Canada approves gay marrige rights

RumPuncher

Canada approves gay marriage

Associated Press

Wednesday June 29, 2005

• Canada last night became the third country in the world to approve gay marriages when MPs passed a historic bill granting same-sex couples equal rights to those in traditional marriages.

The bill was passed by the Canadian House of Commons despite strong opposition from religious leaders and conservative MPs.

Gay marriage is already legal in seven provinces in Canada, but the new legislation grants same-sex couples the same legal rights as heterosexual couples nationwide. The Netherlands and Belgium are the only other countries to allow gay marriages.

The bill - drafted by the minority Liberal party government of the Canadian prime minister, Paul Martin - has been hailed as a step forward for human rights.

"We are a nation of minorities," Mr Martin said. "And in a nation of minorities, it is important that you don't cherry-pick rights. A right is a right, and that is what this vote tonight is all about."

The legislation split the Liberal party, with 158 MPs voting to pass the bill and 133 against. The junior cabinet minister Joe Comuzzi, responsible for development in northern Ontario, resigned on Tuesday rather than voting on the issue.

The Catholic church - the largest religion in Canada - is strongly opposed to the new legislation. Religious leaders claimed their clergy could be forced to perform gay marriages rather than risking being taken to human rights tribunals if they refused.

However, the new bill only covers civil unions, rather than religious ones, meaning no clergy would have to perform same-sex ceremonies unless they wanted to.

Government statistics estimate there are 34,000 gay and lesbian couples in Canada. "Lesbians and gay people are your brothers and sisters, neighbours, friends and co-workers," Alex Munter, the national spokesman for Canadians for Equal Marriage, said.

"At the end of the day, no argument in favour of exclusion can withstand what people see with their own eyes - that it is wrong to treat people they care about in a way that diminishes their personal choice."

Opponents of the bill have threatened to oust MPs who supported the legislation at Canada's next general election.

Charles McVety, a spokesman for Defend Marriage Canada and the president of Canada Christian College, called the vote an "onerous breach of trust and the deconstruction of so much that is dear to our hearts".

"This is the beginning of the formal fight against the redefinition of marriage," he said. "We will, in the next election, be able to correct this incredible democratic deficit before us today."

The draft bill was expected to easily pass the Senate and become federal law by the end of July.

I just happy Canada isn't a repressive church state.

thoughts? opinions?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, is San Francisco going to like empty out as all the gays and lesbians rush north to live in Canada? Maybe now a flat in the Castro district will come down into a price range that mere mortals can afford.

"Homersexual marriage, eh? Time for a two-fer. Don't forget the flippin' tomato juice, eh?"

• 3 weeks later...

So what disgusting low point will our society plunge into next? Will we draw the line at consensual sex between fathers and daughters being legal? Or mother and son marriage? How about Father & Son MArriage?

Yeah, thats it, lets let our Fathers knock up our daughters and have a whole new breed of inspired "elevated free thinking individuals".Don't get me wrong , I like free thinking and open mindedness as much as the next guy (or girl) But how free do you want to be? There has to be a limit, some sort of criteria? Were we created just to worship our Low, below the belt desires or is there some sort of order to adhere to?

Don't you people pay attention when youre stricken with disease after disease because of youre sexual promiscuity and perversion?

And make no mistake, Homosexuality is a disease, a sickness, not a hereditary gene that was inherited by your weirdo grandfather who used to take baths with all the kids. It is a learned behavior, something that is developed, not something that is inherent or that a person is born with. People would have us beleive otherwise (especially fags) That way they can argue that this is something that they cannot change , thus trying to equate their plight with that of oppressed minorities and such. This is simply not the case, A black man is born black, An Italian is born Italian, they cant change that, But a Homo CHOOSES that path. They can be rehabilitated if they choose. It is simply a case of a person choosing this selfish, non-productive, perverted lifestyle for whatever reason. The scary part is that even Heterosexuals have adopted this tolerance of Faggots so to allow them to flourish and develop in our societies to the point where their marriage is (only by them) legitimized even though they are going against the very , natural inclination that they were created with. (And dont tell me a 4 month old is born Gay.....Its not possible , All children come into this world in a perfect state of purity , NEVER did God create a Faggot baby. Never. It was them, who chose to be frooty, And I'm not with that frooty Junk, Punk! straighten up and fly right. P.S. i'm not a HomoPhobe ....I a'int scuurred ! Now go to bed kids... dont forget to flush your teeth and brush the toilet.....

