Bird Flu

skroez

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4295649.stm

Experts say it is no longer a case of if but when a pandemic of bird flu hits the human population.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) recently urged all countries to develop or update their influenza "pandemic preparedness plans" after experts estimated anywhere between two and 50 million people could die if a pandemic hits and the world is not prepared.

Pandemic threat

Even in the best-case scenario, two million to seven million people would die and tens of millions would require medical attention, WHO says.

Experts have used their knowledge about past pandemics, such as the 1918 Spanish flu outbreak.

DEEP....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by skroez@Feb 28 2005, 07:06 AM

Even in the best-case scenario, two million to seven million people would die and tens of millions would require medical attention,

typically in cases like this, it would be children and senior citizens that make up the majority of the deaths.

I know this is gonna sound harsh to some, but when I read stuff like this, natural population control sometimes comes to mind.

Heard somewhere this week that the virus is suspected of beginning to mutate as previously it could only be transferred from our feathered friends to us, but now there are cases where it appears to have been contracted from another human.

Wuh-oh.

Cam>>going shotgun shopping.

Originally posted by InfiniteWisdomOfThePezDispenser+Feb 28 2005, 10:58 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InfiniteWisdomOfThePezDispenser - Feb 28 2005, 10:58 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-skroez@Feb 28 2005, 07:06 AM

Even in the best-case scenario, two million to seven million people would die and tens of millions would require medical attention,

typically in cases like this, it would be children and senior citizens that make up the majority of the deaths.

I know this is gonna sound harsh to some, but when I read stuff like this, natural population control sometimes comes to mind.

[/b]

indeed it does sound harsh but.....you aren't the only one to think that way....look at how many people the tsunami's wiped out.....it's a natural balance of sorts

The 42-year-old construction materials salesman has just been released from Hanoi's Hospital for Tropical Diseases, where both he and his older brother were patients.

Hung is now back at home with his wife and children. But his brother Nguyen Hung Viet died from his illness.

Hung still does not know how they both contracted H5N1, the often deadly virus that causes the respiratory illness bid flu.

"I guess we both got it from the last meal we shared together," Hung said.

"I'd just got back to Thai Binh, where I'm originally from, to visit my brothers. They threw a welcoming dinner where we had our favourite dish, 'tiet canh', which is made with chopped congealed raw duck blood and herbs.

"The duck was plump and looking healthy, so we didn't have the slightest suspicion that it might be sick. Moreover, we were thinking chicken flu only exists in the south of the country," he said.

Just one day after the meal, Hung's eldest brother fell sick with a temperature.

But the family waited a whole week before they finally took him to hospital.

H5N1 BIRD FLU VIRUS

Principally an avian disease, first seen in humans in Hong Kong, 1997

Almost all human cases thought to be contracted from birds

Isolated cases of human-to-human transmission in Hong Kong and Vietnam, but none confirmed

Q&A: Bird flu

"It was New Year's Day. The hospital was running on minimal staffing and only got back to normal operating schedule three days afterwards. It was an unfortunate timing for him.

"At that point, my brother was already too weak. He couldn't breathe, his left lung was totally damaged.

"Yet the doctors didn't think he had bird flu, and his tests came back negative. So I didn't take any preventive measures while taking care of him. I spent days and nights next to his sick-bed, yet I didn't even bother with a mask," Hung said.

Hung's brother died on 10 January. Later on the same day, Hung developed a bad fever.

"I got really worried so the next day I went to a clinic where they took a scan of my lungs. The result came back not so good, and when I complained about difficulties in breathing they referred me to the same hospital where my brother was treated.

"In a way I was lucky that at that time, a number of people had died in the south of bird flu and the media was raising the alarm about this matter.

No wonder these people get bird flu. Raw ducks blood?

