Buy the november issue of Trains Magazine!

Ski Mask

if your really into freights you should be checking it out anyways, but especially this month. there are two really good articles in this issue.

One on the TTX company, which really helps explain the operations of Autoracks and Railboxes, the unique pool system they operate in. I've gone into it on here before, but this article gives you better details...and a full explanation of how it came about.

The other good article is on the return of transcontinental perishable trains (think reefers). breaking down how a shipment is sent from coast to coast...including lots of great shots of the car they follow, which has a Lisa piece by Mone on it. again...this will help you a great deal with understanding freight movements...especially reefers.

just trust me on this one....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

from the december issue's RPO (Readers Letters):

"It's not art

The Photo Finish "Mysterious Destinations" in October [page 106] caught me at exactly the wrong time. I and other volunteers are about to finish up a 40-hour project to remove graffiti from two passenger cars owned by the Pacific Northwest Chapter of NRHS. In no way do I, nor should you, consider these vandals artists. For you to call the person who defaced this boxcar a "graffiti artist" is outrageous.

Arlen L. Sheldrake

Portland Ore.

"

some railfans just hate us. But at the same time I'm not down with hitting museum pieces...thats like throwing etchbath on the window of a little mom and pop store.

the december issue was good (every issue is) but I'm especially looking forward to january, cause they are going to have a big article on the West Side Line, in manhattan.

I'd like to be one of those 2 teens that load up the carrots. All night access to the layup. Well maybe not, I could just go there anyways w/out working there...But I do need a job. Ehhh, I'll work. Only other place w/trains that I can work at besides the yard. And lord know I can't work there. But I'd like to.

• 2 months later...
Guest fr8lover

i just got that issue actually (still on the newstand, didnt look at the date and bought it) but DAMN this is the best issue ever...features the line that i live on and even has a map foldout of it!

along with that lisa piece (fucking closeup!), i saw met and take5 getting play (though its a bit hard to see)....what an issue.

Originally posted by ese

if your really into freights you should be checking it out anyways, but especially this month. there are two really good articles in this issue.

One on the TTX company, which really helps explain the operations of Autoracks and Railboxes, the unique pool system they operate in. I've gone into it on here before, but this article gives you better details...and a full explanation of how it came about.

The other good article is on the return of transcontinental perishable trains (think reefers). breaking down how a shipment is sent from coast to coast...including lots of great shots of the car they follow, which has a Lisa piece by Mone on it. again...this will help you a great deal with understanding freight movements...especially reefers.

just trust me on this one....

Yo there is another piece on the black box side of that train that was traced coast to coast. It happens to be by cavs did you notice that?????

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

you know, trains mag has been really fucking great lately. There is seldom and issue I wouldn't reccomend buying...or racking if your trying to save cash like me. July 2002 is no exception.

highlights:

-photos of the VMV shops full of scrap engines

-part two of "the yard" focusing on modern yards, including a fucking crazy picture of a big yard in chicago that made me drool.

-news article on the alameda corridor in LA (6 bodies found in the trench of the course of construction....only in LA right?)

buy it

Archived