BOOKS?

The Hipster

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

you double posted this thread.

I deleted the other one. Just FYI

Lodown: Graphic Engineering - more of a skate culture + design + graf book.

Same people as the scizo book you posted.

pack.jpg

the House Industires book. for all the fontographers.

well worth the money...

http://www.dpmpublishing.com/

book.jpg

Maharishi?s Creative Director, Hardy Blechman has been extremely influential in the proliferation of camouflage and combat trousers (or Snopants®) in civilian fashion over the past decade. Now, after six years of intensive research, he reveals the depth of his exploration into the vast world of camouflage in his magnum opus: DPM (Disruptive Pattern Material). DPM is an encyclopaedic art book that charts the history of camouflage from its roots in nature, through to its adoption by the military, and on to its current popularity and use within modern civilian culture. Divided into two books totalling 944 pages, no other title offers such comprehensive coverage of this multi-faceted and highly engaging subject.

DPM contains more than 5,000 images, many of which are previously unpublished, by some of the world's leading nature, military and fashion photographers. Included are depictions of camo-clad cultural icons such as David Beckham, Robert De Niro, U2, Notorious BIG, Ali G, Neneh Cherry, and Joe Strummer.

The book includes a comprehensive, historical guide to the camouflage patterns issued to soldiers of 107 nations around the world. DPM also, for the first time in print, thoroughly documents the rise of camouflage outside of the armed forces - used by anti-war protesters in the 1960s, further explored by modern artists, and reinvented within areas such as fashion, architecture, music, film, and sport among numerous other fields. Throughout the book, including the 'Military' section, a strong anti-war sentiment is expressed with the emphasis on camouflage's natural and artistic beauty.

Drawing on the expertise of an extensive team of consultants, DPM is the most authoritative camouflage manual ever published and an indispensable modern reference guide for both the novice and seasoned camoufleur.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I accidently came across a magazine called ARKITIP while looking for books on Ebay. I've never heard of it before, so I checked out their website and their issues are packaged with random "art stuff" such as REAS air freshners and Marc Jacobs deck of cards.

http://www.arkitip.com/magazines/

I tend to gravitate towards graffiti books. Some of my favorites are Reas/Twist/Espo's Market Street and Grime's Two Year Autopsy. Roger Gastman's Freight Train Graffiti is not shabby either. Stay away from Graffiti World... I've flipped through it once since I got it.

:wink2:

books.jpg

just picked these up. vitamin D is a compliment to vitamin P... both a huge survey of current painters and drawers. amazing inspiration books.

as far as graffiti to design, i'd definitely recommend lodown schizophrenic I and II, writing: urban calligraphy and beyond, anything david carson (even though he's a dick), and the AKA/vapors shit is easily the best example of bringing the two together. i could unload my paycheck at http://www.youworkforthem.com every time.

• 1 month later...

Meet Mr. Product : The Art of the Advertising Character

edited by Warren Dotz and Masud Husain

Book Description

Here in Meet Mr. Product you’ll find a vibrantly colorful tribute to such pop-culture icons as the Jolly Green Giant, natty Mr. Peanut, the cute little Morton Salt Girl, and the countless other advertising characters who have been helping us navigate the grocery aisles and choose our products for years. Offering up a bustling gallery of over 500 spokescharacters, this chunky compendium charts the origins and development of the advertising character and gives brief glimpses into some of their most intimate secrets. (Did you know that the Michelin Man has been spotted with glamorous ladies on his arm? Or that Borden’s Elsie the Cow was married to Elmer of household glue fame?) Famous faces and a host of recently rediscovered characters fill Meet Mr. Product’s pages to bursting.

About the Author

Warren Dotz is a Berkeley, California-based author, consultant, and popular culture historian. His collection of advertising characters is one of the largest in existence. Masud Husain is a graphic designer and principal of Studio West Design in San Francisco.

(i just copied the info from amazon. its a great and inexpensive book.)

• 2 weeks later...

I AM 8-BIT....(ART SECTION...I FORGET THE AUTHORS NAME)

THIS SHIT IS DOPE....IT SHOWS DIFFERENT ART THAT GOES ALONG WITH OLD SCHOOL VIDEO GAMES SUCH AS MARIO BROS., DUCK HUNT, ZELDA, AND SO ON..

PEEP IT LIKE VICTORIA'S SECRET

OVER AND OUT

• 2 weeks later...
I accidently came across a magazine called ARKITIP while looking for books on Ebay. I've never heard of it before, so I checked out their website and their issues are packaged with random "art stuff" such as REAS air freshners and Marc Jacobs deck of cards.

http://www.arkitip.com/magazines/

I tend to gravitate towards graffiti books. Some of my favorites are Reas/Twist/Espo's Market Street and Grime's Two Year Autopsy. Roger Gastman's Freight Train Graffiti is not shabby either. Stay away from Graffiti World... I've flipped through it once since I got it.

:wink2:

good looking out

Freight Train Graffiti is a pretty good book. Probably the best Graffiti related book I've purchased, but then again I don't buy much... So my opinion is kind of invalid. Tons of interviews (with over 100 diff. writers) and even more pictures. It's a very well rounded book, it doesn't get boring like the handful I've seen.

3284-23.jpg

God bless Barnes and Noble.

-J.

• 4 weeks later...
Freight Train Graffiti is a pretty good book. Probably the best Graffiti related book I've purchased, but then again I don't buy much... So my opinion is kind of invalid. Tons of interviews (with over 100 diff. writers) and even more pictures. It's a very well rounded book, it doesn't get boring like the handful I've seen.

3284-23.jpg

God bless Barnes and Noble.

-J.

I agree, a must buy for any freight writer. Covers all perspectives of freights from pieces, to hobo streaks history. You can learn alot from this book, and you will defintley enjoy it.:p

• 1 year later...