Bulls on ATV's

OsCaR306

Ok,I have been benching at this one yard for a while, never had any problems with bulls or what have you. This past week we had out first snowfall and it has only accumulated. Today when visting the yard, up and down every line there was track marks about the size of an ATV. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of railcops driving quads around the yards? THanks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yes there usually are workers on atvs in my yard, i havent painted in the yard yet, but the last time i went benching i was walking down a line, and i saw a light, i knew it wasnt a train, so i just hopped out of there, i didnt wanna risk it, cuz my car was parked right next to the yard, that was the first time that i have seen a worker at that spot, so im gonna have to be very very careful now, i havent found a really decent bench spot yet, except for this one, and another one that isnt really accessible...and oscar...are you associiated with or know anything about some oscar wilde person?, can anyone help me out with this?? im guessin hes an old train hopper, but im not sure...

Originally posted by .:wizo:cdc:.

and oscar...are you associiated with or know anything about some oscar wilde person?, can anyone help me out with this?? im guessin hes an old train hopper, but im not sure...

...is this some kind of really bad joke?...cause if it is no one wants to hear it...

Guest Mike bibby

you think a train cop would ride a fuckin atv? hahah they only roll suv's. out here workers mob those and golf carts around every day. no bulls on atv's trust me.

Originally posted by Mike bibby

you think a train cop would ride a fuckin atv? hahah they only roll suv's. out here workers mob those and golf carts around every day. no bulls on atv's trust me.

actually, i've seen this in certain parts of the country. usually in the longer stretched out yards where it takes some time to get from one side to the other and the access roads are kinda shitty. on the plus side, they're loud as fuck so you can hear em coming from a mile away.

i've also gotten scared off like an idiot from drunk teens on 4wheelers just looking for a place to run around. if you know your yard well enough, you'll know if they have an atv.

My yard is tight

I live in Canada..obviously. But the CP yard here is so sweet when i drive threw looking at trains, workers de-coupling cars,workers driving trucks,and engineers always smile and wave, It's awesome But i mean i driver threw there at least once a day so they've gotten to know what my truck looks like..werd up to all writers..p's GVCREW!

im in the south so all our bulls roll caprice classics candy paint, plush leather guts sittin on 23" spinners.

seriously dont ever expect to see a bull in anything. when you start looking for them to only be in one type of vehicle thats when you will get caught slippin.

thats a wor dup.

you really never know what is gonna roll up on you and bust you.....

i was benching today, and i decide to look for another spot in the yard....so im driving around, and i see this big ass conversion van haulin ass around the yard...i have no clue who all was in it, im thinkin it might be some type of transportation, for workers that have come in from other places or somethin, like conductors or somethin....can anyone give me some more info about this??

Railworkers would use ATVs in a yard, but usually only to inspect an outbound rolling train or travel areas that a regular sized vehicle couldn't operate in, most of the time due to convenience and comfort they would use the ever-so-common pickup truck or Suburban for roads and trails. Also ATV's are pretty loud, a Bull would want to be silent while patrolling the yards. The Passenger vans you see around yards are usually for picking up train crews who go dead on the clock (they reach the maximum time allowed to work). They are easily distinguished by the reflective striping on the sides and rear, and many times sport out of state plates. Bulls on the otherhand, as already stated can be found in various vehicles, from my experiences, I have seen them in marked and unmarked vehicles. Sometimes a Chevy Blazer SUV or a Chevy Lumina passenger car, they also vary in colors...But why waste time looking out for vehicles...my money is on the bull getting out of his vehicle farther away and sneaking up on you. Bulls are far more technologically advanced than some might think, depending on the size of the yard, railroad, and if its an intermodal terminal, hump/classification yard, overflow yard, or simply an out of the way layup...Different tactics are used at different yards.

you think that bulls would be on the lookout for people, if the yard hasnt really had any writers in it for a long ass time, or possibly never?, i dont think that anyone has painted fr8s down here in my yard or lay-up...so im not really sure that the bulls would be driving around lookin for writers, but when bulls usually drive around, or workers drive around, what are they usually going out to do? i dont wanna be in the wrong place at the wrong time....

• 3 weeks later...

when it gets down to -20 you better believe those brakemen aint walkin the whole line to put that FRED on. I still remember how insane some of the quad driving brakemen are at the big cp yard in winnipeg. I was benching from the car (like I said, -20) and I saw a big cloud of snow working its way down the inspection road towards the end of a double stack line getting ready to leave. the guy gets to the end, releases the throttle, powerslides over the packed snow and ice to the other side of the line. he hops off, grabs the FRED, and walks over to put it on, while the quad is still rolling away. in seconds he has it on, runs up behind the quad which is still rolling away, hops on, guns it and disappears back up the line in a cloud of snow.

Originally posted by .:wizo:cdc:.

you really never know what is gonna roll up on you and bust you.....

i was benching today, and i decide to look for another spot in the yard....so im driving around, and i see this big ass conversion van haulin ass around the yard...i have no clue who all was in it, im thinkin it might be some type of transportation, for workers that have come in from other places or somethin, like conductors or somethin....can anyone give me some more info about this??

you guessed it, van transportation for crew changes etc, runs them straight to a hotel...shit, shower, and shave...

bulls on atv's? highly unlikely, workers? possible..wheres a bull going to put you with an atv? tie you up, handcuff you to the bumper, or axle, and drag you from behind? think about it..bulls=suv's...not atv's...in my classification yard, approx. 70 tracks wide, and 2-3 miles long, workers, usually maintenance crews ,drive what appear to be, mini sized trucks, or buggies, with little beds on them, and a roof, with small doors, mostly welders using them...they also leave tracks, similar in size to an atv....I've seen them used on the regular, cold season, summer, whatever..hope this clears it up for ya's...:cool:

Never seen a bull on an ATV

But I see car knockers and switchmen on them all the time. One reason bulls don't use ATV's is they are usually the only LEO in the yard (big yards in Houston might have two--Englewood Yard has at least two, sometimes more) and if he apprehends somebody, he has no way to transport the prisoner back to the lock-up, if he is riding an ATV. He can't handcuff you to the train. He can't let you ride behind him. So if he arrests you, he needs a way to transport you.

Here in Houston, I see a lot of Ford Explorers, sometimes a Chevy Blazer. Lots of crew change vans, usually newer, white, Dodge or Ford vans. I think Cimmarron Transportation has the contract for UP. Not sure about the crew change vans for BNSF.

Re: Never seen a bull on an ATV

Originally posted by KaBar2

Here in Houston, I see a lot of Ford Explorers, sometimes a Chevy Blazer.

I see a lot of those 2 vehicles here in CSX country. And I agree with not stereotyping bulls, but it's an immediate given to hide or vacate the spot when either of those are nearby.

• 2 weeks later...