busted peices

taper

how many of you go out and come back sayin "man i realy could have painted that better" or i" wish i'd done that." or i wish i hadnt painted that. i am trying to put in as much quality work right now at the beginning or my career. so to speak. i get pissed when shit comes out not so great. i judge my work on if i saw that would i flick it? so basically is a quality or a quanity thing? and out of haow many pieces you paint how many are you ACTUALLY happy with. ;)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

You have to see it as a learning curve, if you find a flaw, thats actually a good thing, then you can concentrate on your weak points. Dont be so hard on yourself, just remember that the more you do it the easier it gets.:king:

i consider myself over critical of my own work...i think its horrid and terrible...its definnately better than extremely toy shit, but cant hang with experienced writers...i learn a little something new about painting everytime i go though, so i guess i could say im developing....

i'm always saying this, last time i went out it was misting so one car ran really bad, i tried to do a simple, but didnt work with the krylon white and black. ran really bad. so i moved to the next car in the line and did something that turned out really nice that i think was one of my best freights. then i tried to get really big runs on an outline around a handstyle, son of a bitch it didnt work. i was using reddevil paint on that part. nice baby blue that stood out great on the dark blue car. but it wouldnt run. i guess its not my fault though. i tried.

Guest cracked ass

For a long period I viewed freights as an improvisational thing - freestyle away, and send it out there, some came off, some didn't. A closer examination of the flicks revealed that the vast majority of my freestyles were busted, some of them big-time, so I changed my attack plan. My goal became to take the piece that worked the best and do a hundred (or more) essentially the same way, with minor alterations (colors, size, characters, but the same letters). I figured I'd increase recognition and pay some "quantity" dues while coming up with better blackbook ideas.

Now I have two problems: I slacked on the blackbook work, and the few things I've sketched are as busted as the old shit. And furthermore, the piece I did a hundred times isn't that hot to begin with. It doesn't compete with the level of quality that I see being done by my favorite writers. So this whole year has been one big procrastination session.

I have the freight knowledge and applications down to a science, but all that means is that I've been putting out a lot of mediocre work on cars that get good play.

I've gotten mixed reviews on my style - surprisingly positive feedback by some longtime heads I respect, and the more predictable hate from a few directions. Overall I think it's more productive to be as hard on myself as the haters, but I'm having a hard time coming up with new material.

some call it sloppy

some call it wack

some call it toy

and some like it, so what can you do??

someone will not like it no matter what

i just try to think, if something i did just came out bad, that i will improve what i did wrong next time...that to me is one of the biggest things about graff, you always are improving

yea thats what i think. onorok sucked in 98 i actually think from the pieces ive seen that now my shit i put out can hang and possibly even better. it amazing how far hes come in such a short period. hes amazing now and that is proof that practice makes perfect. well i guess he didnt suck just not how he is now i take that back. keep the info coming

Its all about the good with the bad. I think anyone who creates is their own worst critic, so it is to be expected that 99% of one's work will appear busted to them, even if the majority of the viewing public thinks it looks great. I know the first thing I notice when I get flicks back of my work are the mistakes....beyond that, I have a hard time finding anything good in them since my mind has already been corrupted by that one little flaw or mistake. I have literally laughed off tons of my own "good" burners simply because I cannot see beyond the fuckups...but I also don't sweat it too much these days because I'm always striving for that perfect burner, and I know that along the way, I will put in some work that will be acceptable to me. It's odd that sometimes I will spend 10 minutes on a dub-style and love it, then spend 2 hours on a piece and think its wack....all in the eye of the beholder......

As someone mentioned, its a learning curve. While trucking along, we all produce a lot of weak work, but we learn from it and manage to pull off some goodies from time to time. No right or wrong answer.

It does seem that busted burners are more the fashion on trains these days (why, I don't understand)...I guess that allows a lot of bullshit to be seen. What it all boils down to is mixing it up, keeping it going and facing the fact that everything you do is gonna suck in some way or another....once you get over that, the ride is a lot easier.

yea i see what your saying. i think that time makes things change alot whaen it comes to graff. even tho i think most of us pride ourselves in living a "underground" sort of lifstyle shelterd from the real world we still being human in nature have so called trands. i noticed the sloppy pieces and i am sort of confused and i realize it could be a result of a numerous amot of things rangig from a diffrent approach to the "in thing to do". fr8s are in my opinion way diffrent than any other relam of painting. it what other way can you get away with so much and still be totally respected for it? like slop in the thousands or say 100 clean burners or just 4000 bombs? when being viewd from the highwys of america the fr8 will take on a diffrent mood or look. it really boils down to personality and choice like it has been said. i'm not really gonna worry about it and concentrate more on just relaxing and letting it come natural and trying my hardest to produce what i am happy with because after all it is a form of self expression. pieces come alive and even a partly filled mber on onorok piece is still a treat. so maybe it is how we all view it. or maybe slop is overlooked if you are a fr8 king......................;)

