Broke bored and hungry

deterrent

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by deterrent@Mar 15 2005, 11:55 AM

I'm broke and sick of pasta and soup. I'm trying to spend $1-2 per meal.

Got any suggestions?

when i'm that broke i either eat ramen or something off a 99cent menu.. i.e. wendys, taco bell, etc.. although i hate resorting to the latter, sometimes it's my only option

I'm keeping to that sort of budget so my suggestions are

Rice fried boiled fills you right up!

Potatoes

chips,mashed, boiled, baked with toppings, roasted!

lentils with a bit of oil and onion, water, turmeric you can make dhal (lentil soup) half of india lives on the shit! cost you like 50c a meal

work out your menu for the week and combine your ingredients so you don't waste stuff.

vegatable soup finishes off the leftovers at the end of the week.

Meat always blows the budget but if you bulk on veggies and get by with very little meat you'll be laughing

Not vegetarian but basically vegetables are cheap as!

Originally posted by deterrent@Mar 15 2005, 05:14 PM

I'm a vegitarian, I do the lentils for a while they're packed with protein.

Driving past the payment window works? That too funny. I've always wanted to do the

Jackass move were a car places the order and you runpast intersepting the passoff.

cky used to be cool until every 8 year old turn in to bam or die!

Oh, buy boxes of jiffy mix.. they're cheap and good. you can make muffins, cornbread, etc..

i buy the pizza dough mix, and get one of those jars of pizza sauce.. home made pizza is yummy and you can basiclly use whatever's in your fridge as toppings (onions, ground beef, bacon, leftover chicken, etc)..

word to the jiffy on the PANCAKE tip

filling as all get out, good with jelly or syrup or even just butter

easy to make

RICE & BEANS

stoopit filling, this shit is super healthy also

feeling rich? add cheese

RAMEN.

classic poor man's meal

SUBWAY

meatball subs 2.99

EGGS, WITH TOAST & MILK

scrambled, hardboiled, or a big omelette

GRILLED CHEESE

PEANUT BUTTER & JELLY

BANANAS & PEANUT BUTTER

MAC & CHEESE

the PIZZA is a good idea too.

but you can get crazy cheap if you actually make the dough and sauce from scratch.

takes a bit more time, and some planning, but flour, water and yeast are super cheap.

i know this doesn't SEEM cheap.. but a good way i save money is by making a large roast on a sunday.. they're 8-10 bucks depending on how big it is, but you can eat off of it for at least a week..

make the roast in a crock pot.. YUM.. you can make sammiches/po-boys (or hoagies as all you northerners call them) out of the leftovers and it's super yummy.

lots of garlic helps :)

Originally posted by saraday@Mar 15 2005, 01:40 PM

i know this doesn't SEEM cheap.. but a good way i save money is by making a large roast on a sunday.. they're 8-10 bucks depending on how big it is, but you can eat off of it for at least a week..

make the roast in a crock pot.. YUM.. you can make sammiches/po-boys (or hoagies as all you northerners call them) out of the leftovers and it's super yummy.

lots of garlic helps :)

damn that sounds good..my mom used to make roast all the time,it got old after a while because i was eatting roast like twice a week,it fills up your stomach though..no complaints there.

A real good trick is to go to the supermarket at use the self-checkout line. When you ring something up, like say 5 dollars worth of fresh hamburger meat, or 8 dollars worth of chicken breast, don't use the barcode on the package. Instead, weigh the meat on the scale as baby carrots or peas or something similar. 5 dollars of meat becomes 40 cents worth of vegetables.

Fermentor's trick works wonders, I've used it when I was broke before. Nobody really suspects much unless they're staring at your screen because you still rang it up.

Look into some indian vegetarian recipes on recipesource.com. Cheaper than all get out.

Guest willy.wonka

yeah, dont forget about rice...

but me and my homie went to safeway and stole some boneless chicken, some spaghetti sauce and some olive oil...

cooked the chicked and then put the pasta sauce on top.. very good.

you can always resort to dumpster diving. Bakeries are good spots as most of them throw out thier extra bread at the end of the day. Nothing like getting 15 loaves of bread for free. I got some awesome cheddar something else bread in teh freezer. Just make sure that all the bread is in its own seperate trashbag from everyting else.

You can always rack food or go on the survivor diet and just eat nothing but steamed rice.

Salvage stores are also awesome. Most supermarkets won't sell dented cans of food so go to the stores that sell those cans and get that shit dirt cheap. Nothing like cans of campbells soup for a quarter a can. Rock on

gwen stefani sucks.