Birthday parties have pagan roots

Dawood

Since I'm the grinch and I like to spoil all the fun, I figured I'd share this one with you too.

How Birthday Parties Began

This was a forwarded message that I thought was interesting. Showing the pagan roots of this practice........

How Birthday Parties Started Around the world, friends and relatives hold birthday parties, give gifts to the o­ne being honored, and wish "Happy birthday!" to the o­ne whose birthday is being celebrated. But why? Where did this universal custom originate?

The World Book -- Childcraft International says regarding "Holidays and Birthdays," "For thousands of years people all over the world have thought of a birthday as a very special day. Long ago, people believed that o­n a birthday a person could be helped by good spirits, or hurt by evil spirits. So, when a person had a birthday, friends and relatives gathered to protect him or her. And that's how birthday parties began."

"The idea of putting candles o­n birthday cakes goes back to ancient Greece. The Greeks worshipped many gods and goddesses. Among them was o­ne called Artemis." "Artemis was the goddess of the moon. The Greeks celebrated her birthday o­nce each month by bringing special cakes to her temple. The cakes were round like a full moon. And, because the moon glows with light, the cakes were decorated with lighted candles."

The Greeks believed that everyone had a protective spirit or demon who attended his birth and watched over him in life. This spirit had a mystic relation with the god o­n whose birthday the individual was born.

The Romans also subscribed to this idea. This notion was carried down in human belief and is reflected in the guardian angel, the fairy godmother and the patron saint. Birthday candles, in folk belief, are endowed with special magic for granting wishes. Lighted tapers and sacrificial fires have had a special mystic significance ever since man first set up altars to his gods. The birthday candles are thus an honor and tribute to the birthday child and bring good fortune.

This authority goes o­n: "More and more, though, people the world over attach a certain magic to their actual date of birth...We may wear a ring with our birthstone in it for good luck. And when we blow out the candles o­n our birthday cake, we are careful to keep what we wished a secret. If we tell, of course, our wish won't come true."

"In other words, Many times o­ne follows - THE OLD BIRTHDAY BELIEFS. o­ne pays attention to the meanings of old-time birth symbols and indulges in OLD CELEBRATIONS. o­ne does not take them seriously - mainly for fun.

Why do people say, "Happy birthday!" to each other? Says this authority, "For the good wishes of our friends and relatives are supposed to protect us from evil spirits."

Egyptians observed birthdays, but o­nly for their rulers. They held parades, circuses, gladiatorial contests, and sumptuous feasts! The Romans staged parades and chariot races to celebrate birthdays; some of which were created for their gods. Mere mortals were not honored or even remembered o­n the day of their birth.

The birthday cake is o­nly 200 years old! Cakes made from sweetened bread dough and coated with sugar, were the first birthday cakes and they originated in Germany.

It has been said that if the cake falls while baking, it is a sign of bad luck in the coming year. Coins, buttons, and rings were baked into cakes. The guest who receiving the slice with the coin was guaranteed riches in the future, the ring signified marriage.

In ancient times, people prayed over the flames of an open fire. They believed that the smoke carried their thoughts up to the gods. Today, the belief is, that if you blow out all your candles in o­ne breath, your wish will come true.

All these customs and traditions connected with the observance of birthdays have to do with guessing the future, good wishes for the future, good luck charms against evil spirits, and the like. All the birthday rituals, games, and ceremonies are a form of well-wishing toward the birthday child, which are supposed to work their magic in the year ahead. But, as we have seen, the custom is totally PAGAN!

The tradition of birthday parties started in Europe a long time ago. It was feared that evil spirits were particularly attracted to people o­n their birthdays. To protect them from harm, friends and family would to come to be with the birthday person and bring good thoughts and wishes. Gifts brought even more good cheer to ward off the evil spirits. This is how birthday parties began.

At first it was o­nly kings who were recognized as important enough to have a birthday celebration (maybe this is how the tradition of birthday crowns began?). As time went by, children became included in birthday celebrations. The first children's birthday parties occurred in Germany and were called Kinderfeste.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Paganism the oldest religion? I heard it predates all others (including yours). Maybe that's what he meant by "Everything dates back to Pagan times".

I'm sure you'll tell me that I'm wrong and Paganism is "evil" and your religion is the only "real" religion. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SF1@Aug 13 2005, 11:32 PM

Isn't Paganism the oldest religion? I heard it predates all others (including yours). Maybe that's what he meant by "Everything dates back to Pagan times".

I'm sure you'll tell me that I'm wrong and Paganism is "evil" and your religion is the only "real" religion. :rolleyes:

Paganism is essentially a non-Abrahamic religious practice, which doesn't necessarily ascribe a set of religous practices. Kind of a blanket term.

I wouldn't look to Daiwoo for knowledge.

Originally posted by Krakatau+Aug 14 2005, 01:49 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krakatau - Aug 14 2005, 01:49 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SF1@Aug 13 2005, 11:32 PM

Paganism is essentially a non-Abrahamic religious practice, which doesn't necessarily ascribe a set of religous practices. Kind of a blanket term.

