books and authors

Guest professor poopatronic

ok well there hasn't been any literature topics lately and i'm trying to find new stuff to read so i made this post. i seem to always find myself reading the same authors (which i don't mind, that's why i read them) and i want to see what other people like or would recommend. and so i'm actually contributing, some writers i would recommend include JD salinger, charles bukowski, jack kerouac, kurt vonnegut, ernest hemingway, and many others i'll think of later.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest socrates

all the old shit by wimsatt and hella books about middle east relations and the otonian art period...yeah im wierd

everything's got to be a popularity contest on here.

books i've read and would recommend recently:

American Gods- Neil Gaiman

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner- Alan Silitoe

Bushwacked Piano- Thomas McGuane

i thought the lonliness of the long distance runner was a song by iron maiden.

kurt vonnegut is great for literary merit and entertainment. camus' the plague combines disease and philosophy- totally sweet. trying to read joyce's ulysses right now. really interesting but one of the most difficult books in the english language.

Guest platapie

i feel liek such a dumbass sometiems to think ive never finished readign a real book. back to the computer and tv i guess.

Isaac Asimov - the Foundation trilogy

I, Robot

I don't know if science fiction is your thing, but I fucking love this guy's writing.

And if by some chance you haven't read The Lord of Rings, read it immediately. Even if you think you don't like fantasy, there's no way anyone in their right mind could dislike these books.

Originally posted by Xeroshoes

And if by some chance you haven't read The Lord of Rings, read it immediately. Even if you think you don't like fantasy, there's no way anyone in their right mind could dislike these books.

right here, Bored of the Fucking Rings. I thought it blew, and its not because I'm not a big reader............

anyway, serious literature? Homer's Odyssey. nuff said

definately, that guy is way out there, in a very good way. i just picked him up because i was somewhere they had only number one best sellers and they looked pretty sucky. so my hopes weren't very high, i was sooo0 wrong.

propers to thalatta for giving joyce's ulysses a shot. that is not easy, but once you're in, you're in. i've read it close to a dozen times. of course, the original odyssey is the best story ever told.

but if you can handle dense, but aren't up for long, what i recommend is jorge luis borges' labyrinths or a personal anthology. it's what all the kids are reading now.

much of what you guys are ratting off here is basic high school and college stuff, which is fine for that age and good reading, but still rather basic. therefore, here's a grown-ups guide:

if you dig camus, move on to sartre.

if you dig kerouac, move on to burroughs.

if you dig bukowski, move on to beckett.

if you dig marquez, move on to borges.

if you dig hemingway, move on to faulkner.

these aren't that much more grown-up really, but they're a next step.

really, if you want some reading that will grow with you, you gotta go for the old tales.... the bible, odyssey, ramayana, beowulf, and so forth. also, twain, swift, and melville will grow with you. all that sci-fi shit is wack, as timeless as an apple two plus.

really, if you want some reading that will grow with you, you gotta go for the old tales.... the bible, odyssey, ramayana, beowulf, and so forth. also, twain, swift, and melville will grow with you. all that sci-fi shit is wack, as timeless as an apple two plus. [/b]

that's a pretty broad statement, have you read kurt v.? orsen welles? i admit i'm not the biggest sci. fi. head or anything, but there is as much timeless sci. fi. stories out there as any other.

noam chomsky - anything (if you're into politics)

edgar allan poe - anything (truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu)

hemingway - "in our time" (small book, good short chapters that are to the point)

some british guy - "rime of the ancient mariner" (so you know what the hell IRON MAIDEN was talking about!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1295000/images/_1298503_webby300.jpg'>

Ms. Badu thinks you better call Tyrone first and tell him to "rawk awn".

Originally posted by bodice_ripper

Homer's Odyssey. nuff said

ugh...

not if you had to translate half or more of it (i think we actually translated all of it) in your latin class.

man, if that was ever a bad move in high school........

:mad::heated:

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by Sonik3000

but if you can handle dense, but aren't up for long, what i recommend is jorge luis borges' labyrinths or a personal anthology. it's what all the kids are reading now.

Bump for JLB... fave author for a looong time. I dunno about the english translations, but the spanish originals are incredible.

I don't know about you science (NOT sci-fi) guys, but I can't wait to get a hold of Stephen Wolfram's "A New Kind of Science". A must-read for the wonk saggers. Beer,

El Mamerro

sonik just burnt chozer like gonhorrea. i agree with his statement that sci-fi is bogus and most if those if...then statements especially then one about faulkner. most of the "out there" authors you guys mention only have "being out there" as a virtue, but faulkner was out there, and one of the best novelists in the language. peep henry james, be cause he is the best novelist in the language. and put down lord of the rings

Originally posted by Sonik3000

propers to thalatta for giving joyce's ulysses a shot. that is not easy, but once you're in, you're in. i've read it close to a dozen times. of course, the original odyssey is the best story ever told.

much of what you guys are ratting off here is basic high school and college stuff, which is fine for that age and good reading, but still rather basic. therefore, here's a grown-ups guide:

if you dig camus, move on to sartre.

if you dig kerouac, move on to burroughs.

if you dig bukowski, move on to beckett.

if you dig hemingway, move on to faulkner.

really, if you want some reading that will grow with you, you gotta go for the old tales.... the bible, odyssey, ramayana, beowulf, and so forth. also, twain, swift, and melville will grow with you. all that sci-fi shit is wack, as timeless as an apple two plus.

yeah, i'm seventeen and i consider my reading level to pretty much reflect my age. thanks for the recommendations i'll definately check some of those out.

Archived