cabooses/old cars etc

nelACKson

is it ok to paint cabooses?

i dont think so. i think they're too much a part of railroad history. I really dont like seeing them painted and the number of unpainted cabooses is getting low.

old cars: this is a tough one..i had this talk with someone on this board and i guess the important thing is that you really do somthing nice if you get a car like a solid cold or a soo line...seeing old cars like this with shit graffiti makes me mad. its not so much a matter of respect for history (like it is with cabooses) its a matter of making sure your work is worthy of being on such a sweet car. right?

what are your thoughts?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

This is a really good topic, had me thinkin' for a while...

I guess most people who hit cabooses really do it for the flick, you know to say they hit one. I like seeing a painted up caboose, always adds variety. But then again how often do you see em running? I see em on the yard locals, M.O.W. trains, and the occasional caboose on a mixed fr8. They are a piece of history...ol' FRED sent 'em to the scrapper!

But, how often do you see an "FGE Solid Cold" running? The only ones I've seen lately have been bought by CSX and used for M.O.W. service.

To some people who are not really into the whole railfanning aspect of fr8 graf, they don't care if they are hitting a Soo box, new railbox, Alabama State Docks box, or whatever. Too them a boxcars a boxcar. I can see where your coming from about putting up quality stuff on a rare car. I would love to see a raw burner on a Soo box the ol' white body w/ the red doors!

Guest rob deer

cabooses---the perfect way to blow up any spot,,,even more so than the engines...but hey when the going gets tough..

.fucking freds, stole my dream job.

old boxes...better bring rusto and flim

so I caught a perfectly clean gvsr flat the other day and had to marvel in it's fortune. you care hella.

cabooses and engines

straight up painting a caboose or an engine is fucking wack...if you do it you are a fag..i dont care how dope you are and how many freights you got...you are a bitch..that blows spots and doesnt even look good!!...but i think there is a difference in painting a solid cold then painting a caboose or engine....a solid cold is a rare and old car but it is definitely not a caboose or engine..if it is up and running paint it....i mean those are classics...but they were hit on the regular in the early 90's i'd love a chance to hit those....i think a lot of those all got buffed and then eventually got pulled of the lines...i see them occasionaly...but whatever i am rambling on...bye

yeah just paint the trains. not the cabooses, not the engines, not the utility boxes near the trax, not the walls etc on the way to the tracks.

not the crossties, not the wheels of the train, not scrap cars that dont leave the lay-up. just the trains. why is that such a difficult thing to understand. but man i cant fromt i did those same things when i was young and green.

well....ive hit a caboose once....because my partner and i had traveled to another city into uncharted yards and stumbled upon a massive graveyard of southern boxes....well, after roaming through these dead trains looking at old pieces that will never run again, we found a caboose in the middle of all that shit....so we painted it...because we had driven to paint and hadnt found anything else to put our petty little names on....the yard was overgrown and the wheels and tracks were rusted to hell...it was obvious none of these freights had moved in a couple of years....so yeah, i guess it was for the novelty of having a flick of it more than anything...i would never paint a caboose that i thought was still active...for obvious reasons...

engines...no way...never have, never will...

old cars...i agree with my man turbo dog...if theyre up and running, paint em....somebody else out there is going to if they catch it...so its kinda "better me than you"...im into the railfan side of shit too, but you gotta figure the car is gonna look better with your shit on it than some kid who catches it, knows nothing about trains, and writes some high school football score on it or draws potleafs and writes 420 on it or something....

Nah, don't hit cabooses or units

Bad karma. It annoys the railroad workers and gets the bulls to trying to figure out where you'll be next. I know that outwitting the cops is all part of the fun, but if you hit historical cars or engines or railroad property like switchboxes and buildings you're fucking up bigtime. Just go after regular stuff--boxcars, reefer cars, ACF grainers, stuff that has a good painting surface and is going to run. If you hit a unit, the bulls will get pissed off phone calls from the Maintenance Shop. Don't be stupid.

...i have to admit that i have done a caboose...but it was not done at a spot that people paint or even a spot where they lay up cars...it just happened to be out and in the open so we did it...it was mostly for the joy of being able to say thta i got one more than anything else, because the next time i found an isolated caboose i told my partner we weren't gonna do it even though he wanted to...we already had one and we didn't need to go and fuck up anything else...

