Camera's

A Fire Inside

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

if you're out to learn about photography you can't go wrong with the canonet gIII ql17, but you'll need to find one that's been converted from mercury batteries to silver batteries. if you're a beginner there's this book from the seventies [i think] that Time Life put out called the camera, they're about $6 at a used book store, you'd be doing yourself a big favor if you bought one and read it once or twice. don't go for a new in the box camera, you'll only be wasting your money. forget about the newer autofocus SLRs if you want to learn about photography, and get a handheld meter if you get a chance. there's a ton of good information at www.cameraquest.com

Originally posted by Tesseract

do you have any links to share in order to find the value of that camera or even sell it online?

you could e-mail stephen gandy, they guy that puts camerquest together and he'll let you know what it's worth right now and he might offer you some thing for it too, his e-mail is leicanikon@earthlink.net there's also a rangefinder mailing list that's VERY active, [about 15 posts a day usually], and if you asked them they'd give you a good idea of wht it's worth, and i'm sure you coul sell it on there too. there's information on joining the list here http://www.cameraquest.com/rflist.htm i'm sure you'll find what you need from those two places. before you sell it, it's sometimes a good idea to see what they've been going for on ebay, but all the people on the list are doing that too, so you'll get about the same from them. so do you like using it? i've heard they're very nice, unfortunately i've never owned a working zeiss folder. it must be a VERY nice, mobile way to shoot medium format.

there are also a few rangefinder news groups and a zeiss group on yahoo, but i don't know much more than that about them.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Thanx man, thats all the info i needed.

:)

I only shot 2 films with that camera, one color slide and one negative B&W. The photos were great as far as i can tell.

The thing is that i use photography as a tool, i aint looking at it professionaly, i just want to take decent photos of whatever i want to shot. So usually depending on what i deal with i ask around for tips/techniques and i get pretty much the result i want.

I'm thinking of selling this camera one year now and i cant really decide.

On one hand i understand that this camera is a fucking legend that i'm proud to own and use and on the other hand, practictly speaking, it aint such a nececity for my needs.(I ussualy shot with a Canon EOS300, which might be a piece of shit professionaly speaking, but it gets the job done for me.

I aint the guy with the big bank account so its a dilema.

Either i stick with quality and also learn photography with a great tool in my hands or buy that OLYMPUS 3040 and save a shitload of money from developing films plus i get instant pics...

What do you say?

drink the blood-i tihnk you are talking about the silver oxide batteries tha are used today as opposed to the old mercury ones..well if you are able to find a place such as a good camera shop the battery i got for my nice old pentax was a silver oxide but it had a little plastic ring around it i guess to make it fit in where the mercury battery went in the camera for the light meter.

anyways if new york city isnt far from you Olden Camera is a very very very good place to go you will found almost anything you will need for an old camera.i picked up some 620 film for my old argus camera and i got a reasonably priced fish-eye lense that i can put on my video camera and pentax camera

www.bhphoto.com

well worth it to check out they have a wide variety of used equipment and new and the used equipment is rated, also i personally feel ebay is the place to get accessories for the camera i would much rather buy a camera not from ebay but that didnt stop me from buying my two Super8 video cameras,one of which doesnt work.i have bored you all by now. goodnight

Originally posted by Tesseract

Either i stick with quality and also learn photography with a great tool in my hands or buy that OLYMPUS 3040 and save a shitload of money from developing films plus i get instant pics...

What do you say?

i'm just not a big digital fan, so i guess i'm the wrong person to ask. the camera you own now is a very well respected piece of equipment, there are very few people who know about photography that would say otherwise. if you're dead set on digital, i'm no help because i've only used the gear that's been around work. i will tell you this, it'll be a long, long time before ANY resonably priced [under $3,000] digital camera can touch the resolution and image quality of medium format. i'd run a few more rolls of film with your folder before you give it up, i think it might grow on you. you could always sell your folder and get a low res. digital and a used manual SLR, or even a nice rangefinder. really, it all depends on what you'll use the most.

Originally posted by MoeLarryCurly

drink the blood-i tihnk you are talking about the silver oxide batteries tha are used today as opposed to the old mercury ones..well if you are able to find a place such as a good camera shop the battery i got for my nice old pentax was a silver oxide but it had a little plastic ring around it i guess to make it fit in where the mercury battery went in the camera for the light meter...i have bored you all by now. goodnight

yes and no. the mercury batteries these cameras were designed around are 1.35v and the newer silver oxide batteries are 1.5v. the "air cell" batteries that Wein and a lot of other companies produce, [the batteries with the ring that you mentioned], are still 1.5v so you have to either manually set your film speed to compensate for the effect the battery is having on the meter or you can have a repairman set your meter to read correctly using the 1.5v charge. in all fairness, this won't have much of an effect on slower print film, [a lot of slower print films are actually VERY forgiving], but if you shoot B+W or transparencies you'll definately need to make up for it some where. i heard from a repairman i used to see a lot that the canonet is very sensitive to the change in voltage, but the pentax spotmatic is still pretty close when you use a 1.5v battery. this didn't make ANY sense to me, but he swears it's true.

i have taken it to a new level of borring, sorry.

When I was 11, that's all of 15 years ago, my parents gave me a used Pentax K-1000. I still use it to this day. That motherfucker doubles as a hammer and a weapon when you need one and it's a trooper. I've dropped it countless times and even had it fall out of a third floor window with nothing but a smashed filter.

Utilitarian design all the way.

Don't get me wrong, I'd kill for any of those high-end jobbers. Even a middle of the road medium format would be great. But give me a $50 120mm camera and I can work wonders... for example: lubitel-resource.tripod.com. Don't sleep on those communists.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Drink the blood, thanx.