its funny, i always have these big plans about painting. what colors im gonna do what letters im gonna do what im gonna write next to my piece but when i get there my mind goes blank. i dont drink or smoke b4 i paint so i guess its just the intoxication of being there. im just so glad to be there and be able to get out unharmed i usually dont care what it looks like....well sometimes i try to concintrate and keep shit from dripping but like rd said man you gotta take the good with the bad. everybody has dirt still runnin...i dont care how fresh the guy is now.as long as my "nom de' plume" is runnin/weather its a streak or a piece im satistfied. im always greatful when people waste a flik on one of my pieces, but if they dont i understand...as long as its runnin and i have the flik i guess

Originally posted by Sorc bcj

the day i do a piece i'm completely satisfied with i will stop painting.

emmHmm...testify...rock own with yo bag seff>>>i agree

Nothing beats sitting around listening to a bunch of writers talk about their sob stories.

If your not happy, do something else.

Originally posted by Cup 'O Soup

emmHmm...testify...rock own with yo bag seff>>>i agree

Nothing beats sitting around listening to a bunch of writers talk about their sob stories.

If your not happy, do something else.

your so hard when i become a man I wish to modle myself after you,you great wonderful graffitio king..................................

Guest Handjob

Every train I paint has something wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. My eyes immediatly jump to the bad spot.

Tempermental artist bullshit...

Guest BROWNer

this is weird..i'll try to explain....

when i'm painting i'm constantly familiarising myself with every little

detail and constantly pulling back to see how it fits in with the whole, to make

sure it seems proper and works...so by the time i'm done, i can step back

and get a general feeling for what i've just done, but by that time my brain is

way too familiar with what i've done so my objectivity is mostly out the window...

there's still a shred of it there, enough for me to decide whether i'm fairly disappointed or happy with the outcome, but i find that after some time has passed, months or whatever, i'll see it again and i might have thought it was bullshit that night, or there might be some technical mishaps and whatnot, but now i'm more objective and i can make a better call whether its weak or not. i've seen shit thats sloppy as hell, that i hated, but after some time has passed its actually not bad and i may find something really interesting about the direction i was going or porportions or whatever. or i'll see something that i thought was pretty fresh at the time, then i'll see it one day and i'll just be disgusted and embarrased.

for me it usually proves to be a test of time first.

Originally posted by Sorc bcj

the day i do a piece i'm completely satisfied with i will stop painting.

no kidding...i honestly dont ever see myself being completly satisfied with what i paint...there will always be something i know i could have done better but hopefully its that attitude that will drive me to progress...oh well, regardless of how unhappy i am with what i do i can honestly say when i get home i have a smile on my face, graff shouldnt be as much about how fresh your peice comes out (unless its a legal i guess) but more about the experience of going on james bond missions and painting with good people...thats just my opinion though

Originally posted by seeking innocence

there seems to be a whole different level of 'quality' when it comes to trains. somehow, 'sloppy' and 'badly rendered' are in this year... who knew....

hey fanboy, you shouldn't make postulations like that, being only a observer. it’s a act of antipathy and ignorance, and only makes you sound foolish.

Originally posted by seeking innocence

oh, did someone take such a sweeping generalization personaly? huh... maybe that should tell you something.

if you dont think you paint sloppy, bad letters, why do you care what i have to say?

because it was generalization that you based only on observations. i've seen your pieces and i know what your about in terms of cleaniness. this only made you look more ignorant than you've already proved.

second, why make such a generalization anyways? to earn some awareness to the fact that you paint neat and pretty? last time i checked, it shouldn't of matter wether or not how good you were painting, but the fact that you were acutally painting and that it remained illegal. graffiti isn't a artform. it's a movement with members of every corner of the spectrum. look at regionized reglious graffiti. look at railroad monikers that have been on trains for decades, way before spraypaint was every appiled in a such a fashion that is today.

to me, at least, it remain in it's most simplest form a way to turn into that hero. assume a alter-ego and shout, with the most loudest and thought provoking voice, at the world.

graffiti has always been around. you know this. i know this.

at it's core, the modern graffiti 'artist' has the same intentions as cavemen thousands of years ago.

it's not a style trend that ends one year, while another appears. and if anything, the advent of the internet only made writing worse. it allowed fanboys as your self to run amok among the best of them.

or simply put;

without the internet, my friend, nobody would know of you or what you wrote.. and this, like the comment you made eariler, is just a generalization based on a observation.

