boiiyyyy you better speak dat english, this here is amurica rabble herpa derp...

Cymatics

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love diversity, and i agree, why not embrace it?

wouldn't it be great if tons of signs were multi-lingual? sure it's tourist friendly but i'd love to learn another language by proxy.i hate that people are too damn narrow-minded to appreciate that

i love diversity, and i agree, why not embrace it?

wouldn't it be great if tons of signs were multi-lingual? sure it's tourist friendly but i'd love to learn another language by proxy.i hate that people are too damn narrow-minded to appreciate that

Funny/snobby? that we expect EVERYONE to speak English!! I had to study a foreign language (Spanish) in JHS, HS, college...still can't have a real bilingual conversation, unless I've had some champagne...for some reason, it really helps. I think in Sweden, people can speak like 4/5 languages. A lotta Europeans speak French...but in France, they pin you right away as"Non-French".

I wish I could've learned Japanese growing up. There weren't many Japanese people in NY back then...now my Dad pretty much forgot everything. My cousins in Hawaii all speak it though.

Well, it (Spanish) did get me my 1st teaching position...at Erasmus Hall...the principal asked me 3 questions in "Espanol", I got 2 wrong & he hired me to start the next day...go figure. Crazy teaching a foreign language you DON'T speak...actually, I was OK with level 1. But level 3??? Horrible. The students felt sorry for me, struggling. Some kids just got to BK from PR...wow. They'd just look at me, like: Que??? I tried my best...the class bought me a xmas gift for being so pathetic!!!

People seem to feel threatened by ESL...guess the lousy economy makes some (OK, "WhItE" folks) fearful, suspicious & angry with newly arrived "invaders"...such a joke!!!

Immigrants are what this country is about.

Sometimes, I just don't know...

A lot of immigrants to the U.S. used to be taught to speak English outside of the home . It was considered disrespectful to speak your native tongue in public while living in another country.

Would you move to Germany and expect the Germans to understand your English? I know most speak English, but not all. What about China? Would you expect them to bend to you?

It's common courtesy to learn to speak the native tongue of the country you reside in. If you want to learn a new language, good for you.

• Like 2

It is something that is particular to the English language, I know when people from the UK go to Spain or France they expect people to know english, very arrogant if you ask me.

I was taught French in school but I had the advantage that I used to go to France every year on holiday so got to practise it quite a bit, but I couldnt hold a conversation in it, I could get by ordering a room/food/beers etc.

My wife is German and is fluent in English, understands Farsi as well and knows some french as welll, I was always amazed at home much better schooling of language was on continental Europe compared to the UK.

But now I live in Wales and that is a bi-lingual contry al road signs are in English and Welsh, but it doesn't help learn the language because there seems like there is no rule to Welsh, just huge words with no vowels!!

well, the fact is [casek] lots of foreigners take the time to learn english

you can call it a cultural or respect issue

but for me it will always be about people's resistance to learn new things and lack of appreciation of diversity: ignorance.

nope. (maybe in public school but not private, and of course home schooling has almost no 'requirements' or oversight).. that's why i'm saying that shit.

we live in a multi-cultural world, and we have no problem invading a country haha but god fucking forbid we should learn about it.

i love that line in Full Metal Jacket .. something like "i joined the Marines so i could travel to foreign lands, meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture .. and kill them."

Yes, foreign language study is a requirement in public school curriculum today. It's more about the grammar & verb tenses than true speaking the tongue.

I'm pretty sure English is studied elsewhere (outta the US) by most university-bound students. Hell, maybe high school students too. The almighty dollar $$$ speaks English.

A new law just passed today in South Carolina. It's a "profiling" immigrants bullshit law too...now law enforcement, can stop someone on a minor traffic offense & check their immigration status. You can legally be harassed & deported because you look like "them". Anyone who hires an illegal "alien" can also be prosecuted.

If the misinformed sheep that seem to be proliferating lately, think that our quality of life could continue without under-the-table "cooly" wages paid to non-english speaking workers...be real.

Even the filthy rich here (US) hire foreign nationals as nanny's for their kids. It's slave labor. But best believe, these immigrants' kids will become professionals. These parents kill themselves for the sake of their childrens' future. The Chinese laundry guy by me was a biology professor in China. He prob works 80-100 hrs a week. Learning language is way hard for adults. After the age of 7, our ability to assimilate language dissipates. Children can easily become bilingual while their parents may never.

M'lord_casek..not sure what irked you so much.

nope. that's why i'm saying that shit.

we live in a multi-cultural world, and we have no problem invading a country haha but god fucking forbid we should learn about it.

It became a major problem, especially around 9/11 that there were very few interpreters who spoke different Arabic dialects. We, the CIA, NSA...had tons of "chatter" & no one to read it!!!

That is plain ridiculous. Twisted. These idiots "intelligence". Fantastic.

i love that line in Full Metal Jacket .. something like "i joined the Marines so i could travel to foreign lands, meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture .. and kill them."

That film stuck with me too. Truly, I cannot watch war movies. The few I have, haunt me.

