Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

buying a camera question(s)

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Dusty Lipschitz, May 13, 2004.

1. so i am going to buy a camera.
    i dont know shit about cameras or photography
    doing some research i was leaning towards a 35mm, SLR, manual camera.
    after some research i feel pretty confident about the camera i was leaning towards, a nikon FM3A, but am still openminded to suggestions and experience.
    anyone got any?

thx

2. If you're definatelly positive that you wanna go old school + film, the FM3 is a fuckin dope camera on a money/quality comparison, plus its tough as nails...you can use the body for a sledgehammer when you dont shoot flicks.

However dusty, why not a digi?

3. i typically hate digi
    i want something more hands on
    i have a digi somewhere. i like it for its convenience, but not photography stuff.

4. totally understandable, if you already have a digi for the fast/candid shit you're all set.

I'm about to start yupping about the 'hands on' feeling DSLR's have (full manual, lens changing digitals) but its a whole new budget required.

Back to the subject, FM3A---->100% SEAL OF APPROVAL

5. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

Tesseract, what the shit?!

I thought you were supposed to be taking pics right now!
    (loser)

Husky Lickshitz,

Check out www.dpreview.com Great site with LOTS of helpful info.

6. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

my dad has a disgusting dslr.
    everytime i see it my jaw drops.

7. thats all digi tho
    i want to stick to film

8. Ha

I shot 70 flicks from my roof you bastard!

9. MrChupacabra

MrChupacabra 12oz Loyalist

i don't know anything about that particular model, but slr is definitely the way to go, whether it be a cheap old slr or some pimp ass digital slr.

10. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

http://www.apogeephoto.com/june2001/nikon_fm3a.shtml

YES!
    YES!
    YES!
    I've recently switched from my shitty pentax system to a FE2 (its in the same family as the FM3a) and its fucking amazing. you will never want for lenses with this camera. dont let anyone talk you out of your choice.

11. Vanity

Vanity Veteran Member

yeah,... cause th digi delay isn't annoying at all

12. Ways to avoid that:

1) buy a decent digi:D

2) Switch autofocus off and focus manually.

13. thanks kids
    like i said im sold on the fm3a,
    but still openminded.

any lens suggestions?

14. i say go with the default 50mm for starters...but i aint no expert

15. on a sidenote, since i was interested in that puppy aswell, how much does it run for in the states? you're getting it new? used? ebay?

let a ninja know