Big Ol' Bag

Telo

Alright folks, so here comes a new dilema. At the early part of august i will be flying to London Eng. At this point in time i will then proceed to make my way over to amsterdam/rotterdam/and some local family towns VIA eurail etc etc.. "by any means necessary" i guess you could put it. Upon walking, riding, and buming rides i'm pretty sure im going to need some type of oversized backpack i always see people sporting.

Now I'm not one to be completely retarded when it comes to traveling but i have never needed one of these oversized backpack jobs because all of my traveling has always been done via roadtrip. The car has always been my backpack.

So i've been scoping out some packs made by Kelty and Northface but i have no fucking clue about durability and "tear-resistance" i guess you could say.

I've been told by a few friends that they had taken northface packs to some pretty extreme conditions down in southamerica and up to the canadian tundra during winter and they have always been top notch.

AS for money, I'm not worried about it. Everyone always likes cheaper but if its going mean my survival then spending an extra hundred or two just doesn't seem all that out of the question.

Also, which packs have better features? extra compartments? more cubic inches?..

Also, i will be staying for about 4 weeks so if anyone knows of a good pack model # or soemthing along those lines that they could recommend, that would also be great.

I know there are some travelers out there. Also any "must sees", "must haves", or good spots to chill and catch a nights rest for cheap or better yet, free, that would be most appreciated.

And since im not a fan of threads with no visual, here are some pictures from the other night.

2005 NBA finals.

palace3.jpg

palace2.jpg

palace1.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i sell these bags for a living.

-vango or berghaus are the brands you need to be looking at.

-make sure it has gore-tex lining, so your shit wont get wet.

-look for a waist strap. when wearing the bag, make sure said waist strap is tightened and comfortable. more weight will be placed on your hips rather than your shoulders = good thing.

any other questions, get back to me.

Originally posted by MrJackDaniels@Jun 16 2005, 12:05 PM

i sell these bags for a living.

-vango or berghaus are the brands you need to be looking at.

-make sure it has gore-tex lining, so your shit wont get wet.

-look for a waist strap. when wearing the bag, make sure said waist strap is tightened and comfortable. more weight will be placed on your hips rather than your shoulders = good thing.

any other questions, get back to me.

Oh word, Thats the exact info i was looking for.. I shall be hollering at you ye ol' private message..

on a wuick note, What does a quality vango bag run and do you know what size i will need for a trip. volume etc?

Originally posted by CamAlmighty+Jun 16 2005, 12:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CamAlmighty - Jun 16 2005, 12:52 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by WhiteOx@Jun 16 2005, 12:18 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Mr. ABC@Jun 16 2005, 03:29 AM

IN MY PANTS!

saw that coming a mile off

His scrotum?

[/b]

no, his coin purse numbnuts.

::insert sarcastic tone here::

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by CamAlmighty+Jun 16 2005, 10:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CamAlmighty - Jun 16 2005, 10:52 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by WhiteOx@Jun 16 2005, 12:18 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Mr. ABC@Jun 16 2005, 03:29 AM

IN MY PANTS!

saw that coming a mile off

His scrotum?

[/b]

yep, it's that big

Originally posted by Telo@Jun 16 2005, 10:52 PM

Oh word, Thats the exact info i was looking for.. I shall be hollering at you ye ol' private message..

on a wuick note, What does a quality vango bag run and do you know what size i will need for a trip. volume etc?

not sure what its like in america, but here you dont need to spend over 100quid. you can get a fucking great quality bag for less than that.

if your planning on living out of your bag, i usually reccomend to customers that a 70litre sack is more than enough. ive lived out of a 70l bag for 3 months. the majority have smaller daysacks which can be unzipped off of the main bag compartment. this is good as you can keep the important shit (documents, keys, cash) in their while the clothes and what not are in the main one. with the small sack on the front of your body its a lot harder for pick pocketers to get at your shit..

and another thing...

the most important thing EVER when it comes to bags is comfort. dont get a bag with all the trims if it doesnt feel right on your back.

make sure the weight is evenly supported over 3 areas: shoulders, back and waist. if it feels like there is more weight on one part than the other, either adjust the straps till it feels ok or change the bag.

most shops which sell these should be able to show you what its like with a full bag on your back. bags feel a fuck lot different empty over full. dont be afraid to make the staff fill up a bag till its bursting so you see what its like.

also, are you male or female? if the latter, then disregard what i said about fittings. most companines make bags which are designed to fit ladies over men. the staps are not as wide and cut over the breast. women can seriously fuck themselves up by wearing a bag which doesnt fit right.

yeh, feel 3 to pm me.

a good starting point

i've done no backpacking in a few years, so i'm certainly not "up" on whats good right now. kelty and northface are certainly reliable companies. as was said--comfort is priority. a poorly fitting pack can ruin a trip in an hour.

sierra trading post has awesome prices, i've used them in the past. if for some strange reason you go to the actual store you should stop and buy some fireworks. thats where the 303 boys go. this july 4th is gonna be fun. also, lots of homemade stuff this year...

Oh man. I'm loving all of this good info.

#1. My main point now is to get the most comfortable pack (fully loaded).

#2. Find the pack that can fit the most non-parishables/ clothing/ necessities for one month..

Now since this thread has started i am now worried about getting a pack with a proper waist strap.. Im faded from game 4 of the finals but will holler at you traveling folks in the morning when im clear headed..

preparing for game 5 row 1 seats.. word.. holler