bluegrass is the shit (i feel like a redneck)

dosoner

so im listing to the one local radio station we have, and they are playing alot of bluegrass tonight, and im kinda into it. but its got me feelin like a redneck, and makes me think of hopin a ride crossed country lookin out of a box car door.

johnson mountain boys - our last goodbye

Waylon Jennings, Mel Tillis, Bobby Bare & Jerry Reed - East Bound and Down

hell yea

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Pilau Hands

there's this station here that plays bluegrass one night every week i think..

i heard this song "joliet bound" and it was fantastic...haven't been able to find it since though

I wanted to be the first to mention Doc Watson... damn... but I'll be the one to say that he's been blind since he was a very little boy (infancy if my memory serves)... truly gifted. An American treasure.

His son Merle was on the path to be a hero too, but he died early...

For a truly cool take on bluegrass, check out Run C&W (yes, it's a take off Run DMC)... cool old motown treated nicely...

here gors a review or something I found...

As you might guess, Run C&W is a novelty country project, but it has nothing to do with the rap group its name comes from; instead, group members Crashen Burns, Wash Burns, Side Burns, and Rug Burns transform vintage soul classics into bluegrass-style twang. Of course, the Burns Brothers are fictional creations; the group is actually composed of ex-Eagle Bernie Leadon on banjo, ex-Amazing Rhythm Ace Russell Smith on lead vocals, and Nashville songwriting pros Vince Melamed and Jim Photoglo on various instruments. The group debuted for MCA in 1993 with Into the Twangy-First Century, concentrating mostly on humorous rearrangements but also offering the occasional parody, original song, and jokey lyrical aside. Row vs. Wade followed in 1995, after which the group went their separate ways. ~ Steve Huey, All Music Guide

*also, I have a posthumous CD of Stevie Goodman stuff called 'No Biig Suprise" that features Jethro Burns (not a joke and no relation to the Run C&W 'Burns')... who, as Steve says is probably the best mandolin player alive today (though I'm not sure if he's still alive today)...

Stevie died from cancer a ways back, but he was a super gifted songwriter and a great musician... the songs with Jethro just fucking ooze fat bluegrass styles, especially for 2 guys from Urbana Illinois...

And another thing... nothing wrong with country... nothing wrong with music.

Accept it and you'll be a better person.

Archived