Britain to ease marijuana laws

KaBar

LONDON--David Blunkett, the Home Secretary (roughly equivalent to the Attorney General of the United States) told Parlaiment that police will no longer arrest people for smoking "cannabis" as the drug is known in Britain. Possession of a supply of the drug for personal use will also be ignored. Cannabis will still be considered an illegal drug, however, and selling it will remain an arrestable offense.

"Making a differentiation between drugs that kill and drugs that do not would be scientifically appropriate and educationally valuable," Blunkett said. He promised an increase in education programs.

"The message is clear--drugs are dangerous," he said. "We weill educate, persuade and where necessary, direct young people away from their use."

This follows a European trend of decriminalizing marijuana and all "party drugs", such as Ecstasy. However, a political coalition in the Netherlands, due to come of office later this month, announced plans to "tighten" some of that country's drug laws. In fact, the latest trend in Europe is to decriminalize all drugs, including heroin and cocaine, treating drug use as a health problem instead of a crime.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by KaBar

LONDON--David Blunkett, the Home Secretary (roughly equivalent to the Attorney General of the United States) told Parlaiment that police will no longer arrest people for smoking "cannabis" as the drug is known in Britain. Possession of a supply of the drug for personal use will also be ignored. Cannabis will still be considered an illegal drug, however, and selling it will remain an arrestable offense.

"Making a differentiation between drugs that kill and drugs that do not would be scientifically appropriate and educationally valuable," Blunkett said. He promised an increase in education programs.

"The message is clear--drugs are dangerous," he said. "We weill educate, persuade and where necessary, direct young people away from their use."

This follows a European trend of decriminalizing marijuana and all "party drugs", such as Ecstasy. However, a political coalition in the Netherlands, due to come of office later this month, announced plans to "tighten" some of that country's drug laws. In fact, the latest trend in Europe is to decriminalize all drugs, including heroin and cocaine, treating drug use as a health problem instead of a crime.

DAMN IM MOVING TO BRITAIN!!

you kno your a pothead when you cant even remember where you put your weed (just happened to me yesterday)

Guest Retnilps

sounds good. even though i dont smoke, i dont see why a non violent drug like weed should be put down so much. most of the trafficking of this drug is so much more peaceful than the trafficking of drugs like cocaine and heroin. but i think those should be decriminalized too because it would make trafficking less dangerous and crackheads wouldnt have to junp in a dumpster to smoke.

Guest --zeSto--

canada is already talking about following the lead set in Brixton (the test area in south london).

The goal is to deal with crimes that are a result of hard drug use (theft, muggings etc)

as opposed to dealing with casual pot smokers.

hell lets see anyone get motivated to rob a bank after smoking some BC hydro.

Originally posted by AeRoSoL JuNkiE

Maybe if this works out good(which it should) maybe the US will ease up a litte bit on the cannabis laws but I highly doubt that...

this will be the best thing to happen to us, soon we will be able to smoke without fear, the US will never let the brits get one up on us.

I saw something on the news about nevada proposing to decriminalize pot as well

an adult will be able to own up to three ounces, it will be sold in state run stores and taxed like cigarettes

Guest --zeSto--

I'm sorry to say it guys but....

The USA will be the LAST country to decriminalize pot

They will NEVER surrender to the war on drugs and admit that they were wasting all that time and money.

Plus they really would have to let the thousands of americans who are in prison because of pot charges go free.

and hell... you guys haven't even caught up with the metric system...

I doubt that any leftist-liberal legal changes would be welcomed.

Originally posted by --zeSto--

I'm sorry to say it guys but....

The USA will be the LAST country to decriminalize pot

They will NEVER surrender to the war on drugs and admit that they were wasting all that time and money.

Yea, I highly doubt them easing up at all. They don't want anyone decriminalizing it. They tried to persuade Canada not to do it, then they wouldnt hand over and good qaulity seeds so Canada got stuck with a shit load of weak medicinal herb. The US we even go as far as stopping trade with Jamaica because they want to decriminalize it. It's so stupid

Guest --zeSto--

^ and considerint that jamaica only has 3 resources... tourism, sugar cane, ganja...

it doesnt' make sence for them to 'crack down' on the ganja,

because then the tourism is hurt as well.