It's possible to criticize your country's policies & still be a true citizen. It's our duty not to be complacent.

The long arm of the law is gettin mighty stretched out...;) xxx

well, the fact is [casek] lots of foreigners take the time to learn english

you can call it a cultural or respect issue

but for me it will always be about people's resistance to learn new things and lack of appreciation of diversity: ignorance.

Yes, a lot do take the time to learn the language and that is great. A lot don't, though. I see them all of the time. Surprisingly, most are Mexican. Standing in line behind them at stores, they can't even communicate with the cashier and don't put much effort forward to do so.

This is funny because I live around a lot of Japanese people. Not "Japanese Americans", "I'm going back to Japan as soon as I'm done here" Japanese. They speak perfect English and you never hear them speaking Japanese in public while I'm sure they use their native tongue exclusively at home.

It may seem ignorant to you but a lot of people don't ever leave the country and don't feel the necessity to learn a foreign language. To me, this is what it is. Neither good nor bad.

If you are going to live in a country then you really should learn the language, in my last job I would have to deal with so many people on the phone that could barely speak english and it is really frustrating, then again I don't know their particular circumstances, if they are refugees then they may not have had the time to learn english before fleeing their country.

But if you live somewhere by choice then you should really learn the language, I really need to learn German as my wife is fluent and it opens more options for where to live.

Having a second language is an important thing, even if you aren't planing on travelling. Spanish is a huge language in America andd it should be mandatory to at least have some second language knowledge, just to free up that aspect of understanding language and giving students the chance to maybe experience something they really enjoy. Maybe it would encourage more travel.

If you are going to live in a country then you really should learn the language, in my last job I would have to deal with so many people on the phone that could barely speak english and it is really frustrating, then again I don't know their particular circumstances, if they are refugees then they may not have had the time to learn english before fleeing their country.

But if you live somewhere by choice then you should really learn the language, I really need to learn German as my wife is fluent and it opens more options for where to live.

Having a second language is an important thing, even if you aren't planing on travelling. Spanish is a huge language in America andd it should be mandatory to at least have some second language knowledge, just to free up that aspect of understanding language and giving students the chance to maybe experience something they really enjoy. Maybe it would encourage more travel.

You're right. If we're expected to learn Spanish they should be expected to learn English.

It would definitely open more doors for them, no question in my mind about that.

I used to know some Mexicans that worked for a local restaurant in a college town I lived in. The story from one of the English speaking guys was that they would go down and get some friends/family on a work visa, come back up and they would work until their visa's expired, then back down to Mexico to trade for some others that had fresh work Visa's.

The people coming up wouldn't even bother to learn more than a few words. Wtf?

You're right. If we're expected to learn Spanish they should be expected to learn English.

It would definitely open more doors for them, no question in my mind about that.

I used to know some Mexicans that worked for a local restaurant in a college town I lived in. The story from one of the English speaking guys was that they would go down and get some friends/family on a work visa, come back up and they would work until their visa's expired, then back down to Mexico to trade for some others that had fresh work Visa's.

The people coming up wouldn't even bother to learn more than a few words. Wtf?

Perplexed.

Why so much animosity toward Mexican and/or other Spanish speaking people? Have you considered the probability that they may not be literate in their own language, making it impossible to read English? Their children are almost always bi-lingual within a short period of time.

I am 1/2 Japanese. After being asked: "What are you?" Then it's: "Oh, how interesting...do you speak Japanese?" So sick of this. No one asks Italian, Irish et al if they speak a foreign language. A few years back, I met Kip Fulbeck, author of "100% HAPA"...the word is a Hawaiian term for half. His photo/portraits of multi-ethnic-Asian people include a statement from each person. It was exhilarating to feel part of a community for ONCE.

Why this lack of acceptance, anger?

Perplexed.

Why so much animosity toward Mexican and/or other Spanish speaking people? Have you considered the probability that they may not be literate in their own language, making it impossible to read English? Their children are almost always bi-lingual within a short period of time.

I am 1/2 Japanese. After being asked: "What are you?" Then it's: "Oh, how interesting...do you speak Japanese?" So sick of this. No one asks Italian, Irish et al if they speak a foreign language. A few years back, I met Kip Fulbeck, author of "100% HAPA"...the word is a Hawaiian term for half. His photo/portraits of multi-ethnic-Asian people include a statement from each person. It was exhilarating to feel part of a community for ONCE.

Why this lack of acceptance, anger?

No animosity.

Never have I seen a nation where the immigrants to that country expect everyone in that country to bend to them.

Think about that for a minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ6cCPbA8jo&playnext=1&list=PL484623408B04A401

I don't hate people for their race. I hate them for their attitude towards my country.

No animosity.

Never have I seen a nation where the immigrants to that country expect everyone in that country to bend to them.

Think about that for a minute.

I don't hate people for their race. I hate them for their attitude towards my country.

Haha...I just hate MOST humans!!! Prefer the company of 4-legged furry critters with whiskers. Communication without language can be a relief at times!!! Seriously.

