---->>Books<<-----

se_FOUR

Right I was never an avid reader of books, up to a year ago I like only read one..lol..Anyways "Brixton Rock" was simply a great book I couldn`t put it down for a second!!

Brixton Rock

http://www.blackamber.com/images/brixton.jpg'>

Here`s some reviews..

The Times

"A triumph…. Bears a striking resemblance to Graham Greene’s Brighton Rock … the main difference is that Brixton Rock is very funny. Brixton Rock is a pacey document of teenage angst….which is why the pockets of humour…prove to be such a triumph. This is a debut which confirms its author…a pro in prose."

The Daily Telegraph

"The story. trundles along energetically but the novel’s real strength lies in the dialogue. Wheatle gives us a fascinating snapshot of black English in the early eighties and I wondered whether he had film adaptation in mind."

New Statesman

"Alex Wheatle’s Brixton Rock [has] initiated the debate on how it feels to be a mixed race Briton."

Crime Time

"Sharp-edged and sardonically funny, Brixton Rock is Graham Greene for the hip-hop generation - a strong and quirky debut by Alex Wheatle."

World Literature Today

"Wheatle has a powerful subject which he made into a Brighton Rock for contemporary England, a story about the inner life of a wounded social outcast who is redeemed while being a criminal."

Greater London Radio

"A great debut novel. Really, really exciting story…Alex Wheatle will be a great writer…brilliant ending."

Just discovered two more books by him

East Acre Lane--->> Follows Brixton Rock

Seven Sisters...

Anyways was a great read..

If you guys got anything to recommend please say..

Ethreadzny-->> you have helped me out in the past, any suggestions mate?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

I mentioned it in the past, Alex Garland's (author of 'The beach', 'The tesseract' and the screenplay of '28 days later') new book is a fuckin masterpiece...

The Coma

http://www.faber.co.uk/pictures/books/small/f/fb/fb00aa85f440e13b7e81c91b3f7cc33f.jpg'>

Carl is brutally assaulted in an underground train while protecting a young woman from a gang of thugs. Beaten unconscious, he lies for days in a hospital bed. On discharge Carl starts to notice strange leaps in time, distortions in his experience. Is he truly interacting with the outside world, or could he still be in the coma?

The Coma is the new novel from Alex Garland - a gripping mystery and stylistic tour de force that delves deep into the subconscious mind, with brilliantly disturbing results. It is illustrated with 45 woodcuts by Nicholas Garland.

+Reviews+

what I've read this summer:

Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemmingway

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis

Blue Beard - Kurt Vonnegut(sp)

Nine Stories - J.D. Salinger

White Lines: Authors on Cocaine - various essays and exerpts

Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemmingway

Reread:

Less than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis

Glamorams - Bret Easton Ellis

Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahnuik

Currently Reading:

Slaughter House Five - Kurt Vonnegut

Originally posted by Tesseract

It is illustrated with 45 woodcuts by Nicholas Garland.

woodcuts are great!!

oh...

if you like The Da Vinci Code... check 'the Assasini'.

Originally posted by MrChupacabra

Some good choices misp. I just read "The Stranger" and "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse and enjoyed them, but the authors name of "The Stranger" is escaping me at the moment.

Albert Camus, right?

I re-read Siddhartha not too long ago. What a great book, one of my favorites. Others by Hesse that I've read and liked: Gertrude, Demian, Narcissus and Goldmund. I started Steppenwolf but never got around to finishing it.

Guest imported_Tesseract

I have steppenwolf lying on my desk for one month with a dedication from my ex on the front page..i dunno what she's trying to tell me

i had to sit in an office for 13hrs each day for the last week.. i read two books the bourne trilogy and 2010 a space.. yeah you know its the sequal.. both of them are kinda interestin..

on a side note i had to stop readin the 2010 cause my ex (one of the bosses daughters) is now "workin" with me.. gettin paid while gettin laid.. shes a fool but sex..

meh..

Originally posted by Tesseract

I mentioned it in the past, Alex Garland's (author of 'The beach', 'The tesseract' and the screenplay of '28 days later') new book is a fuckin masterpiece...

The Coma

http://www.faber.co.uk/pictures/books/small/f/fb/fb00aa85f440e13b7e81c91b3f7cc33f.jpg'>

Carl is brutally assaulted in an underground train while protecting a young woman from a gang of thugs. Beaten unconscious, he lies for days in a hospital bed. On discharge Carl starts to notice strange leaps in time, distortions in his experience. Is he truly interacting with the outside world, or could he still be in the coma?

The Coma is the new novel from Alex Garland - a gripping mystery and stylistic tour de force that delves deep into the subconscious mind, with brilliantly disturbing results. It is illustrated with 45 woodcuts by Nicholas Garland.

+Reviews+

this actually sounds really cool. i'm gonna look for it.

here's somethign i've been reading lately. whenever i end up killing time (no pun intended) in a book store i usually pick up where i left off in this book.

http://www.feralhouse.com/images/newloc2.jpg'>

reviews and shit

KAOS!!! THAT IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS. AHHHHH. Okay, Im done being ridiculously enthusiastic.

Also, everyone needs to read "My Less Than Secret Life" By Jonathan Ames

http://www.jonathanames.com/images/book_covers/LessThanSecretLife.jpg'>

I just fineshed it.. to sum it up, its a memior of a perverted, blunt man in his 30s. So hilarious, but not just a goofy book.

RIght now Im reading "The Extra Man" by him, http://www.jonathanames.com/images/book_covers/ExtraMan.jpg'>. Its amazing so far and Im only to page 80.

Archived