Originally posted by Dawood@Jul 17 2005, 02:02 AM

So what disgusting low point will our society plunge into next? Will we draw the line at consensual sex between fathers and daughters being legal? Or mother and son marriage? How about Father & Son MArriage?

Yeah, thats it, lets let our Fathers knock up our daughters and have a whole new breed of inspired "elevated free thinking individuals".Don't get me wrong , I like free thinking and open mindedness as much as the next guy (or girl) But how free do you want to be? There has to be a limit, some sort of criteria? Were we created just to worship our Low, below the belt desires or is there some sort of order to adhere to?

Don't you people pay attention when youre stricken with disease after disease because of youre sexual promiscuity and perversion?

And make no mistake, Homosexuality is a disease, a sickness, not a hereditary gene that was inherited by your weirdo grandfather who used to take baths with all the kids. It is a learned behavior, something that is developed, not something that is inherent or that a person is born with. People would have us beleive otherwise (especially fags) That way they can argue that this is something that they cannot change , thus trying to equate their plight with that of oppressed minorities and such. This is simply not the case, A black man is born black, An Italian is born Italian, they cant change that, But a Homo CHOOSES that path. They can be rehabilitated if they choose. It is simply a case of a person choosing this selfish, non-productive, perverted lifestyle for whatever reason. The scary part is that even Heterosexuals have adopted this tolerance of Faggots so to allow them to flourish and develop in our societies to the point where their marriage is (only by them) legitimized even though they are going against the very , natural inclination that they were created with. (And dont tell me a 4 month old is born Gay.....Its not possible , All children come into this world in a perfect state of purity , NEVER did God create a Faggot baby. Never. It was them, who chose to be frooty, And I'm not with that frooty Junk, Punk! straighten up and fly right. P.S. i'm not a HomoPhobe ....I a'int scuurred ! Now go to bed kids... dont forget to flush your teeth and brush the toilet.....

you are joking, right?!

right?

yeah... you're joking

Tbone-thumbs-up_large.jpg

No Joke, Bro , this is serious....and as for Bodice....It's only your fault if you don't know what God wants, he sent us messenger after messenger confirming one after the other , all saying the same thing.

There is really no excuse for being ignorant about what God wants unless of course a person chooses to be misguided , seriously, Dont you people reflect?? Whole societies were destroyed because of homosexuality, Look at the people of Lot, they were destroyed for their heinous crimes by God , and yet you dont know what he wants and claim that it is a low point to recognise God's will? whoah, I'm worried for you, The signs are there load and clear for those who reflect.

I agree with Dawood, that homosexuals arent born. But i disagree that they "choose" to be that way. I think its something they acquire through life, I mean if they were born gay what about people who are married and then guess what? They realize theyre gay after 25 years of marriage.

And putting up references to the bible isnt exactly backing up your story.

Anyway, aquired lifestyle...choice...same result....Once a person is presented with something he either accepts it or rejects it as something for himself. Hence: choice....no matter how long it took them to aquire it. And all knowledge came from God , he created knowledge, So none of you know anything or say anything or think anything except that God created that knowledge or thought.....And gave you a choice to accept the good things and reject the bad things , and that my freinds is your test!

P.S. I wasnt quoting the bible.

god's wishes are pretty irrelevant to me, much like I amn't overly concerned with the wants and needs of the easter bunny. BUT, if I believed in a mystical all powerful being, I would be careful of what I did or said in his name..... know what I mean....?

Anyway, since when did it become ok to use the government to foist your religious beliefs on non-believers? Keep your boogy-man in to yourself....

But other than that - i don't understand why other gay people insist on pushing this issue. It's just winding up people just LOOKING for a reason to be bigots. We'd have more chance of getting important rights like civil partnerships and visitation rights....

