cameras : super8 vs. 16

Mr. Mang

i'd like to start shooting with one of the two, but i'm not exactly sure which one. i have a kodak 16mm camera but i'm afraid it'll be too expensive and not 'artistic' looking enough for what i'd like to do.

can somebody please tell me the pros and cons (as well as pricing for things) for these two cameras? i'd like to shoot a little big of skating, abandoned places, etc. i dotn have time to try to weed through 9999 sites looking for information.

thanks for your time.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Super 8 is way easier to use, even though the film comes out grainier - if that's the look you want, it will be perfect. Super 8 was designed for home movies in the 50's and 60's, and is so fun and great that it's still around despite the huge rise in digital cameras. But if you want it to be clear and sharp, may as well go digital. The film is cheap to buy AND to process, and you can find Super 8 accessories all over the place for pretty cheap.

16mm is a little harder, the cameras are more pro, but something like a Bolex, has everything you need for a good shoot, and is still pretty easy to use. The film is twice as big as Super 8, so it's clearer and crisper, and you can even get some really nice, high quality 16mm films right now. The nicer you get, the more expensive of course. A 100ft roll of 16 costs about 40 bucks (and up), and it costs like 60-100 bucks to process, and that's 3 and a half minutes. So it's way more expensive.

For skating - I'd go super 8, it'll be really easy and it will come out nice. Get Kodacrome film for brigher more saturated colors. There are some supermarkets that will process kodachrome for 3 BUCKS only.

are you making an independant film? cool. so am i.

im wearing a black sweater and i think its just going to be about my daily life of driving around taking pictures of dead animals. then ill round it out with 108 minutes straight of still shots of boats in harbors set to a sound track of odd Mars Volta songs. ODB will have a large role in it too.....because its ODB for fucks sake. the big shocker ending will feature my friend jared wearing a KKK outfit then ripping off the hood to reveal that he is indeed black and raising his fist up. go to shot of fist shaking. go to shot of jareds face, head down. go to shot of closed eye, single tear. then maybe i'll have ballet dancers dancing ballet for a few hours straight, still to the tune of Mars Volta. itll be great.

http://users.skynet.be/Wu-Tang/Pics/ODB3.jpg'>

cmon...how can any movie not have ODB in it???

Guest --zeSto--

a simple thought...

if you like the rough look of 8mm (or super8mm) great!

but you will be limited when you go looking for a cleaner film.

and with 16mm, you can buy super16 (widescreen) and that's broadcast worthy.

or just bite the bullet and buy a new Aaton Minima.

http://www.aaton.com/images/amin/web_34_cote_display_white.jpg'>

www.a-minima.com

I think I'm gonna have to go to a film school somewhere

For what I need to know, I think I'm gonna have to go back to school. There is a local Houston group that is dedicated to helping new film makers out, though. I think digital video is the way to fly. Super-8 and 16mm are cheaper on the front end, but digi video can be edited on a PC, and you can manipulate the look all manner of different ways. If you sink $40 into 16mm film and then screw up the shot somehow you are just SOL. But if you screw up a digi video shot, it's "rewind" and shoot it again only this time don't pick your nose, okay?

I'm 20 pages into my screen play. I need an 11-year kid, a mom, two tramps, a cop, and a school teacher, so far. Oh, and a freight train.

kodachrome is a beautiful film and it is cheap like i luv roo said, the only down fall is that it has to go all the way to switzerland to get processed because it is an old process that they don't offer in the states anymore due hazardous materials. it takes about two weeks which isn't that bad though. i'm looking into getting a super 8 myself....let me know if you find any deals online mr. mang, and i'll do the same

my $.02

I love the way super 8 looks, and using it is great for all first time filmakers. Especially helpful will be the editing process which is way different than how its done nowadays. In editing tape, it is a much more linear process which makes good if you are storyboarding a narrative. It just feels different and makes you think differently than editing on a computer. It will cost a lot for a full feature film, not just in materials but in time!!!

DV is definitely something to think about in the future when - one, you have at least 2 grand to blow on a decent cam - two, you have at least 3 grand to blow on a decent mac with all the good editing software. Unless of course you can find a place that has all the shit ready for you, then your looking at no less than 30 bucks an hour to edit your shit. DV is faster and easier, IMO, and you just cant beat the quality for the money.

i appreciate the facts on the digital stuff, but it's the last thing i need. i just want to learn about old cameras and mess with them.

there's nothing artistic about the new cameras. they're way too professional for my liking. maybe if i was filming skate videos or something...

Originally posted by drain bamage

kodachrome is a beautiful film and it is cheap like i luv roo said, the only down fall is that it has to go all the way to switzerland to get processed because it is an old process that they don't offer in the states anymore due hazardous materials. it takes about two weeks which isn't that bad though. i'm looking into getting a super 8 myself....let me know if you find any deals online mr. mang, and i'll do the same

You can send Kodachrome to Fugi to be processed. Easy. Plus, you can try Cala Foods, if there are any in your area, they do it for 3 bucks.

Mang, I've made both super8 and 16mm films before. It's so much more fun than video. It's hands-on. You get to feel the film with your hands, look at each tiny frame, etc - there's a ton of fun stuff you can do with film.

Look into hand processing. You can get a really raw, rough look, and looks especially good on black and white film. I've had some awesome teachers that knew a lot of fun techniques. We even had 'celluloid alchemy' which was all about fucking with your film to make it look neat-o.

Also, if you really want to mess with it - the JK optical printer is an awesome contraption! Lots of time and energy, but really neat.

I'm so glad I know that stuff, even if I don't have the time to use it. Ask me anything, and I'll try to help you out.

Guest --zeSto--

i just got a CANON XL-1 my movies are gunna sick!!

just because I've got a can of flat black krylon at home doesn't make me StayHigh149.

the best part of film... cutting on a flatbed!

There's something magical about syncing 3 reels and zipping them across the steinbeck.

Kodak Vision SFX 200T <-- my dream film stock

ummm, well, I guess it depends on what you want to do with it, since those enlargers are meant for printing, right? I guess if you want to make a still print from one frame, you can try - but at the same time, will it be able to focus on something that's only 8mm or 16mm in size, I'm not sure...

You should just play around and see what happens - it may totally not work, and even still you may get some cool things going on that work in a more unconventional way.

There is a film group out here that take raw film stock and mixes it up in wierd chemicals, and buries it in soil, and does all kinds of shit to it, just so it projects a trippy movie. Watching it is a very organic experience - you just sit there and space out on these pretty, organic shapes and colors.

Archived