blackbook question (not flix)

Guest SilpherGirl

Guest SilpherGirl

sorry for posting on the other thread. i just wanna know which blackbook u guys think are the best kind (or the one u use)? do u recommend hardbound ones or wirebound or refillables? i wanna know the upsides and downsides of the different kinds... where are some places i can buy them cheaper other than michaels? thx guys.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest --zeSto--

just get something durable... you'll be keeping some very precious stuff inside.

personally... hard cover, spiral bound, medium size, black cover... white Apple logo sticker on front.

just as a note... while you're still learning the basics.. get a huge black book

and fill every since inch of blank paper space. Dont erase, just start fresh. Like speed chess...

what you do is get one of the smaller blackbooks, take the scanner sticker off it and put it on the big......get it for like 3 buckets..... this works best in like book store and nonart stores.......thats only if you don't wanna rack them also......................................................

Guest SilpherGirl

i'm quite surprised by how many of u said u prefer wire bound ones! becos so far 90% of all the blackbook flix i've seen on the net are hard bound ones.... just went to michaels today, they only carry strathmore and canson blackbooks. the strathmore ones are much thinner tho... only 60 lbs paper thickness. will the markers bleed thru? cos the cansons are 80 lbs but they're much more expensive..

Guest -sudz-

who cares, if you think it'll bleed, throw an extra sheet of scrap paper under your sketch, so it bleeds onto that page, and not the next page in your book.

Guest CountRockula

fuck a pretty ass black book. i rock a mead sketch diary. who gives a fuck about what it looks like, worry about your sketches or whatever.

Guest -sudz-

o yeah, also, i prefer the hardcovers, the (first and ) last spiral bound i got bent and the covers came off and the pages came out, it was not fun.

Guest --zeSto--

this is why I like the ring bound books...

You can easily remove the pages!

Without messing with the spine or messing the opposite page.

It's usefull if you take a sketch with you while painting, or give it away,

or what ever you want to do with it.

i rock in the canson books...markers will bleed thru anything if they are juicy so just use a bleed sheet...and i prefer the unspiraled books because although the crease makes it difficult at first...once you get the hang of it its much better because spirals separate in the middle and if you plan on doing a two pager like i love doing...well the unspiraled books do not separate...so in my opinion i would go with the canson unspiraled medium black book:D

Guest HOST18 DYM
Originally posted by crso

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/crso/sketch5.jpg'>

canson hardbound sketch books are the best. i don't like the wire bound ones, the corners bend pretty easy.

Crso is right. These are the Best and are the books that most writers use. Spiral bound books suck in my opinion, the pages can easily be ripped out partially or completely by accident. If you need to remove a page from a hardbound book then you grab a razor blade (Has everyone forgotten that these exist?). If you concerned about bleeding, then use a piece of scrap paper as a bleeder page just as most of the people here suggested. Check out the training Bible thread, now thats the good stuff!

I must be really bored.

Guest SilpherGirl
Originally posted by BdMiK

Montana Blackbooks are the best!!!

thx guys for ur replies. ..but wat does a montana blackbook look like? never seen them

YO GIRL , it doesnt even matter , at all . go to fuckin wal mart , seriously , and buy a medium sized one thats like 10 bucks . it will work absolutely fine . serious . especially for someone whose just starting out . you can fill it up quick with whatever and not worry about putting only quality work in a $60 book .

Guest SilpherGirl
Originally posted by TrustUGN

if you have a Waldon Books near you... they have some pretty good sketchbooks there. thats where i get mine. plus, if your all about having a pretty book.. they have multicolors. mine is currently true blue. in case you were wondering...

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/trustugn/bbfrontback.jpg'>

whoa that's a dope looking sketch book~! stickers... mmm.... no waldon books around me tho.......................... man........ :mad: the michaels in my area is weird.. they got canson blackbooks in the big size and the tiny size. but they dun stock no fucking medium size!!! and i got 50% off coupon and it's a waste now i thought they'd have medium sized ones and i'd get half off discount...~ they dun really have anything in the michaels near me~ o well..

my 50 cents

i usually get my son`s black books from pearl paint in nyc, he goes thru them like water (pokemon phreak and draws them like web one kaos does outlines...fast)...they`re the cachet brand 1.800.322.2438, i use the same ones also, really good paper absorb the colors nicely and your artwork should last about 5 - 20 years with minumum fading, depending on what medium u use and it does matter what you use, i stay at the 8.5 x 11 joint cause they don`t drain your markers as much and allow you to move around the page quicker for easier fading, if your goin to the wall get a wire bound joint for outside activity, like it was said b4 you can fold it back and do your thang...but that cover will desinergrate(don`t know if i spelt that correctly) but use that for ur outside book, your indoor bible should be hardbound, tho they are a bitch to work but with a lil imagination you can conquer that, i use the giant black clamps for holding the book open, but if i`m doing a spread i`ll get an oversize piece of paper with 2 sided tape to protect the paper from over spray of the airbrush....take this into account my second blackbook(really wack in my eyes) and third(evolution into style) completely filled were sold to private investors for $3,000, web one kaos whos done complete COVER TO COVER 12 books over his 20 odd years career sold his books for a hefty amount to a private investor, tkid had cats from germany sending books to do at $1,000 to $5,000 a pop, so yes it does matter because if your work is just starting in about 5 years who knows where this artform is goin and who knows whom may make you an offer you can`t refuse because there are people who love this art form but only want to collect....my bad for the endless chatter...roler one tm7

YUP, it truly DOES matter. I make sure that my books have "Archival"(or "acid-free") paper. I have seen many good books yellow and deteriorate over the years, and if your stuff ever becomes collectable like Big Roler's has, acidic pages or tape on them will seriously devalue your work. The first writer I heard talk about longevity of acid-free paper was Dondi (R.I.P.), whose works on paper are now highly collectable. Dude was on TOP of his game and ahead of his time.

Originally posted by crso

go with the big size . because they are not much bigger than the 8.5 or 9 by 11. plus you can do your whole piece with out going to the edges.

yeah, but this one goes up to 11.

? As the Cantonese say: mo lai to- "makes no sense." you can do your whole piece on a passenger train, a handball court, 8.5x11 paper, 4x5 notecard (shit look at the watercolors Frank Frazetta did on notecards) or the back of a matchbook if you just scale it to fit.

Guest learn

i dunno about u but i like using thick ass papers... some prefer thinner paper so the markers can soak thru the page and look better than a thick one which doesn't allow the marker to soak thru. stick with canson they're great paper. i have a hardbound canson 80 lbs. (hard decision over wire bound) and i still find then a bit thin for marker work. but still it works great. so i can't imagine how much 60 lbs bleeds..... :mad: and i dun think that any other blackbooks go up more than 80 lbs i've seen... (or do they?). and another thing is i dun like free doodling in my blackbook that's a waste of paper (yes i'm cheap haha) and it makes ur book look bad if the doodle is ugly...

PS. after how many years of writing did u guys start sketching in a blackbook?

Originally posted by SilpherGirl

sorry for posting on the other thread. i just wanna know which blackbook u guys think are the best kind (or the one u use)? do u recommend hardbound ones or wirebound or refillables? i wanna know the upsides and downsides of the different kinds... where are some places i can buy them cheaper other than michaels? thx guys.

BUY? just rack some

Archived