool to do a wholecar on a box, and hit both side..like let say i do my wholecar on one side and my buddy do it on the other side, then buff the id numbers on the side walls on top too. they would have absolutely no idea what the fuck that box is hehehe. but again, it would probably heat the spot as fuck and if you have a wholecar spot, chances are you dont wanna blow it just to do a prank at the rr company..you would also risk a whole new painting job for that car and lose your freshly done wholecar.

hatebreeder i can see where you're coming from.. i guess it will change my prejudices of when i see someone over the numbers. it still pisses me off when a local writer that has been around for more then 5 years go over the numbers in a spot that i and other writers go too and watch out for the numbers.:o

I've already seen some new boxcars with the info and blackbox pretty high so that you cant reach it when you paint it. Pretty fucking nice for ladder to ladder e2e. I dont remember exactly but i think it was either the new cn, aok or qgry..but Ive seen it for sure and hopefully the other companies will follow..

I saw a BCOL ridgie freshpaint with the info out of reach, good move.

I'm mostly with hatebreeder on this one. After so many years of talking about what you can do to keep things chill, I shrug a lot. People will do what they're gonna do. I painted with one opinionated head who said of being stamped, "Fuck it, it makes my flick all the more vintage." Sometimes toys have already gone over the weights, so when I go over them there's nothing to save, and sometimes I rewrite the numbers with a streaker over my piece and sometimes I don't get around to it. Other than that it's a habit for me to leave small holes where all the numbers are, mostly because I think workers know what's up at some of my spots and they appreciate that I save the numbers and so they don't report the spot being painted. That's the best reason to avoid numbers. If you paint burnt spots, a lot of the "keep it chill" rules are moot so do what you want.

I doubt I'll ever do it, but it occurred to me one time to do a wholecar forgery - for example repainting one entire side of a CSX box to make it look like a UP, with correct color scheme, logos, and some fake numbers, just to trip people out.

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

to do a wholecar forgery - for example repainting one entire side of a CSX box to make it look like a UP, with correct color scheme, logos, and some fake numbers, just to trip people out.

Hahaha, that'd be awesome. or maybe just do a wholecar custom paint job...take a regular CSX and add tons of racing stripes and maybe the chessie cat logo and do it all in standard CSX colors.

If it looked authentic workers would be flipping out over the "new" CSX's...

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

The ultimate "save the numbers" challenge has to be painting the left panel of an Ontario Northland box. They have the weights, car dimensions, and extra stuff, in regular and then again in metric next to it, it's tough to get a piece around all that crap.

yeah i know i experienced it last week..it kinda looks cool though with all the lil holes when you look at it from far.

Don't fake the funk

These rules people come up with are really gay. I say paint over the numbers and Fuck the rest. If toys can't get up in a hot spot and you can, you've won. I did it and I'm still painting that spot. I've painted that spot when it was the chill'st spot and when it was the hottest spot. I've painted there for over 7 yrs. even after some fr8 legends (some writers that have been writing over 15 yrs) came into my spot and got busted over some stupid shit. If I told you who they were I garuntee every one in the US, Canada, and Mexico would know who I'm talking about. But I'm not in the habit of naming names, and if i did the cops would be knocking down my door. bottom line is I started graff to get away from rules and defy the odds. If that's not why you're writing, I would question if you are doing it for the right reasons.

Ten Commandments

in tha hip hop scriptures

I. Thou shall not bite.

II. Thou shall not side bust

III. Thou shall not make spots hot.

IV. Don't go Over my piece(but i can go over yours).

V. Dont go Over the Numbers.

VI. Don't buy your paint with a gold credit card.

VII. No Shameless self promotion

VIII. no Painting other peoples spots.

IX. leave good box cars for good writers.

X. Toys Go Home!!

:king:

Re: Don't fake the funk

Originally posted by Fr8G

Ten Commandments

in tha hip hop scriptures

I. Thou shall not bite.

II. Thou shall not side bust

III. Thou shall not make spots hot.

IV. Don't go Over my piece(but i can go over yours).

V. Dont go Over the Numbers.

VI. Don't buy your paint with a gold credit card.

VII. No Shameless self promotion

VIII. no Painting other peoples spots.

IX. leave good box cars for good writers.

X. Toys Go Home!!

hip hop?

dude, shut the fuck up.

i prefer to not go over the numbers for all the obvious reasons.

but, sometimes no one has tape, and/or i just don't give a fuck.

it's the same kinda deal as a mask.

if i remember to bring it, and i'm feeling responsible, i'll wear it.

sometimes though, it's all about saying "fuck it"

see.. ive gone over numbers countless times, i used to not care at all.. judge me all you want, but the fact of the matter is it just didn't matter to me.. now i try to paint to the right of the numbers, or like the time i had to go over them i put duct tape over the numbers.. that way the flick still looks good.. except i was drunk so i forgot to take the tape off haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I skimmed through a few post....

So hopefully this wasnt posted earlier...

But...... A good way to get a nice flick while STILL

going over the numbers... Take some BULK MASKING

TAPE with you next time.

Tape up The black boxes AND the numbers.

If you dont know which numbers im sure

theres a thread for that somewhere.

Anyways... paint your shit AFTER you have strategically

placed the TAPE over the OBJECTS and such to where

AFTER you take your FLICKS you can PEEL the tape WITHOUT

OMITTING much of your artwork.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by TURBO DOG@Nov 11 2004, 02:25 AM

why you wanna talk shit on my man isto...he be going over numbers??? daaaaaaamn why you wanna talk on him like that man???? yo ist dont let em get ya down ya heard!!

daaaaaaamn i dont think you understood my point man, kwest and isto are some of my favorite writers i aint talking shit on them, just wondering what are they thinking (something maybe I dont know..? )when they paint over the numbers