Things like that make my dilema bigger, you're right and i know.

.....ah...sometimes i envy junkies, killing all their stuff for peanuts just because they need something else more...

I already sold my 1971 car designed by porche so maybe i should keep that camera.

i just don't want anyone else to learn the hard lesson i did. i had a 150mm for my hasselblad, [=85 in 35mm format], that came with the body and all the other stuff i bought originally. i so sure i didn't want it that i traded it for a 50mm wide angle, [28 or so in 35mm format], and once i realized what a mistake i made i started looking for a new one and paid way more than i did the first time for a lens that's about %70 as good looking as the one i got rid of, but it still works great. the best bet with photo equipment, or anything else that's going to cost you some real money, is to think long and hard before you get rid of anything, i've made that mistake SO many times.

Originally posted by iloveutensil

cameras capture your soul... no good

hahahaha- are you kidding me? I second the pawn shop idea. I did find a really nice like new canon. I am a bit jealous of those who have the older cameras though- I'm probably missing a great learning experience but ehh- I like my retina-monitoring auto-focus.

personally i shoot a canon eos elan 7e which i like alot, i was looking into the a2e but i went to the photoexpo east right when they came out with the 7e and got to compare that and the a2 and i just kind of liked some stuff about the elan better. my question right now is whether or not any of you have a fisheye (preferrably a canon 14mm...) that youd be willing to sell cheap, i dont expect anyone to have one, but whatever, might as well ask. or if you know any reliable sites where i can get the shit thatd be good because the only place i feel comfortable ordering photo gear online is b+h and theyre a bit too expensive on this one for me and until i get to go in and check out their used department this saturday im just trying to get as many options as possible.

for the person who originally started this thread: go with either canon or nikon theyre the 2 best SLR manufacturers in my opinion and you should definetly go with them, also i personally think that the eos is simple enough for a moderately intelligent donkey to understand very quickly. ive shot both nikon and canon and i just like canons shit a weee bit better, although i wouldnt exactly argue someone giving me a new F-5 or F-100....haha, the rebel 2000 should be a fine choice i think. also, dont bother getting anything with eyefocus, in retrospect its not really worth it and i only got it because i happened to have the extra hundred lying around at the time but its kinda slow and i like the selective focus stuff on the camera anyway. i dont like nikons n-60, i think its kinda slow and lacking where the rebel has alot more options.

sorry, im kinda rambling here.

http://estancianm.com/ebay/p3_2.jpg'>

my parents got this kind at a flea market i think, 20 years ago...they got another one now and gave me this one. the only problem is that the shudder is stuck shut, so i have to take it to a repair shop around these ways sometime. does anyone know about what it would cost to get something like this repaired? i'll get an estimate when i go to the place, but i figure maybe someone on here knows.

Guest imported_Tesseract

i aint no expert but i think it will cost you almost nothing.

Its probably a glitch of someking.

It looks like a nice tough camera.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I have an old-ass Mamiya with a busted meter. I would get a handheld meter, but I'm such a digital techie right now I can't even think of the money and hassle it'd be to develop my own film. Maybe I should give it a try... Beer,

El Mamerro

[my parents got this kind at a flea market i think, 20 years ago...they got another one now and gave me this one. the only problem is that the shudder is stuck shut, so i have to take it to a repair shop around these ways sometime. does anyone know about what it would cost to get something like this repaired? i'll get an estimate when i go to the place, but i figure maybe someone on here knows.

the shop near me charges $65 base anytime it's real work, i.e.- if the camera's casing gets opened, it's going to be at least $65. if it's just a little problem, the curtain is stuck due to lack of lubrication, then they might just charge you a few bucks. i know a lot of repair shops will consider the value of the caera as well. they're not going to charge you the same to fix a locked up shutter on a minolta srt101 and a nikon f3, the f3 will be the more expensive fix because it's a more expensive camera. it won't be a huge difference, but it's there.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Tyler Durden

personally i shoot a canon eos elan 7e which i like alot, i was looking into the a2e but i went to the photoexpo east right when they came out with the 7e and got to compare that and the a2 and i just kind of liked some stuff about the elan better. my question right now is whether or not any of you have a fisheye (preferrably a canon 14mm...) that youd be willing to sell cheap, i dont expect anyone to have one, but whatever, might as well ask. or if you know any reliable sites where i can get the shit thatd be good because the only place i feel comfortable ordering photo gear online is b+h and theyre a bit too expensive on this one for me and until i get to go in and check out their used department this saturday im just trying to get as many options as possible.

for the person who originally started this thread: go with either canon or nikon theyre the 2 best SLR manufacturers in my opinion and you should definetly go with them, also i personally think that the eos is simple enough for a moderately intelligent donkey to understand very quickly. ive shot both nikon and canon and i just like canons shit a weee bit better, although i wouldnt exactly argue someone giving me a new F-5 or F-100....haha, the rebel 2000 should be a fine choice i think. also, dont bother getting anything with eyefocus, in retrospect its not really worth it and i only got it because i happened to have the extra hundred lying around at the time but its kinda slow and i like the selective focus stuff on the camera anyway. i dont like nikons n-60, i think its kinda slow and lacking where the rebel has alot more options.

sorry, im kinda rambling here.

you should look up OLDEN camera i am sorry i forgot the address they are in manhattan kind of near the mepire state building but they sell trade buy camera equioment.they have everything that is hard to find such as batteries. i bought a fisheye form them for around 100 dollars and even if you find others you can always get adapter rings. so now i have adapter rings i can use the fisheye with my digital videocamera and my old pentax spotmatic SLR

Archived