BL4CKH4M

ModelCitizen

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
"BL4CK H4M refuses to be pinned down by any specific ideology or political affiliation. This doesn't mean the images don't mean anything. In fact, the opposite seems to be the case -- there is too much meaning, or too many possible meanings buzzing around those posters. "It's really whatever people want it to be," BL4CK H4M says. "It's useless to try and classify it. I just let people come up with their own conclusions and I'm fine with whatever they think, because it really doesn't matter. I hear tons of different things, and they are all right and at the same time all wrong. It's always been ambiguous, and that's for a reason. As long as they come to some conclusion, the job is done. Hate it, love it, whatever, there's no way to lose."

At its best, BL4CK H4M manages to say a lot with very little. The image of a G.I. Joe-type military figure above the words "Who's Your Daddy?" quickly and creepily summons the entire history of U.S. imperialism. Maybe the H4M stands for populist communication, as in "ham radio," and the BL4CK designates race. The name also sounds curiously similar to that of punk politicos Black Flag. But these words change meaning with different posters; "H4M" takes on a whole new set of connotations when it's attached to a poster of O.J. Simpson. And the range of meanings also varies in relation to the social environment. When thrown up over the numbing glow of a fast food drive-thru sign, BL4CK H4M is much more aggressive and obviously political than when it appears on a boarded-up storefront in an economically depressed neighborhood, where it shares space with other scratched and faded ads, peeling paint, and graffiti. In that circumstance, BL4CK H4M lurks in quiet dialogue with the signs idling around it."

- From Pulp, October '02.

Guest YinzerXpress
Originally posted by superunknown

favorite bl4ckh4m quote ever...

on a wheatpaste with this lesbien chick , giving a black power salute

"sike naw!"

best ever

Archived