Can Machines Think?

ETHREADZNY

Do you thinki it is humanly possible to make a machine recreate human thinking. I mean we have come damn close, but what about emotions? Interactive games on the internet kind of scare me, when a computer knows strategically the next move to make is nothing but wierd.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i saw the movie AI recently, this thread reminded me of it. And boy did that movie suck! Just when you think it ends, no! it drags on another hour. blArg

Guest imported_Tesseract

I believe this is already happening, people are fixated with the word 'intelligence' but thats hardly the case...if you stop searching for high intelligence in machines you'll see that just because humans make machines, machines are doomed to behave in the same way...mistakes in manufacture create the space for 'intelligence', the more malfuctional a machine is the more human it gets, it acts in areas not programmed or meant to do so and therefore it acts surprisingly and impulsively, also at this point you find your self treating the machine with different tactics in order to get them to work...thats a relationship :dazed:

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Yes, we will one day, but we aren't even close to that. The AI you see in games is pretty fucking dope, but you have to understand the the algorithms involved are very specific and only take care of specialized functions. The algorithms involved in how a real human brain makes those same decisions are much more complex, and take care of a lot more than learning player patterns and predicting moves. The most advanced thinking machines we have right now are still on the insect level. They're pretty badass insect robots though.

AI still has a lot of hurdles to clear before (HOLY SHIT A GUY JUST PASSED IN FRONT OF MY WINDOW, WHICH IS NOT NORMAL BECAUSE IM ON A 2ND FLOOR. I just realized there's a huge electrician truck outside my place with a dude fixing up the lines around my apt.) we can really talk about human-level thinking machines. But as far as we know, the only reason people believe that it'll never happen is human pride (and the Gödel Incompleteness Theorem). Beer,

El Mamerro

Originally posted by El Mamerro

[bwe can really talk about human-level thinking machines. But as far as we know, the only reason people believe that it'll never happen is human pride (and the Gödel Incompleteness Theorem). Beer,

El Mamerro [/b]

you obviously have knowledge of the subject, I personally think that computers can never mimic human thinking, because of the lack of the computers abilty to buildup past experiance, and react in various situations emotionally.

Guest ctrl+alt+del
Originally posted by El Mamerro

clear before (HOLY SHIT A GUY JUST PASSED IN FRONT OF MY WINDOW, WHICH IS NOT NORMAL BECAUSE IM ON A 2ND FLOOR.

i agree with mammero

Guest BROWNer

tesseract and mamerro on the scene!

a bit off topic, but i personally romanticize that robots will replace us.

we will in effect create a new species in our image that will outlast us...but

then again, there are so many scenarios it seems....we might also merge.

but it ain't even close yet. i've read alot of ETA for compu-equivelancy

to human brain calculations, most of it seems to hover between 2050(i think..that

or 2030)..either way, shit is going buck.

Emotions are always brought up because they're such "unmachinelike" concepts, that it's hard to imagine a machine ever feeling sad. However primitive emotive machines have been created with a decent degree of success... Emotions are not "uncodeable", and originate from the same mental processes that the brain uses for all other types of thought. Emotions are reactions (output) to situations and a variety of different factors (input). The process involved is incredibly complex, but there is no evidence against its computability.

As for building up past experience... I would say that one of the things computers do way better than humans (and which makes them useful for us) is their ability to store incredible amounts of information, with little or no loss of integrity, and being able to retrieve this information accurately at any moment. Building up past experiences is probably one of the smallest problems concerning AI studies these days. More important problems concern having a computer be able to associate present experiences with these stored past experiences to bring forth better, more humanlike conclusions. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Tesseract

I believe this is already happening, people are fixated with the word 'intelligence' but thats hardly the case...if you stop searching for high intelligence in machines you'll see that just because humans make machines, machines are doomed to behave in the same way...mistakes in manufacture create the space for 'intelligence', the more malfuctional a machine is the more human it gets, it acts in areas not programmed or meant to do so and therefore it acts surprisingly and impulsively, also at this point you find your self treating the machine with different tactics in order to get them to work...thats a relationship :dazed:

Underlining the importance and pure genius that lies in the above statement:dazed:

And and very intelligent comment it is, Tesser. However you missed the fact that one important aspect that a sentient machine must have is self-reference and self-replication. A sentient machine would begin with these human errors in its code, but as it gives out instructions for its self replication (notice all living beings have it built-in their DNA), it can also give out instructions on self-improvement, resulting in a new copy of this machine that contains less human error. As the new generations come out, they are less and less flawed.

But then, a human being can step up and ask them their Gödel question, and no matter how perfect the machine, the question will stump them. This is why the Gödel Theorem is still the only hope for human superiority over machines. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest imported_Tesseract

damn, there must be something wrong with my comp...i cant read what that dude Mamerro wrote...tsk tsk tsk must have been crap though...:o

Seriously, thats true...whats that funky letter theory..please explain in detail

Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem:

Proposition VI in his 1931 paper "On Formally Undecidable Proposistions in Principia Mathematica and Related Systems I:

http://www.unipv.it/deontica/Gallpics/classici/godel.jpg'>

"To every omega-recursive class K of formulae there correspond recursive class-signs r, such that neither v Gen r nor Neg (v Gen r) belongs to Flg (K)(where v is the free variable of r)"

http://www.unipv.it/deontica/Gallpics/classici/godelz.jpg'>

"We trust that you will keep this information to yourself. Disclosure of such puts The Family in danger, and your life and those of your loved ones at serious risk."

Originally posted by Al Green

theres a book im currently reading called

"the age of spiritual machines" by ray kurtzweil. if youre really into learning a bit about this topic... this book is quite good.

Oooooo you got that?!? Gimmegimmegimme.

I could also use some Zippy mentoring.

Archived