Also seriously:

Do you feel threatened by those willing to do the work Americans seem to feel is beneath them? Don't you or wouldn't you want your children to have opportunities for a better life? Public assistance is chosen by our citizens over picking produce in the blazing heat, back-breaking physical labor with no union benefits...

I wonder if you have a dog...

lord_casek...I'm glad this isn't a "Preaching to the Choir" site...&...unless you're a Native American, or maybe a viking, you must have relatives that emigrated to the US seeking a better life. Were they already English speaking?

You don't have to answer that, not invading anyone's privacy...still perplexed.

My grandparents' immigration histories happened to be polar opposites. Sadly a breeding ground for discrimination...

we SHOULD ALL actually be speaking in some indian language, or should i say native american language??

Really not trying to be Lt. "PC"...Being the rookie here, trying to express my views & keep my foot outta my mouth...

Using "Native American"...Just trying to distinguish/specify between cultures, location, etc. & show respect.

I just think having a second language is good, especially as English doesnt have sex to it's structure, other languages have a masculine and feminine and I can never get my head around stuff like that.

I just find language interesting, would be cool to know many languages, anyway they should be teaching kids Indian or Chinese dialects in school as these are the coming up economies.

...anyway they should be teaching kids Indian or Chinese dialects in school as these are the coming up economies.

The LAST thing Americans want to hear...

I happen to agree, change is inevitable, not easily acceptable...empires at the top eventually fall/relinquish their position...many for the same reasons...

lord_casek...I'm glad this isn't a "Preaching to the Choir" site...&...unless you're a Native American, or maybe a viking, you must have relatives that emigrated to the US seeking a better life. Were they already English speaking?

You don't have to answer that, not invading anyone's privacy...still perplexed.

My grandparents' immigration histories happened to be polar opposites. Sadly a breeding ground for discrimination...

Indeed. I'm glad we've gotten rid of the people who would come in here and "fuck this shit I believe so and so and so should you!!!!" for the most part. It's pretty adult in here.

I'm mixed. I have both Native American in me as well as German, Lebanese, Italian, Swede, and Scott. In other words, I'm a mutt.

I'm not sure if the German side learned to speak English in Germany or over here, but they did speak it fluently.

Yes, I have a dog. I count him as a non human friend.

Do I feel threatened by Hispanics? No. I'm a little disturbed by their unwillingness to speak our language and some of the things I've heard them say in Spanish towards other Americans, but realistically I doubt all immigrants feel the way the few I've heard speak that way.

I want you to understand that I don't go around thinking or saying racist things towards them or other races. Part of me is actually a little jealous of the Hispanic community. They have what we once had with tight knit communities and families. I don't hate them because of this. I just don't like their unwillingness to at least try to learn our language.

I just think having a second language is good, especially as English doesnt have sex to it's structure, other languages have a masculine and feminine and I can never get my head around stuff like that.

I just find language interesting, would be cool to know many languages, anyway they should be teaching kids Indian or Chinese dialects in school as these are the coming up economies.

When I took French in junior high school I was impressed by this. Also took a year of Spanish and was amazed when the French helped me out because of the relationship of all the Romance Languages.

I have to admit I always see a lot closer knit communities where English is not a first language, where my wife is from in Germany they are very close knit as are places in France that I have visited.

Maybe by having a language that isn't one of the most common languages in the world helps them keep a sense of identity.

When I took French in junior high school I was impressed by this. Also took a year of Spanish and was amazed when the French helped me out because of the relationship of all the Romance Languages.

I agree, I learnt French at school and it certainly helped me when trying to understand German.

I try to be sensitive to this shit but I kind of have to agree with the redneck Senator here.

How you going to live here that long and not be able to speak English, then try to address the government like no one would notice.

I'm sure dude is cool and all, I know learning another language sucks but damn dude, you can't expect your lack of initiative to go unnoticed.

I mean it's all good if immigrants would rather limit their options than learn English, that's not the point, dude was addressing State Senators.

I don't think people should have to bend over backwards to not mention the Non English Speaking Elephant in the room.

That shit sucks to listen to and time consuming, I can see how that would be annoying.

I try to be sensitive to this shit but I kind of have to agree with the redneck Senator here.

Never agreed with any REDNECK about anything, which is how I wanna keep it!!!

How you going to live here that long and not be able to speak English,

I don't think people should have to bend over backwards to not mention the Non English Speaking Elephant in the room.

That shit sucks to listen to and time consuming, I can see how that would be annoying.

THAT is c-o-l-d...just sayin'...

(here's some bad French:) "Eau contraire mon ami"...I find most gov't officials intensely annoying.

Nothing wrong with rednecks. It's the racist rednecks that give 'em a bad name.

I've had some weird exchanges with rednecks throughout my life. Not weird in the

messed up sense, weird in the "where the hell did that come from?" exchanges.

Most recently an exchange about the Federal Reserve with someone who had a drawl

that would've made you think "this dude is a dumbfuck" in any other case.

Point is, don't let the accent fool you. There are some philosophers and scholars

in the mountains much more wise than any Harvard educated douche I've come in

contact with.