Can Safety

One Man Banned

Starting this re: a question about leaking cans (and I don't mean diarrhea!) but it can be open to any general info. To my immediate question, does anyone know anything about stored cans emitting vapors? I've always heard people say don't sleep in the same room as your cans for this reason, but does anyone know more on this? Have definitely taken the cap off of cans before and smelled vapors, storage warnings on cans really only covers flammability. Wondering if a bunch of stored cans in an area could have an effect on other areas.

As for other info, I really think little is known about the effects of inhaling vapors when painting, other than it's bad shit. I'm sure many have heard Iz speak about this. Doctors seem to deal more with huffers who are getting brain damage, I know my regular doc seems clueless when I raise concerns to him. Can labels mention general shit like neurologic/breathing effects. So, any general info people care to share is good for all. I've had people say they had blood in their urine, I've heard people say their stomach seems fucked up a day later and they can't shit.

WEAR YOUR MASKS!!!!

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Essentially paint is a poly pigment (plastic manufactured from a mineral such as petroleum or others) it will be solvent or water based and in cans it is made airborne by the propellant pressurised inside.

after degassed of the most pressure it will likely not leak due to the exterior ambient pressure being greater than that of the inside of the can, the propellant can affect the nervous system alone and is more prone to be airborne for a longer period of time in the vicinity and tends to be inhaled more than actual pigment since its lighter than the pigment which hits the substrate and makes your mark.

The propellant will be more of what you ingest. with some residual overspray. The gas will be corrosive to some extent especially on organic tissue. ie Your fucking lungs. It would also affect the nervous system long term. specifically your brain and end receptors. This would be after sever long term like asbestos or other airborne materials.

Will you feel it next week probably not. in your 40s maybe (20 years later) and we are talking after heavy bombing on a daily basis.

as for crates of cans under your bed..especially empty no its not something of major concern other than flammability and stench. Not that its not bad but you are likely to get shot by a crip gang member or die by car accident than this long term effect taking your life.

-Dr.Slo

• Like 1