Books: Everybody Get Your Read On

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorrow.jpg

the last book I read. written by an NVA soldier who survived the vietnam war

he was one of less than 10 from 600 in his battalian who survived tens years of fighting. some of his friends were killed on V-DAY (the day the North vietnamese won). In the book they smoke some sort of halucengenic root and see headless ghosts of black american soldiers, holding lanterns walking through the jungle. the book is really depressing but good.

the next book I plan to read is neville shute's "on the beach" after really liking the mini series

Guest perve

just read a book called colors insulting to nature "cintra wilson" pretty good.

im currently reading naked lunch by william burroughs.............

Originally posted by WhiteOx@Jun 12 2005, 12:33 AM

sorrow.jpg

the last book I read. written by an NVA soldier who survived the vietnam war

he was one of less than 10 from 600 in his battalian who survived tens years of fighting. some of his friends were killed on V-DAY (the day the North vietnamese won). In the book they smoke some sort of halucengenic root and see headless ghosts of black american soldiers, holding lanterns walking through the jungle. the book is really depressing but good.

the next book I plan to read is neville shute's "on the beach" after really liking the mini series

sounds interesting. i'll look in to it. i've read a whole bunch of books about vietnam written by soldiers, generals, journalists, etc. from the american side but i've wanted to read one from an NVA or VC experience.

Just fineshed:

0b3f87c2.jpg

Diary of an Emotional Idiot by M. Estep

Great read, heres an excerpt:

"White people dancing can be embarassing. Like heavy petting with someone you've known for many years and never thought of in sexual terms. Suddenly, your hand is down his pants. You fit your paw around his appendage, you look into his face and see that it is the face of your friend Buddy, for whom you never had sexual feelings. And now, for some unfathomable reason, your hand is down his pants and you are profoundly embarassed. "

Now reading:

kerouac_sub.jpg

The Subterreneans by Kerouac

Guest Pilau Hands

spiritcov234.jpg

The Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down

Anne Fadiman

Just finished this...non-fiction. It's about a little Hmong girl who had epilepsy in Merced, California. Mostly though...it involves the disaster that took place when the Hmong culture met Western medicine, and how the two were just an awful match. The medical language is a little off-putting sometimes, but Fadiman writes really wonderfully and that kept me interested. It was worth the read just to learn a little about the Hmong culture which sounds beautiful in its intricacies.

"The Hmong have a phrase, bais cuaj txub kaum txub, which means "to speak of all kinds of things." It is often used at the beginning of an oral narrative as a way of reminding the listeners that the world is full of things that may not seem to be connected but actually are; that no event occurs in isolation; that you can miss a lot by sticking to the point; and that the storyteller is likely to be rather long-winded. I once heard Nao Kao Lee begin a description of his village in Laos by saying, "It was where I was born and where my father was born and died and was buried and where my father's father died and was buried, but my father's father was born in China and to tell you about that would take all night." If a Hmong tells a fable, for example, about Why Animals Cannot Talk or Why Doodble Bugs Roll Balls of Dung, he is likely to begin with the beginning of the world."

--

Gonna start Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman today

just finished american psycho and it was awesome, so much better then the movie which was good

im about to finish big brother is watching by elaine landau and its pretty boring i must say

after that im gonna read weaverworld by clive barker

yupp

a friend of mine is getting b o o k w o r m tattoed on his knuckles sometime soon

Damn I'm going book shopping~

some serious recommendations I need to check out~~

especial bump for "The Prince"

Let me(us) know how that Kerouac book is~

-----

dhammapada-1.jpg

"However many holy words you read,

However many you speak,

if you don't act upon,

you are a shepard

counting another mans sheep"

"When a man does evil work,

he forgets he is building a fire,

in which he one day must burn"

"Those who make channels control the waters,

Those who make crops control the land,

Those who make truth, control their soul"

"For he whose mind is well trained

in the ways that lead to light,

Who surrenders the bondage of attachemnts

and finds joy in his freedom,

Who free from darkness of passions

shines pure in a radiance of light,

even in this mortal life he experiences the immortal Nirvana."

Originally posted by mackfatsoe@Jun 11 2005, 10:06 PM

Just read Lullaby by Palanuik (sp) and now im reading Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger.

Lullaby was pretty good.

I've had this book for way too lonng and its very hard for me to get into it. Choke was good but I just cant do this one..

I think I may read catcher in the rye again . .. read a book of quotations today.

Originally posted by rental@Jun 13 2005, 02:08 AM

just finished ayn rand's fountainhead. awesome.

YES.

Now read Atlas Shrugged. (Which i'm going through again)

Then read all of her non-fiction.

Then read Nathaniel Brandon's ('s? Always get that confused), her not-so-secret lovers (while they were both married, yes yes shameful) works on Objectivism to complete the integration.

just finished--"the magic of recluce"--LE Modessit Jr.

amusing, slightly elementary fantasy. i would recommend it, but not highly.

currently reading--"The Great Hunt," by Robert Jordan

book 2 in the wheel of time. i was disappointed by the ending of book 1, "Eye of the World," but book 2 is closing up the gaps i felt were there and i have been promised (by my little brother) a much more gratifying battle at the end of this... we shall see

also, "the complete short stories of Hemingway,"

i genuinely love this guy's work. if you haven't read his stuff, or much of it, you should.