Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Can Machines Think?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by ETHREADZNY, Dec 3, 2002.

1. ETHREADZNY

ETHREADZNY Elite Member

Do you thinki it is humanly possible to make a machine recreate human thinking. I mean we have come damn close, but what about emotions? Interactive games on the internet kind of scare me, when a computer knows strategically the next move to make is nothing but wierd.

2. Sora

Sora New Jack

sure why not?...hmm they wont be all mechanic though we'll find away to capture a humans aura...heh...i dunno 4th period dont feel like speaking philosophicallllly..or something that

3. Rodney Trotter

Rodney Trotter Senior Member

Ask your mom's vibrator. It thinks it could do with a break.:idea: :crazy:

4. ETHREADZNY

ETHREADZNY Elite Member

^ not bad

5. ETHREADZNY

ETHREADZNY Elite Member

the only thing is i think my mom is emotionally attached to it, not the vibrator to my mom..

6. Rodney Trotter

Rodney Trotter Senior Member

You know I'm only playing with ya. Right?;)

7. ETHREADZNY

ETHREADZNY Elite Member

8. spec

spec Guest

i saw the movie AI recently, this thread reminded me of it. And boy did that movie suck! Just when you think it ends, no! it drags on another hour. blArg

9. FourOneTwo

FourOneTwo Member

Data from Star Trek. :)
    he has emotions...kinda

10. I believe this is already happening, people are fixated with the word 'intelligence' but thats hardly the case...if you stop searching for high intelligence in machines you'll see that just because humans make machines, machines are doomed to behave in the same way...mistakes in manufacture create the space for 'intelligence', the more malfuctional a machine is the more human it gets, it acts in areas not programmed or meant to do so and therefore it acts surprisingly and impulsively, also at this point you find your self treating the machine with different tactics in order to get them to work...thats a relationship :dazed:

11. Yes, we will one day, but we aren't even close to that. The AI you see in games is pretty fucking dope, but you have to understand the the algorithms involved are very specific and only take care of specialized functions. The algorithms involved in how a real human brain makes those same decisions are much more complex, and take care of a lot more than learning player patterns and predicting moves. The most advanced thinking machines we have right now are still on the insect level. They're pretty badass insect robots though.

AI still has a lot of hurdles to clear before (HOLY SHIT A GUY JUST PASSED IN FRONT OF MY WINDOW, WHICH IS NOT NORMAL BECAUSE IM ON A 2ND FLOOR. I just realized there's a huge electrician truck outside my place with a dude fixing up the lines around my apt.) we can really talk about human-level thinking machines. But as far as we know, the only reason people believe that it'll never happen is human pride (and the Gödel Incompleteness Theorem). Beer,

El Mamerro

12. sneak

sneak Guest

its a scary thought to think about...what if...

13. ETHREADZNY

ETHREADZNY Elite Member

you obviously have knowledge of the subject, I personally think that computers can never mimic human thinking, because of the lack of the computers abilty to buildup past experiance, and react in various situations emotionally.

14. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del Guest

i agree with mammero

15. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

tesseract and mamerro on the scene!

a bit off topic, but i personally romanticize that robots will replace us.
    we will in effect create a new species in our image that will outlast us...but
    then again, there are so many scenarios it seems....we might also merge.
    but it ain't even close yet. i've read alot of ETA for compu-equivelancy
    to human brain calculations, most of it seems to hover between 2050(i think..that
    or 2030)..either way, shit is going buck.