buying a camera question(s)

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

so i am going to buy a camera.

i dont know shit about cameras or photography

doing some research i was leaning towards a 35mm, SLR, manual camera.

after some research i feel pretty confident about the camera i was leaning towards, a nikon FM3A, but am still openminded to suggestions and experience.

anyone got any?

thx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

If you're definatelly positive that you wanna go old school + film, the FM3 is a fuckin dope camera on a money/quality comparison, plus its tough as nails...you can use the body for a sledgehammer when you dont shoot flicks.

However dusty, why not a digi?

Guest Dusty Lipschitz
Originally posted by Tesseract

However dusty, why not a digi?

i typically hate digi

i want something more hands on

i have a digi somewhere. i like it for its convenience, but not photography stuff.

Guest imported_Tesseract

totally understandable, if you already have a digi for the fast/candid shit you're all set.

I'm about to start yupping about the 'hands on' feeling DSLR's have (full manual, lens changing digitals) but its a whole new budget required.

Back to the subject, FM3A---->100% SEAL OF APPROVAL

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by -Rage-

Tesseract, what the shit?!

I thought you were supposed to be taking pics right now!

(loser)

Ha

I shot 70 flicks from my roof you bastard!

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Vanity

yeah,... cause th digi delay isn't annoying at all

Ways to avoid that:

1) buy a decent digi:D

2) Switch autofocus off and focus manually.

Guest imported_Tesseract

on a sidenote, since i was interested in that puppy aswell, how much does it run for in the states? you're getting it new? used? ebay?

let a ninja know

Guest Pilau Hands

well it's been a while but i think i was told to go with the standard 50mm lens, which was a problem because my camera came with a 35-70mm zoom...so i had to buy a 50. but basically, with all the glass that's necessary to get that 35-70 working well, some feel that you lose some light in all the reflection. so 50 = less glass, more light, better exposure.

the other thing was that if you have a 50, and can't zoom, you train yourself to move for the shot, and don't rely on the lens to go in and out for you. all depends on how you feel about your approach to photo i guess.

though i haven't taken photos in a while, i actually stick with my zoom lens just because.

i really want a digi because i don't have a lot of money for film and time for developing right now. i want to just clickclickclick. if anyone has encountered the cheapest best miracle digi out there...vociferate back youngin'

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

on a sidenote, since i was interested in that puppy aswell, how much does it run for in the states? you're getting it new? used? ebay?

let a ninja know

i have found the body new for $600. i can get it cheaper online but its prolly refurbished or grey market/import, plus i want to have a local shop that i develop a report with.

pileau- thanks for the info. we should hang sometime. been a while.

go with the 50mm to start. The advantage to buying Nikon is that the new Nikon AI and AI-S autofocus lenses (except the weird ones with no aperture ring) are reverse compatable with the old camera bodies. And vice-versa for most of the old MF lenses.

and to expand on pilau's comment. a past photography teacher of mine was fond of urging us all to pick a fixed focal length lens, and shoot with it for an entire year, to improve our framing/composition skills by forcing us to make the shot without saying "if I only had a longer/shorter lens!".

Guest Dusty Lipschitz
Originally posted by ese

go with the 50mm to start. The advantage to buying Nikon is that the new Nikon AI and AI-S autofocus lenses (except the weird ones with no aperture ring) are reverse compatable with the old camera bodies. And vice-versa for most of the old MF lenses.

and to expand on pilau's comment. a past photography teacher of mine was fond of urging us all to pick a fixed focal length lens, and shoot with it for an entire year, to improve our framing/composition skills by forcing us to make the shot without saying "if I only had a longer/shorter lens!".

a brand new leica minilux found its way into my hands recently. its a fixed focus. it isnt instead of the 3A, but until i get the 3A...

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

my ninja dusty..sell me the Leica;)

i havent even had a chance to burn a roll with it...

lol

i will prolly go out tomorrow tho.

ill let you know.

Guest imported_Tesseract

haha, i was semiserious...but dude..leica lenses are gods gift to humanity, i understand its an auto camera and it doesnt give you the flexibilty the FM will but i'd definatelly suggest you keep that puppy on your possesion.

Here are some flicks shot with the minilux:

http://acielmd.cool.ne.jp/Minilux_club/images/chi2.jpg'>

http://acielmd.cool.ne.jp/Minilux_club/images/Daniel1.jpg'>

http://acielmd.cool.ne.jp/Minilux_club/images/Lin1.jpg'>

Since the minilux is fully auto, these flicks have nothing to do with skills ?(to the part i'm reffering)...

No nikon will ever give you a lens so sharp and acurate.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

like i said, i kinda came across it...

no manual or anything. as i also mentionedd i dont know shiat about photography or cameras. so i am toying with it, trying to figure out how to zoom, focus, whatever... stumped. i order the instruction book online, it gets to me, i go through it, twice, three times, before i understand, or figure out, its a fixed 40mm lens.

now all i have to do is figure out the f-number and alphabet soup on top... (f-stuff, aperture, etc. again CLUELESS)

Originally posted by Vanity

yeah,... cause th digi delay isn't annoying at all

It might be annoying on a $50.00 Walmart camera but the last two digis I've owned had no problems. Sony F707 had a really quick recycle time and very low shutter lag. The Sigma SD9 has no shutter lag that I can notice.