Originally posted by Dawood@Jul 17 2005, 10:01 AM

I never said you did.

And besides the religious argument against homosexuality being wrong. Theres also a scientific reason why homosexuality is wrong. Its useless for someone to be homosexual because there would be no reproduction, without reproduction the species dies out. Simple as that.

Its been the tradition of the feds to monitor the peoples morality for quite some time now. the judicial dictatorship, deciding social issues for the people, is in direct defiance of the 1st amendment.

if you forget or block out what the revisionists have taught you, go to the library, do some research. you will find that the puritans, quakers, etc etc, who settled new england essentially lived in minor theocracies. despite all the rage today, the vast majority of our country was founded by christians, wanting to practice thier religion the way they wanted to. it was not founded by athiests or devil worshippers as some would have you think. the majority of our first settlers came from europe, which was actually called "christendom" for quite some time.

the founding fathers intended not for the federal government to decide these matters of morality, but for the states to decide. when a federal judge strikes down some kind of religious expression of any kind in any state, they are perverting the policies and intent of the founding fathers in their first amendment to the constitution. they intended, as they explained, TOTAL federal NON intervention in religious issues. using the federal government allow gay marriage is as bad as using the judicial dictatorship to ban gay marriage. it is a state issue. the first amendment was intended as historian David Hackett Fischer researched to protect religious freedom in Virginia and Pennsylvania and to "guarantee taht the religious establishments taht existed in Massachusetts and elsewhere would be safe from outside interference."

the supreme court has linked marriage to pro-creation in many cases. the federal courts were created by congress. they have the power to abolish the federal courts, accept the supreme court. if congress got their act back together, and stopped giving in and listening to the judicial dictatorship make laws, they can constitutionally, limit the cases they can hear. they can limit cases of morality, and send them back to the states where they belong. just because a judge passes a decision, doesnt mean it is law. as Andrew Jackson said of a decision passed during his presidency, thats your decision, fine, "now you enforce it."

If Mitt Romney of Mass, would of defied the federal court decision and not handed out marriage licenses, he would not even been defying a federal law. the executive has the power to choose to enforce the laws or not.

gay marriage is not a "civil rights issue." i can guarantee religious black folk want nothing to do with passing gay marriage. MLK even said that a valid law is one based in the bible and its morality.

Originally posted by CACashRefund+Jul 17 2005, 09:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CACashRefund - Jul 17 2005, 09:24 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dawood@Jul 17 2005, 10:01 AM

I never said you did.

And besides the religious argument against homosexuality being wrong. Theres also a scientific reason why homosexuality is wrong. Its useless for someone to be homosexual because there would be no reproduction, without reproduction the species dies out. Simple as that.

[/b]

You're an idiot. How is our species gonna die out just cause a minority of fags don't reproduce? Most people aren't fags and nobodies gonna turn fag just cause they see other niggas being fags. If you're a fag your a fag, if you're straight you're straight. Aint no bullshit laws gonna dictate different.

Just let the fags be fags. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by CACashRefund@Jul 17 2005, 03:58 PM

I agree with Dawood, that homosexuals arent born. But i disagree that they "choose" to be that way. I think its something they acquire through life, I mean if they were born gay what about people who are married and then guess what? They realize theyre gay after 25 years of marriage.

And putting up references to the bible isnt exactly backing up your story.

I didn't "choose" to be straight, did you? Ever since I was at least 4 I had a thing for the bitches. Did you actually sit down and weigh the pros and cons of wanting to fuck bitches or dudes? Did you actually have to think about it and make up your mind that you like bitches? If so then maybe you're in denial of your actual sexuality. :haha:

Originally posted by CACashRefund@Jul 18 2005, 12:58 AM

Let cops be cops.

Seriously though, if somebody aint fucking with you why should you fuck with them? I've been fucked with by dozens of cops, but I don't think I've ever had a fag harrass me, beat my ass or lock me up or fine me or even bother me at all.

Leave the fags alone for crying out loud! :haha: