** BLACK HISTORY MONTH **

Guest KING BLING

Guest KING BLING

SOOOO, why not?

Garrett Augustus Morgan - Son of slaves, inventor of the traffic light AND the gas mask.

Malcom X - Strong, articulate and wise. Though his life was a process of growth and development, he learned from his mistakes, stood by his convictions, and died because of them. His autobiography remains the best book I have ever read after years of constant reading.

Dead Prez - Good entertainers, articulate and informed. Often misunderstood by people who actually share in there disdain for the "establishment" (though often these naysayers otherwise are apathetic about current conditions). They contrast both the voice of a majority of black youth and the revolutionary (and still relevant) ideas from decades before.

You have a few to add? You hate the idea of the month? You hate my list? Let it all out...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

last time i checked, dead prez were self serving (and self defeating), racist, musical hacks who's whole career stems from one beat.

but maybe i'm wrong.

maybe blaming 'whitey' for the ills of the world is somehow helping black people, even though 'whitey' fucks over 'whitey' just as much as he does 'darkie'.

in any event.

we should not need black history month. the fact that we do is symptomatic of how fucked up our society is. creating 'black history month' is putting a band aid on a bullet wound. fix our racist society, dont tell me about gorge washington carver again. i dont care.

seeks/blood in my eye

Originally posted by seeking

last time i checked, dead prez were self serving (and self defeating), racist, musical hacks who's whole career stems from one beat.

but maybe i'm wrong.

maybe blaming 'whitey' for the ills of the world is somehow helping black people, even though 'whitey' fucks over 'whitey' just as much as he does 'darkie'.

in any event.

we should not need black history month. the fact that we do is symptomatic of how fucked up our society is. creating 'black history month' is putting a band aid on a bullet wound. fix our racist society, dont tell me about gorge washington carver again. i dont care.

WORD.

Guest KING BLING

WHY WE CELEBRATE

Seeking...

I won't disagree because you have valid reasons. Black history should be understood in terms of all history, we should learn about blacks the way we do anything else - race SHOULDN't be relevant.

Why we have the month (via google)....

We owe the celebration of Black History Month, and more importantly, the study of black history, to Dr. Carter G. Woodson. He spent his childhood working in the Kentucky coal mines and enrolled in high school at age twenty. He graduated within two years and later went on to earn a Ph.D. from Harvard.

In 1926, he launched Negro History Week as an initiative to bring national attention to the contributions of black people throughout American history.

Woodson chose the second week of February for Negro History Week because it marks the birthdays of two men who greatly influenced the black American population, Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln. However, February has much more than Douglass and Lincoln to show for its significance in black American history. For example:

February 23, 1868:

W. E. B. DuBois, important civil rights leader and co-founder of the NAACP, was born.

February 3, 1870:

The 15th Amendment was passed, granting blacks the right to vote.

February 25, 1870:

The first black U.S. senator, Hiram R. Revels (1822-1901), took his oath of office.

February 12, 1909:

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) was founded by a group of concerned black and white citizens in New York City.

February 1, 1960:

In what would become a civil-rights movement milestone, a group of black Greensboro, N.C., college students began a sit-in at a segregated Woolworth's lunch counter.

February 21, 1965:

Malcolm X, the militant leader who promoted Black Nationalism, was shot to death by three Black Muslims.

It is a short cold month, but maybe that's appropriate.

Originally posted by Telo

What about a white history month?

The funny thing is, every month is white history month. I noticed that when i was in highschool learning things here and there that no black people were ever mentioned until February like it was all a big secret plan to honor black people and they didnt want to let the cat out of the bag. Then when black history month is over, it's right back to george washington.

What a strange way of teaching things.

Originally posted by mr.yuck

The funny thing is, every month is white history month. I noticed that when i was in highschool learning things here and there that no black people were ever mentioned until February like it was all a big secret plan to honor black people and they didnt want to let the cat out of the bag. Then when black history month is over, it's right back to george washington.

fuck that every month is white history month bullshit, it just seems that way because black people aint really do that much shit but invent peanut butter, besides if its not like the traffic light or gas mask would never have been invented if this dude didnt do it, you cant argue with that

From what I have learned in the past few week is this.

Black people in the hood learn about "parks,king,X, underground railroad" 24/7.... And this black chick came up to me one day while i was having some argument on whether or not Kennedy was shot from wherever. This girl started complaining about the urban schools like non-other. She hated her teachers and prinicpiles for being black and teaching nothing but black shit. While in the burbs highschools were completely different and learned about everything.

everything being blacks, whites, asian, islander, european, hispanic, etc etc..

I had never thought about it but almost every project she did in highschool as well as the other students, was about black history..

It was weird cause i had always grown up in the city but went to a suburban school, and i had never really caught on to this.

I dont know. I have been to a mix of all different types of schools from catholic schools to township schools to public schools. I just never even knew that black people did anything until February rolled around. Its like if there was a black person that had something to do with an event, it was just skipped over and saved until February, throwing the whole time line of things off.

I dont know. I have been to a mix of all different types of schools from catholic schools to township schools to public schools. I just never even knew that black people did anything until February rolled around. Its like if there was a black person that had something to do with an event, it was just skipped over and saved until February, throwing the whole time line of things off.

well all the history lessons were thrown together to make it an equal learning oppurtunity for all in my high school..... when in fact, that was as far from the truth as a black dude walking down the middle of a street in butt-fuck tennesse.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by Daze One Million

fuck that every month is white history month bullshit, it just seems that way because black people aint really do that much shit but invent peanut butter, besides if its not like the traffic light or gas mask would never have been invented if this dude didnt do it, you cant argue with that

You might just be instigating but...

*To discredit the idea that a man should be recognized for his accomplishments negates the rest of your argument. Of course all things (mind you especially in retrospect) could have been invented, discovered or studied but this does not take away credit from the person who had the novelty and intelligence to understand and create the thing in a world without them. This goes for all races.

*George Washington Carver was WAY beyond his time. He studied peanuts, pecans and more in a way that rivals modern alternative/ sustainable farming techniques and modern science. The reason he studied peanuts was because he developed a process in which cotton farmers could sustain a rich soil. He was concerned for black share croppers and the like of his time, these were very relevant issues. It involved planting peanuts in a rotation with other crops to reinforce the soil. Than he realized that the excess of peanuts could be more than just cattle feed. Read this just to understand

Guest BOSTONIAN

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

I PERSONALLY THINK BLACK HISTORY MONTH IS A CROCK OF BULLSHIT. SOME PESIDENT WANTED TO GET RE ELECTED AND WANTED TO HAVE ALL THE BLACK VOTES IN THE BAG. IF EVERYONE IS CREATED EQUAL AND FREE TO DO WHAT THEY PLEASE THEN WHY IS EVERYTHING IN THIS COUNTRY SEPERATED BY RACE AND FINACIAL STATUS. THE HIGHEST CRIME RATE IN THIS COUNTRY IS COMMITED BY BLACKS AND THE BLACK ON BLACK CRIME IS ALSO A MAJOR FACTOR IN VIOLENT CRIME.

I AM NOT A RACIST PERSON. AT LEAST NOT ALL THE TIME BUT HERES A COUPLE THINGS I AM CURIOS ABOUT, MAYBE SOMEONE CAN SHED SOME LIGHT.

1. WHY DO BLACKS STILL COMPLAIN ABOUT SLAVERY?

I UNDERSTAND THATS A HORRIBLE THING TO DO TO SOME ONE BUT 95% OF THE TIME THEIR OWN KINGS SOLD OR TRADED THEM TO THE SLAVE TRADESMEN FOR GUNS , CHICKENS AND DOGS. ITS NOT LIKE THEY WERE TAKEN HOSTIGE.

2. WHY DO BLACK PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT LACK OF OPPERTUNITY FOR JOBS AND A CHANCE TO GET AHEAD IN LIFE WHEN THEY ARE 80% MORE LIKELY TO RECEIVE FINACIAL AID AND SCHOLARSHIPS FROM UNIVERSITIES AND COLLEGES THAN A MIDDLE CLASS WHITE PERSON?

ITS LIKE WHAT DO THEY WANT SOMEONE TO DO IT FOR THEM AND WHEN THEY FINISH GIVE THEM THE DIPLOMA AND SAY HAVE FUN?

THERES MORE BUT I DONT FEEL LIKE WASTING MY TIME TYPING THEM. I CANT WAIT TO SEE THE RESPONSE FOR WHAT IVE WRITTEN ALREADY...

OH YAH SIDE NOTE....WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL A FELLOW STUDENT ASKED MY HISTORY TEACHER. HOWCOME BLACK PEOPLE HAVE A HISTORY MONTH AND WHITE PEOPLE DONT..HE SIMPLY SAID EVERYDAY IS WHITE HISTORY DAY.

IT IS THE AGE OLD BATTLE.

Bostonman, while your first sentence sounds like it may lead to an interesting read, I refuse to read it, because its in all caps. I never noticed how much of a difference it makes. Interesting. Thank you for unintentionally pointing that out to me.

because black people aint really do that much shit but invent peanut butter

I know you didnt just shit on peanut butter. I know you didnt mean it. You couldnt have meant it, peanut butter's good, and George Washington Carver was that nigga.

The only beef I have with Black History Month is that it seems like I learn about the same people, and the same shit every year. I know there's more to it than peanut butter....and.......see what I mean?

This is fucking ignorant... there are so many things taken for granted that wouldn't be possible if not for blacks. There are entire books dedicated to black contributions and inventions....

Fuckin a this nation was built on the backs of blacks. Literally. This is an unmarked african american graveyard under the streets of new york shitty.

....duh...why isnt there a White Entertainment Television?

Oh. To anyone of the other 2 or 3 black people on this board...Do you remember watching tv with your parents when you were little, and anytime they'd mention a pretty good job, be it a doctor, police chief, or a judge, then they'd show the person. And he/she happened to be black. Your parents would yell, "A BLACK MAN!" in a really proud way, like he/she had accomplished something really big just for the black community. This thread reminded me of that.

and couple a weeks ago on tv they mentioned one of the top American surgeons, they showed his picture, he was black. I yelled, "Yeah! A black man!" Then I got really embarrassed.....

edit: Even more ridiculous, was when I found out one of the people who had a hand in creating my Algebra 2 book last year was black. His picture was in the book. I didnt say anything, but in my mind i said "and he's a black too, way to go!"....well not exactly, but something like that. Its funny, the weird things your parents do that rub off on you.

Guest Propaganda

HOLD UP!

Fuck color shit. The government is the only people to organize people by color. Pretty dumb. That is why everyone is the way they are today. It isn't teh color, the person inside. Don't let polictal views fool you.

Originally posted by Scrabble

....duh...why isnt there a White Entertainment Television?

Oh. To anyone of the other 2 or 3 black people on this board...Do you remember watching tv with your parents when you were little, and anytime they'd mention a pretty good job, be it a doctor, police chief, or a judge, then they'd show the person. And he/she happened to be black. Your parents would yell, "A BLACK MAN!" in a really proud way, like he/she had accomplished something really big just for the black community. This thread reminded me of that.

and couple a weeks ago on tv they mentioned one of the top American surgeons, they showed his picture, he was black. I yelled, "Yeah! A black man!" Then I got really embarrassed.....

edit: Even more ridiculous, was when I found out one of the people who had a hand in creating my Algebra 2 book last year was black. His picture was in the book. I didnt say anything, but in my mind i said "and he's a black too, way to go!"....well not exactly, but something like that. Its funny, the weird things your parents do that rub off on you.

hmmm..ya learn something everyday