[/b]

Well, take a look at Abrahamic religeons. Even the depiction of god stems from depictions of Zeuss. Funny how Christmas falls right around Winter Solstice as well, isn't it?

Originally posted by DiaperBaby+Aug 14 2005, 12:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiaperBaby - Aug 14 2005, 12:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Krakatau@Aug 14 2005, 01:49 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-SF1@Aug 13 2005, 11:32 PM

Well, take a look at Abrahamic religeons. Even the depiction of god stems from depictions of Zeuss. Funny how Christmas falls right around Winter Solstice as well, isn't it?

[/b]

I wouldn't call christianity an Abrahamic religion. Abraham was a muslim. (the word muslim means , one who submits to God) So what else could Abraham be?

Anyway, krakatu, That was a pretty good explanation of what a pagan religion is.

And I'm glad you wouldn't look to me for knowledge. I'm not a person to be looked to for knowledge.

I'm just some graffiti writer posting on 12 oz.

I wouldn't call christianity an Abrahamic religion. Abraham was a muslim. (the word muslim means , one who submits to God) So what else could Abraham be?

Anyway, krakatu, That was a pretty good explanation of what a pagan religion is.

And I'm glad you wouldn't look to me for knowledge. I'm not a person to be looked to for knowledge.

I'm just some graffiti writer posting on 12 oz.

Thanks. That's some nice circular reasoning you've displayed regarding Abraham.

Abrahamic = Jews, Muslims, Christians.

no. muslims dont beleive that Abrahamic = Jews , Muslims and christians because what the christians are Upon today is not the same religion that Jesus was on during his life,and the same with moses and the Jews.

Also , We beleive that the first man was a muslim. An upright worshipper of Allah. Not a pagan.

Abrahamic religion

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

An Abrahamic religion is described by some, for the purposes of comparative religion, as any religion derived from an ancient Semitic tradition, supposed to be traceable to Abraham, a great patriarch described in the Hebrew Bible, the New Testament, and the Qur'an. This group of largely monotheistic religions, in which many include Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, comprises about half of the world's religious adherents.

Jews see Abraham as the progenitor of the people of Israel, through his descendants Isaac and Jacob. Christians view Abraham as an important exemplar of faith, and an ancestor of Jesus, a Jew, through whom God promised to bless all the families of the earth. Muslims refer to Christians and Jews, among others, as fellow People of the Book ("the Book" symbolizes divine scripture, such as the Tanakh, New Testament, and Qur'an). They see Abraham (in the Arabic language, Ibrahim) as one of the most important of the many prophets sent by God. Thus Abraham represents for some, a point of commonality which they seek to emphasize by means of this terminology.

Apart from Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, a number of other religions in the Semitic tradition are often considered Abrahamic, sometimes including the Bahá'í Faith, Druze, Mandaeanism, Sikhism, or the Rastafari movement. What constitutes an Abrahamic religion can be controversial, as this is not a standardized classification, and the terminology is often used to imply continuity between divergent faiths, in a way that is offensive to some adherents of those faiths.

...Daiwoo seems to have a problem understanding that belief doesn't necessarilly dictate reality.

applewhite.jpg

Does it?

Originally posted by Krakatau@Aug 14 2005, 07:40 PM

...Daiwoo seems to have a problem understanding that belief doesn't necessarilly dictate reality.

applewhite.jpg

Does it?

I understand that belief doesn't necessarily dictate reality. Just not my beleif.(just to be clear.....My faith is 100% correct, although I may be wrong) So whatever is in line with the authentice texts of Islam, then that is what is free from error, but as for me , I am only correct according to the knowledge of Islam I possess) Also , I know that people refer to certain religions as being "Abrahamic" , Meaning that they stem from Arbraham in some way. But the point I am trying to make here is ...Do you think the christans of today follow the same religion and practices as Abraham? (peace be upon him)

And wow!... paganism has no negative connotation?

how about wiccan? witchcraft? , I know popular media and movies have glorified these things , but , they are obviously tapping into something that is supposed to be left alone.

Anyway, Many claim Abraham, but Abraham is free from those who change the books with their own hands and tell lies.

Originally posted by Dawood@Aug 15 2005, 02:26 PM

And wow!... paganism has no negative connotation?

how about wiccan? witchcraft? , I know popular media and movies have glorified these things , but , they are obviously tapping into something that is supposed to be left alone.

well when you fear the unknown and not mans history these things are just water under the bridge. Your religion said these things are to be left alone ... why would that apply to any of us beyond you.

You need to learn to seperate your views from being flawless and just accept them as flawless for yourself and realize others see things diffrent than you and thats OK. It dosent mean you are wrong, it just means your an open minded person thats accepts others regarless of a small diffrence of opinion.

And Allaah the Exalted said:

“Do they seek other than the religion of Allaah (the true Islaamic Monotheism worshipping none but Allaah Alone), while to Him submitted all creatures in the heavens and the earth, willingly or unwillingly. And to Him shall they all be returned.” - Aali Imraan (3):83