Canvas Economics.

Guest Remy Martin

Guest Remy Martin

I just got commissioned to do a canvas...plus i want to start doing more....but i want big canvas's...so to be cost effective, i have power tools and shit..i want to stretch my own...cause canvas and lumber is cheap...

ideas anybody?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Remy Martin

yeah.....i know..but hanging walls in other peoples houses is difficult..

what i meant to say is, has anybody stretched their own canvas's and made their own frames.

never made my own frames, like the individual pieces of wood. but i've put together some pieces and made a frame. i've stretched plenty canvas... it's easy as hell. what you could do, is cut whatever lengths you want, and a reasonable width for each piece... then put em together with those L joints or whatever they're called... the shit you would use for cabinet shelves or somethin... i hope you know what i'm talkin about... then just stretch your canvas over that. it'll work perfectly.

Guest Remy Martin

hmm...

my main curiousity is they techniuqe of stretching it..i can copy a frame design easy enough..

so im guessing you use tacks or small nails to attatch it to the frame.

i get canvas for five dollars a sqaure yard for the raw shit..so stretching it and priming it on a frame i can make for 20 bucks is a must.

if you wouldnt mind, would you break down as best you can your techniuqe for stretching and attatching the canvas to the frame?

i'm pretty sloppy about it, my technique works for me.... i hope you can understand what i'm sayin... i'm no good at givin directions..

first, you cut the canvas a few inches bigger than the frame when it's laid down on it.

fold the canvas over the top side, put a staple in the top left corner... then fold the canvas over the bottom side, pull on it so it's tight, put a staple in the bottom right corner.. do this same thing to the remaining two sides... making sure you pull the canvas so it's tight before you staple it... then when you have 4 staples in it... put staples opposite the ones you have in... just make sure you pull the damn thing so it stays tight, or you'll have to use a lot of gesso on it, which is a pain in the ass... then when you're done stapling the sides... you staple the centers of each side.. pull on the goddamn thing so it's tight!.. i can't stress that enough... then when you're done with the centers, if you need more staples in it... do what you gotta do.. then the corners you just fold so they aren't all fucked up lookin, pull on em tight, and staple em down... no sweat... hope those instructions weren't too bad.... it would be much easier to just draw out or do the shit physically... damn...

Guest Remy Martin

thanks for the advice.

my friend actually used to stretch canvas for a living and im gonna get him to help me. but i was bored so i thought i would ask.

im looking at a seven by four frame and will make sure to have hands help me stretch it.

ill definitley try to post step by step instructions with photos...

canvas's are good stuff and raw canvas and lumber is cheap..specially if you got the come up on the r and r.

right on.....thanks again.

Guest imported_Tesseract

I always staple the in the middle first and then i do the corners...

anyway.

Dont stretch TO tight if you want to keep the angles at 90 degrees.

usually when i have those metal pieces holdin the frame i don't have any problem with it gettin all out of angle.... but yeah, if you're just using the usual stretchers it can get like that... i guess it doesn't matter how you staple it first... just as long as it's tight... hm..

Guest imported_Tesseract

The dont overstrech tip is really usefull.

Even if you dont worry about your corners, your canvas could rip off at some places after sometime.

Dont underestimate the powers of constant pressure, you'd be amazed in how many ways wooden frames can bend after some time.

You put that fucker on the wall and it looks like a skate ramp.

Archived