50 million dying!? holy shit thats like a million people in each state in the usa dying. damn, i really need a respirator. and how many people are visiting the US from thailand? this isnt to be racist or anything but if any of them had bird flu alot of people would be screwed, i remember during the SARs scare people in my city were scared to get on the bus with chinese people, it was sad but as soon as somebody coughed on that bus i swear i held my breath and got the hell out of there. i feel bad for the people on the bus they were probley offended by me doing that, but hey its you or them, and im a "ME" kind a guy.

Originally posted by GEEB@Mar 10 2005, 02:01 AM

50 million dying!? holy shit thats like a million people in each state in the usa dying. damn, i really need a respirator. and how many people are visiting the US from thailand?

If this happens it's going to be a lot more like 49,999,998 million in the asias and india dying and one 99 year old woman with AIDS and a canadian with terminal cancer dying of bird flu.

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle@Mar 7 2005, 02:00 PM

Fucking Asians......

...IS AWESOME!

but yeah, I'm learning about the avian flu in one of my classes. It's scary shit. Gnome Toys, that's not true. This shit will spread insanely if this flu strand genetically mutates and finds its way into the human population.

Or maybe it'll end up like the SARS "epidemic". Who knows...

Originally posted by mackfatsoe+Mar 12 2005, 06:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mackfatsoe - Mar 12 2005, 06:17 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dr. Dazzle@Mar 7 2005, 02:00 PM

Fucking Asians......

...IS AWESOME!

but yeah, I'm learning about the avian flu in one of my classes. It's scary shit. Gnome Toys, that's not true. This shit will spread insanely if this flu strand genetically mutates and finds its way into the human population.

Or maybe it'll end up like the SARS "epidemic". Who knows...

[/b]

It will spread and mutate, but for the countries with developed health care systems it will end up like SARS. Massive possible problems like this are often covered by media to distract attention from massive current ones.

But with the flu, america creates a new flu virus every year based on a combination of about four different mutations of flu's that have come before. with the avian flu, the genetic make-up of the flu will be entirely new to the human body. therefore, no flu vaccine will be available for a long time if the avian flu reaches the human pop. even in a country like OOOSA.

"Massive possible problems like this are often covered by media to dstract attention from massive current ones."

^but i agree with this.

Originally posted by mackfatsoe@Mar 12 2005, 08:04 PM

But with the flu, america creates a new flu virus every year based on a combination of about four different mutations of flu's that have come before. with the avian flu, the genetic make-up of the flu will be entirely new to the human body. therefore, no flu vaccine will be available for a long time if the avian flu reaches the human pop. even in a country like OOOSA.

Who needs a fucking vaccine though? It wasn't until recent years when anyone gave a damn about getting any kind of flu vaccine, and at first it was just the elderly and people with compromised immune systems. Now they're trying to convince EVERYONE that they should get a vaccine for an illness which really isn't that big of an ordeal in the first place.

What I'm getting at is that no one need worry except the old and weak, and even they won't be getting exposed to it on a large enough basis to matter. This kind of bullshit hits the news every couple of years and there is always a nationwide deathtoll less than 100....

Originally posted by CamAlmighty@Mar 2 2005, 06:01 AM

Heard somewhere this week that the virus is suspected of beginning to mutate as previously it could only be transferred from our feathered friends to us, but now there are cases where it appears to have been contracted from another human.

Wuh-oh.

Cam>>going shotgun shopping.

:zombie:

thats like TB as far as the mutating is concerned, i saw a documentary about russian prisons and how so much of the population has TB. the medicine they get works for a short time but then mutates and becomes immune so then that spreads and then theres no treatment for that.

wats really gonna fuck us in the long run is all of the anti bacterial this and that, eventually that shits gonna catch up. lets say seabass goes to the jawn and does the deed an washes his hands ( in the best case senerio) with anti soap. what bout his finger nails and inbetween his fingers that he missed.

its gonna catch up one day, it all is.

Originally posted by westy@Mar 25 2005, 10:29 PM

Just nature trying to balance shit out: population control.

You could have said that about the tsunami. It's funny how people can say shit like that and then when someone they know dies from it or they themselves get it they're all upset.