Buying a new computer....What should I get???

MESTHREE

I am going to be buying a new computer soon. I need it for graphic design/web page design purposes. I know enough about computer software but not that much about hardware. What should I be looking for so I dont get scammed. I want it to be able to handle photoshop illustrator,dreamweaver and preferably all at once. I need someonthing with a good graphics card and lots of ram so what should I be looking for?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...oh and my budget is about 1500 before tax.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by MESTHREE

I am going to be buying a new computer soon. I need it for graphic design/web page design purposes. I know enough about computer software but not that much about hardware. What should I be looking for so I dont get scammed. I want it to be able to handle photoshop illustrator,dreamweaver and preferably all at once. I need someonthing with a good graphics card and lots of ram so what should I be looking for?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...oh and my budget is about 1500 before tax.

MES BABY!!

haha.. i havent heard from you in a minute.. still want me to come stay up there?

why aint you on aim no more girl?

Well... a Cheap 999$ dell is ok, if you can find cheaper go for it

a hard drive with 40gigs is suffient i would think, but mine is 120 cause of game purposes

any thing should u should get standard.

CDrw/DVD drives are always recomended

and because your doing images and shit.. go with the Zip Drive.

And maybe 3.5 Floppy if its cheap or free

If you're seriously gonna do graphics you gotta get a Mac. Just find one with a good graphics card and a big monitor. If you just need to do a little graphics (and play games like battlefield 1942) get a pc. look for the same things as in a mac, and make sure to get about 500mb ram and a geforce 4 as ur card.

Here's what *NOT* to do: buy a complete computer with software installed. If you really want a good computer that'll be quite a bit more reliable than normal... build it yourself. Order your parts online, if you buy stuff from CompUSA or CircuitCity, Best Buy etc.... you'll pay a fortune. Here's a very rough list of what I'd suggest:

1.5-2GHZ AMD processor and whatever mother board that runs it (they're a little cheaper than Intel)

512MB RAM

Whatever size hard disk that's necessary (they're pretty cheap)

CD drive (can be a burner or a dvdrom if you wanna spend extra)

NVidia or ATI video card (if you get a nice one it should help with displaying hi-res graphics and fast monitor refresh rates)

CRT Monitor, with the intro of flat screens, you can get a big CRT for a rather inexpensive price.

Keyboard/mouse can be generic

Sound is optional, but cards are cheap if you decide you want it.

I dunno what program you're gonna be using to do the graphic design... so it's hard to say exactly more or less what'd be good. A good site to buy components is www.pricewatch.com. My email address is in my profile, if you need more help, feel free to ask me there.

thanks for the advice... Trust me Id love to buy a mac but I cant afford it they are too expensive and so are all the programs. What I would be using are illustrator 10 photoshop 6 quark dreamweaver 4 adobe go live and a few minor 3d programs just to fuck arround with.

Guest WebsterUno

^^^yup, get A MAC!

Seriously, Macs are the best for graphics.

Do some shopping around, its worth looking first.

I bought mine for $1100 US. I got a G4 400.

I can open Photshop, and Illustrator. Dreamweaver

I would have to shut off a program. I can run

Bryce. I got Amorphium. Final Cut Pro. Its upgradable

to like 2Gigs, which is more than enough. RAM

is kinda cheap right now too. For graphics, you

really should go with a Mac. A tower, not an Imac,

you cant upgrade the iMac as much.

I don't pay for software... If you want to buy all your programs for a Mac, fine... or maybe you know someone that has them. They aren't the most abundant and easiest thing to get software for. I think the MacOS gui is cumbersome and boring. There's lots of cool things you can do with PCs that you *cannot* do with Macs, as there are *far* less developers for the Macintosh community. Mac users are a minority, and they can't do anything that a good PC can't do....

mes3...

there's only one thing I need to say....

www.pcused.com / www.cpused.com

some deals like...

PowerMac G4 400Mhz 256/20GB/DVD Graphite $1349

G3 iMac 600Mhz 128/40GB/CD/56k $1249

and my personal pic...

PowerTower Athlon 2100+ (1.73 GHz) 256MB DDR-RAM/ 80GB HD / 56k Mdm/ 100T/ Combo 16xDVD-32xCD-RW/ 64MB nVidia GeForce4 MX440 w/TV-Out/ USB 2.0/ Firewire/ WinXP Home with 2.1 speakers, Headset, Microphone, Keyboard & Mouse -- 1 Year PCUsed Warranty $1269

Keep it local!

Wow, that's nice Kilo.... but I have to throw a last one two punch to you Mac lovers: it's good you're supporting something, but as far as flexibiliity and upgradability goes, PCs out weigh Macs. If you're a gamer, get used to doing something else if you plan on using a Mac for games (they have no games)... so yeah, keep being pro Mac is you want, but my opinion and recommendations will remain until Apple does something that has more appeal to me than PCs. On a side note, I heard Apple is losing alot of money trying to compete and that they *may* be going out of business.

eMachines Desktop with Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.53GHz

Model: T4510

849.00 @ Best Buy. Use the rest to but a kick ass monitor or digi/vid cam.

Aspiring to multimedia mastery? You'll get plenty of help from this highly qualified desktop and its 2.53GHz processor, 100.0GB hard drive, DVD-ROM and CD-RW drives and 6 USB 2.0 ports.

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 2.53GHz, with 533MHz frontside bus for a powerful CPU-to-memory connection

512KB L2 cache memory for efficient system processing

512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 2.0GB

100.0GB Ultra DMA hard drive

16x maximum speed DVD-ROM drive; 40x12x48 CD-RW drive

Intel® Extreme Graphics AGP 3D, with 32MB shared video DDR memory

Integrated 10/100 Ethernet card

V.92 high-speed fax modem

6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports (2 front, 4 back); 1 parallel, 1 serial and 2 PS/2 ports; 1 AGP and 2 PCI slots open for expansion

Multimedia-enhanced office keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse and amplified stereo speakers

Windows XP Home Edition operating system preinstalled

Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Intel Inside, and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

Archived