Blackout pages 1-13

sabe2005

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

dumy:

I think the story when it's all together will be more solid, but I agree on certain parts.

POIESIS:

I would hope this is better then my sketch in paper section, after all that sketch took 20 mins, and it was just to mess around, this comic is an actual job which I work with a writter on, and takes anywhere from a week to 3 weeks per page.

Mr. ABC:

Well you know what you like, and I'm glad you like it. :)

HIDING BEHIND A SCREEN--

Considering that I do all the art, Thx!

As for the story, it's going to heat up, it's a slow rider, one of those graphic novel ideas. But I do have to agree somewhat, here and there it's builds very slow plot-wise. Things are speeding up though.

dear sasZ:

Man I wish I did have a complete story. But it's not done yet.

I have another comic along the lines of this style that is all my story and everything. But I'm only four pro pages into it. When I finish some photoshop work I'll post it.

As for the email, I'm re-doing all these pages, re-scanning and type in Photoshop because I noticed some are fuzzy, I can't stand it so I'm using what I've learned about scanning and PS to change it. So i will send you those through the e-mail.

Oh BTW: Thanks for the comments. Soon I will be not a starving student/artist freelancer and simply a working starving artist. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I can't go an edit so I have to reply this. I re-scanned and re-photoshopped all the pages. This is how it will show up on print. This also is the last time I'll subject this thread to more re-posts of minor changes. Major to me but, that's me.

8tX21420.gif

Y4U21561.gif

e1s21585.gif

VYH21607.gif

Rzq21626.gif

tti21646.gif

lMv21668.gif

Quo21701.gif

CFe21722.gif

7pO21742.gif

YwN21759.gif

r6221779.gif

zsp21809.gif

heres my critique.

i think your characters are all really stiff. also.. i think you need to look at a book like "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud if you havent already. Your panel to panel and overall page layouts dont flow well and are clunky.

for something to reference for pacing ... i look at "Ronin" by Frank Miller, "Lone Wolf and Cub" and Jean Giruard Moebius' "Blueberry". for examples of how to carry time and action sequentially.

I think its a strong effort. Its always a big step to even try to make a comic. so i commend you for trying.. Im sure your next series will be exponentially better.

good luck.

-al

Hey, first off, thx for taking the time to respond.

I must reply to the character style part. In each comic or situation calls for a certain approach. It will become apparent in the next two pages that these characters are robots. Along the lines of Ghost in the Shell. So they are "cluncky" or sharp to show this in a subtle way which will become obvious soon. I wanted to almost hide the fact that they are not human so people would grasp onto the larger part of the story before the details.

As for pacing, I agree on many pages, I jump too much from one moment ot the next. That's the main thing I want to keep pushing and expereimenting with. You're right though, that's probably my weakest point. But to be honest I thought ronin was some of Millers weakest books artwise. The layouts were pretty static to me. And he didn't seem to make the experiment in styles mend together very well.

Again, thx, You observations and everyones help me push myself to better anything I'm working on,

I think it's fucking great! I love how the layout is less traditional and somewhat less 'organized'; I think the black and white is a must-keep feature, and I'm a fan of the characters - again, I think a less traditional approach to a comic is a fresh idea!

Post more!

• 1 month later...

I like what you did with the wooden covered bridge , how the two panels are broken up , but are part of the same image.

You should do that more, and try doing it without the shapes necissarily being squares. Like the actual panel could form into something ans sort of tie in with the plot in a subliminal way,

Just a suggestion, But I think , It is dope. well done

Thx!

I wish I was done with the story though. I want to see it published instead of posting page by page.... I will not stop until I see that happen!!!

For everyone who has checked this out. I was wondering what do you think if I did a little ink wash for general shadows instead of pure black or white. Should I do it for the remaining pages? Like the action changes the look? Or would that distract from the overall look to Blackout? These are some questions I've been asking myself. Here is an example of what figure might look like with the wash:

T0_-1_687252.gif

The story looks really good, but some of the links were broken...

^The above is a good look, by the way...I haven't seen the original, though. If you were aiming for a unified visual theme, I guess it would be jarring to do an ink washed character...but, is that always a bad thing? Watch "Sin City" or "Rumble Fish" and check out how color can be used in a black and white movie for dramatic effect. I think that a similar idea applies here, as well.

• 2 weeks later...