Guest Deist

Id like to see them legalize drugs that can actually serve a purpose, (Perhaps 2cb,mdma,psilocybin,lsd,ketamine*Morph* etc)Dont get me wrong Cannabis is great if you have an ailment and need it for relief ... but lets face it the people who are really going to use herb heavily are the 13-24 year olds who only see it as another way to "Kick Back" and be cool.

Its unfortunate that most substance users in the U.S. haven't the slightest clue as to what it is that there taking and what greater purpose and value most psychoactive would serve provided they were used widely for a more beneficial out come, instead of just to get "Fucked up."

*On a side note id be interested to see if the use of cannabis drops in youth due to legalization, after all nostalgia wont have meaning after that.*

Guest --zeSto--

^ I agree with most of that.

I've heard a rumour that the budweiser corp. has been making donations

to various leagal teams and lobby groups who want to keep pot illegal.

It makes sence... the future 'legal pot consumer' is probably today's '6-pack of Bud man.'

Sure some people will start using the drug simply because they can,

but it's been proven in the Netherlands that pot use amongst teens has gone down.

I dont think that many people will convert to using it simply because it's there...

unless there's a Coke/Pepsi style add campaign (which they could easily afford)

Guest willy.wonka

strange..i had adream that i was filming a crazy snowboarder and i got cut..my medicatin was a highly recomended kit of marijuana..thc oil,joints,these edible balls.

they are trying to do the same in nevada..where its a felony offence to have a seed on you.or so it seems.

Originally posted by Canadiano

^^ you know that Regulator is a newbie to the world of marijuana when he writes shit like that.

a motha fckin newbie?? im been smoking for like 2 years...idont want no "drama" with your ass but stop making judgements

Guest --zeSto--

so do any of you guys really know what marijuana and canabis products are illegal ?

well I'll tell you (the short version)

Everone knows that all ropes, canvas, denim and paper can be made from canabis.

And because the crop grows so quick, it's easly sustaniabe. So what's the prob?

Simple... The same cotton farmers who's grandfathers owned slaves wanted cotton

to be the number one crop for the textile industry.

And because certain strains of the plant had psychoactive properties,

they lobbied a pretty good case to their ultra-conservative buddies on the senate.

There was a time when anything pleasurable was considered 'evil',

and these men used that backwater christians fanataticism to make all formes of the 'wonder-weed' illegal.

so that's it.

Paid-Off Puritan Politicians.

you're wrong zesto... hemp has been known as the strongest natural fiber since egyptian times... cotton has always been more refinable, however, so cotton was always king in the textile industry...

the lobbying that worked was a result of Dow chemical's paper refining process which used bleached wood pulp as it's base instead of the traditional hemp...

thats nothing, here in nevada, we have just sucscessfully petioned(sp) to have new laws regarding pot, soon the voters will be able to vote on weather or not it will be legal to have up to 3oz of pot. much like the artical, selling will still be a criminal offense, but personal use will not be.

You're Gonna Hate This

My buddies and I smoked weed the first time in 1963, when I was 13 years old. I dropped LSD the first time in 1964, when it was still legal. We had a friend from school whose mother died of cancer and left him an orphan. His brother was an Army paratrooper, and he got a hardship discharge so he could get out and come home to raise his little brother. Except the paratrooper and his running buddy (who got out later) were both dope dealers. So we had an "in" with a dealer, and were getting weed at wholesale prices if we bought a pound and split it up ourselves. The first one we bought (this is no bullshit) we had a paper bag full of ones, fives and CHANGE. The seller laughed his ass off. Sixty-five dollars in small bills and pocket change. We took the pound home in a gym bag from school, on our bicycles.

Later, Dino (our connection) got busted and received a ten-year sentence for sales of narcotics. If we had been there when the cops arrived, we probably would have gotten Gatesville (reform school) until we were 18. How shitty would that have been? Message to you kids---"Don't try this at home, unless you like anal sex."

parts of hte US are trying to decriminalize weed. a couple states had hte medical cannibus thing for a while. i havent heard the latest on it but i heard bush is shutting it down. mendecino was trying to let people have 25 plants but i hear bush is crackin down on that too. what a bitch. im telling you, its because of hemp, the profit made from the war on drugs, and stubbornness. fuckin nazis...

Archived