Bush declines NAACP invitation

Æ°

Bush has declined invitations in each year of his presidency -- becoming the first president since Herbert Hoover not to attend an NAACP convention.

You'd think he'd make an effort to acknowledge the black community after that whole 2000 election episode in Florida.

link here:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/08/.../bush.naacp.ap/

story here:

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- President Bush declined an invitation to speak at the NAACP's annual convention, the group said.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People expects more than 8,000 people to attend the convention, which opens on Saturday.

Democratic challenger John Kerry accepted an invitation to speak next Thursday on the final day of the convention, the NAACP said.

Bush spoke at the 2000 NAACP convention in Baltimore when he was running for president.

NAACP spokesman John White said Wednesday that Bush has declined invitations in each year of his presidency -- becoming the first president since Herbert Hoover not to attend an NAACP convention.

The NAACP received a letter from the White House three weeks ago declining the invitation because of scheduling conflicts and thanking them for understanding.

The letter was signed by presidential scheduler Melissa Bennett.

White House spokesman Jim Morrell said Wednesday that the president has spoken about "equal opportunity and equal rights for all Americans" in many public places.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i saw a story on cnn about this and they asked a black guy what he thought about this and his response was, "well, there goes the only black vote that bush might've got"

kinda sums up my thoughts on this issue, too.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

He would have gotten booed and heckled off the podium. Advisers told him to reject the offer to avoid a potentially embarrasing video clip.

Originally posted by Æ°

Bush has declined invitations in each year of his presidency -- becoming the first president since Herbert Hoover not to attend an NAACP convention.

sweet so basically like hoover he will have lost more jobs then created as well as hating on blacks...

sounds champ to me...

really though, i dont blame him...i just think its sad when a president cant go to see the political lobby group of the largest minority in the country where he is the leader of the people...

He went to the Urban League

Some of you guys act like trhere are no black conservatives. After the major civil rights struggle was over, the black civil rights organizations split into three camps. The NAACP is the "rich, educated" black organization. The Black Panther Party/ Nation of Islam are marginalized today, although they were bad ass back in the day.

SNCC (Student Non-violent Coordinating Committe) dissolved, I think. It had both black & white (liberal) members.

The Urban League was always the conservative, "black businessman's" organization. Practical; pragmatic, sympathetic to the Republican message. Lots of BLACK N.R.A. members.

"Deacons for Defense"= the prototype of the Black Panthers. A registered chapter of the N.R.A., believe it or not. 1963, I believe.

Guest KING BLING

^ Bush is actually speaking at an The Urban League event soon if he hasn't already

...In Live From Death Row By Mumia he recalls one of his first encounters with the imfamous MOVE people. They were protesting a NAACP. Mumia recalls that the MOVE people were pissed because it cost like $30 to see Jesse Jackson speak and poor black people don't have that kind of money. I thaught that was awesome, no wonder they all got burned alive...

Archived