...i love old cars...there are a few that i'm quite proud of catching...but please do something good on it or just don't do it...

...i don't think anyone on here condones engine painting, utility car painting or anything else like that...that shit is just stupid...

old cars and rare cars gotta be done when you find em... but burn them if you got them.

I think the only thing old Ive managed to get is a Frisco and a Port St Joe Route.

No cabooses or engines... ever. And no old boxes that are sitting at railroad museums, or sitting to get repaired for a scenic railroad.

• 10 months later...

fuck engine painting!! i really hate to see that. on the other end i dont consider a caboose in the same category..i will put caboose in the category of rare cars because here in canada they dont put them at the end of there train anymore..so they're really fucking rare.

just by curiosity, does anyone ever saw a clean train car made by a freight company still rolling?

about streaks..if its complex or rare, historical or funny i go around it, if its unknown, i can see its nothing important like just a quick tag that a writer put like that or whatever..then i go over it. if im doing a e2e or a wholecar i might go over it as well.

Originally posted by ghostvandal

fuck engine painting!! i really hate to see that. on the other end i dont consider a caboose in the same category..i will put caboose in the category of rare cars because here in canada they dont put them at the end of there train anymore..so they're really fucking rare.

not many railroads use cabooses anymore. theyre usually very local to a yard or city-painting can easily blow a spot-its all circumstancial though

Originally posted by ZedIsDed

yeah just paint the trains. not the cabooses, not the engines, not the utility boxes near the trax, not the walls etc on the way to the tracks.

not the crossties, not the wheels of the train, not scrap cars that dont leave the lay-up. just the trains.

this pretty much sums up my feeling.

i don't like to see a painted caboose or engine, that shit makes me mad.

Guest mikro137

to sum this up quite simply , cabooses are akin to painting someones house. eventhough the caboose has gone way of the dinosaur , when used widely in the past , it was a home away from home for railworkers. so to quote many a police officer ive conversated with in my travels "how would you feel if someone wrote ""officer johnson has a big dick"" on your house?"

Originally posted by lepthebeard

...i think this topic is a given...

...if you hit steel you should know this...

...move the discussion to monikers...leave or let live?...

...this is where the grey area is...

...ahh the great moniker delima...my general rule is that if the moniker is older than when i started painting i will certainly let it run...i have even painted a ladder before so an old moniker could enjoy the panel...i usually conciously avoid them if i can...paint around it or whatever...give it a little flare cloud...

Guest cheesecurd

what's wrong with painting something out in the middle of northern wisconsin? so i piss some rural ass worker off sort of, so what? i'm defenitly not blowing up the spot for anyone. this is fucking graffiti right? that's like saying "i'm not gonna hit transit anymore out of respect for all the people who died in madrid riding the subway this year." gay!

just be smart

feel free to get stabbed if you paint the local caboose at the chill spot though.

this is an emotional subject i see... i have painted a caboose before, and since everyone wants to justify themselves... it wasn't local, it was in the yard that i frequent most and i had never seen it before, or since for that matter. you see in my city most cabooses are trashed, someone pieced it, then since they sit around someone takes its out cus of beef with some wack throwie... so even if i came across one of these i would paint it just so i didn't have to look at the shit on it... on the otherhand, cabooses in musuems are off limits... i have respect for old and rare boxcars, but honestly that just makes me want to paint them more... engines that shit is just stupid as hell..

Originally posted by angry orphan

this is an emotional subject i see... i have painted a caboose before, and since everyone wants to justify themselves... it wasn't local, it was in the yard that i frequent most and i had never seen it before, or since for that matter. you see in my city most cabooses are trashed, someone pieced it, then since they sit around someone takes its out cus of beef with some wack throwie... so even if i came across one of these i would paint it just so i didn't have to look at the shit on it... on the otherhand, cabooses in musuems are off limits... i have respect for old and rare boxcars, but honestly that just makes me want to paint them more... engines that shit is just stupid as hell..

It's about time people back up what they talk. If I see a caboose-boxcar/ oil tanker; handle - Business Slut.