calling all tech's!

Guest bumdigger

Guest bumdigger

i got a computer issue.

i need to find out what drivers i need for a network card but i don't know what kind i have. there are restrictions on this computer so i can't get into the properties of the card to see what kind it is. any suggestions on how to find the exact model and driver i need for it??

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest bumdigger

i tried to right click on network and went to properties then to adapters and everything comes up grey'd out so i can't select anything. is their any commands i can use through dos that would let me know the exact model of my nic

if youre using the latest release of win98, win ME, or Win 2k, the drivers should be on the windows disk...if not, then you need to check out system properties, goto device manager and it should have your network card with a big exclaimation point beside it...if youre lucky it will say what kind of network card it is...if it doesnt show it that way, youll have to look on the card itself inside the computer...once you find out the brand and model, goto the company webpage and download the drivers...how come you dont have the drivers disk? when you purchase a netcard they normally come with drivers....did you build the computer yourself? if you didnt build the computer yourself but instead bought it from a manufacturer, the manufacturer normally includes a disk with all your computers drivers for the components that came with the computer...

Guest bumdigger

this is at my work. i took over for someone else recently and the restrictions are due to the computers being on a network and me not haveing all the rights to the pc's. i'm running nt will that work for nt as well??

Originally posted by bumdigger

this is at my work. i took over for someone else recently and the restrictions are due to the computers being on a network and me not haveing all the rights to the pc's. i'm running nt will that work for nt as well??

from future network administrator boogie hands...if you dont have access to it then there is a reason, you have a user profile that sets up everytime you log in and the networking nerds decided you have the ability to do something stupid and fuckup the network so you get no access to anything that could change the operation of your computer on the network...you could always ask them but chances are things are like that for a reason and most companies also have IT policies which violation, in some cases means termination....so get back to work!!!

Guest bumdigger

check this out...

i basicly am the network admin.. along with web design so on... the lady that worked here before me died. so when i took over i didn't know her old passwords and things like that.... the network is up and running good except for one computer that won't access the internet and i know it's the drivers for the nic. i just need a command in dos or a back way to find out the exact kind of nic i have in the machine

Archived