Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Can Safety

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by One Man Banned, May 15, 2015.

1. One Man Banned

One Man Banned Dirty Dozen Crew

Starting this re: a question about leaking cans (and I don't mean diarrhea!) but it can be open to any general info. To my immediate question, does anyone know anything about stored cans emitting vapors? I've always heard people say don't sleep in the same room as your cans for this reason, but does anyone know more on this? Have definitely taken the cap off of cans before and smelled vapors, storage warnings on cans really only covers flammability. Wondering if a bunch of stored cans in an area could have an effect on other areas.

As for other info, I really think little is known about the effects of inhaling vapors when painting, other than it's bad shit. I'm sure many have heard Iz speak about this. Doctors seem to deal more with huffers who are getting brain damage, I know my regular doc seems clueless when I raise concerns to him. Can labels mention general shit like neurologic/breathing effects. So, any general info people care to share is good for all. I've had people say they had blood in their urine, I've heard people say their stomach seems fucked up a day later and they can't shit.

WEAR YOUR MASKS!!!!

2. breakfast menu

breakfast menu Member

i'm 90% sure they do, since i sleep in a room with a few hundred cans (and have done so for more than a year). if i didn't keep my room well-ventilated (fan, window, everything) my clothes would smell like it.

aside: nothing has happened to me yet.

3. One Man Banned

One Man Banned Dirty Dozen Crew

IMG_6249.jpg
    Going to give this a bump. In retrospect should have put it in Channel 0 as no one really looks at many of these threads.

4. slo075

slo075 New Jack

Essentially paint is a poly pigment (plastic manufactured from a mineral such as petroleum or others) it will be solvent or water based and in cans it is made airborne by the propellant pressurised inside.

after degassed of the most pressure it will likely not leak due to the exterior ambient pressure being greater than that of the inside of the can, the propellant can affect the nervous system alone and is more prone to be airborne for a longer period of time in the vicinity and tends to be inhaled more than actual pigment since its lighter than the pigment which hits the substrate and makes your mark.

The propellant will be more of what you ingest. with some residual overspray. The gas will be corrosive to some extent especially on organic tissue. ie Your fucking lungs. It would also affect the nervous system long term. specifically your brain and end receptors. This would be after sever long term like asbestos or other airborne materials.

Will you feel it next week probably not. in your 40s maybe (20 years later) and we are talking after heavy bombing on a daily basis.

as for crates of cans under your bed..especially empty no its not something of major concern other than flammability and stench. Not that its not bad but you are likely to get shot by a crip gang member or die by car accident than this long term effect taking your life.

-Dr.Slo