actually my new found friend, you know nothing of what i paint so your 'observations' are actually little more than 'speculations' based on the same internet hear-say and shit talking that you accuse me of. would i be known if i wasnt on the internet? maybe not, but that's assuming that anyone knows who i am in the first place, which i dont think is the case (however you obviously do). if you come to this site, then yes, i'm unavoidable, but as we will both agree, the internet is not the real world. i know it, apparently you dont. further more, i havent posted a pic of mine in roughly a year, so i would hardly say that im using this site to get fame in the graffiti world. i use it to amuse myself, just as you do.

you state: "last time i checked, it shouldn't of matter wether or not how good you were painting, but the fact that you were acutally painting and that it remained illegal" I would pick apart that sentence, but i really dont need to. it's as ignorant as the way you worded it. graffiti has always been about pushing yourself further and doing it better than the guy before you. its why tags turned into throws, throws turned into pieces, and pieces turned into burners. its why dondi was more famous than the other thousand writers that hit the same lines. to say that graffiti isnt about painting 'good' letters is a complete self serving cop out. unless were talking throw ups while street bombing, then yes, it is all about having 'good' letters. it always has been and it always will be. i dont claim to be the end all, be all judge of what is 'good,' but if you can claim that my letters are bad, than i can claim the same. its personal preference (unlike 'sloppy' which is technique.) to address the 'illegal' issue, for the record, ive painted two legal walls in my life. sure, ive painted plenty of chills, but they were no more legal or 'chill' than the freight yards you spend your time in.

i still dont understand why your taking such a vested interest in the case unless you think your guilty of painting 'sloppy' graffiti. especially when you consider me to be such an insignifigant 'fan' on the sidelines. if you dont even consider me a writer, then why would you even read what i have to say? why would you even consider defending yourself against it? i certainly didnt point the finger at you, how could i? i have no idea who you are. i send you an email, and i get no reply. i guess youd rather keep it on the internet than handle it like adults. fine by me, your the one looking like a moron, not me, i dont even write (remember?).

you did have a good point when you said the internet allows 'fanboys' like me to run 'amok' with the best of them. ive certainly enjoyed running 'amok' with some of the countries most respected writers in the middle of the night painting on things from coast to coast... i'll agree, without the internet, i wouldnt have had that chance.

i would pick apart your reply further, but, well i dont really have to. the fact that you even replied in the first place alludes to your obvious feelings of guilt concerning the matter.

"graffiti isn't a artform" no? tell t-kidd that. tell revok that. tell pose that. hell, you better tell next that, cause dudes letters look like art to me.

seeking/one for me, none for you

Oh man. i hate everything i paint. I guess that's just how it is. There's so much to learn, and so many years ahead to be better. It's like my mind is ahead three years from my skil level, and i expect a lot more, even though i don't know what it's gonna look like yet.

How about we relax and quit the I'm better than you thing? We all have opinions, and they're gonna differ more than they're gonna agree. I seen a lot of Seeking's work and I personally think it's pretty good. Some will agree and some will disagree. Some of my graffiti heroes are the worst to other writers. Some graffiti I think sucks is really popular. It's all a matter of opinion. Keeping it real and illegal and whatever is kind of silly. Maybe some of us have kids and jobs and whatever, and can't afford to get caught keeping it real. That's great if you can, but don't impose rules on some other guy living a separate life. Maybe actually getting out and painting a legal wall while having a wife and kids is pretty damn hardcore. I'd give someone respect for that. Maybe the next time you get arrested is gonna be the last time before you spend the next three years of your life sleeping next to Bubba. I think it'll be better if we all just relaxed and tried to have fun painting, instead of making up rules and keeping up an image. This discussion is about personal growth with your graf, not about testosterone and stock tips vs thins or what have you. There's plenty of that shit in other topics. I mean......please. Seeking may have worded something the wrong way to you, but don't take offense and start calling this guy out about not having the proper credentials. No one's running for office here. Maybe you're way better at graffiti, but I didn't think you needed to paint x amount of freights to have a say in this discussion.

I personally enjoy watching my growth on my freights. It may be basic as fizznuck, and they may be few and far between, but to me its a growing process... The way I look at it, i've only been at this ish for about 3 years or so, and my freights have grown in leaps and bounds (when compared to old freights). I think the added attitude of freights being my new passion helps alot too. But about not liking my freights, i just look at it as, "i'm in this for the long haul" type of attitude, so i'm in no hurry to bust out with some sick wildstyle or whatever.. i just keep it with the flow, and when the scene starts to advance in style... I will adapt with it. I think its an added comfort knowing that I know i'm not gonna be famous for this new found passion of mine (nor do i want to), but I would like to be respected as a writer that was puttin in some work after "x" amount of years. I'm sure you all can relate in some way or another...

Archived