Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Big Bang and String Theory

Discussion in 'News' started by mental invalid, May 22, 2001.

1. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/22/science/22BANG.html

....i just read a heavy article in the new york times, about the combination of cosmology and physics...i saw a few post mentioning peoples interest in this area of science, so i though id post it...if it doesnt work just goto the science section of the new york times, its always got some mind blowing shit...i really only understand about 10% of the stuff, like when i read brief history of time, but with that 10% i never view my life, the stars, or the universe the same way...peace in this and all other dimensions of tyme/space-roe

2. Pilau Hands

Pilau Hands Guest

yeah fuck the sun! i fuckin hate the sun!
    long live the beast! the night time is the right time!

you need to be signed up at the NYTimes to read anything. it is free though...

3. jungle cat

jungle cat Elite Member

mental could you post the article, i dont want to go through the trouble of signing up.. thanks.

------------------
    yes.. yes i am.

4. BoB Hope ONER

BoB Hope ONER Elite Member

theres this kid know who i see daily.. who.. seems to always find a way of mentioning the string theory.

how did you know my bang was so big..

guess word got aroundism.

5. Well, I don't wanna go through the hassle of registering, but if you want to, pick up the book "The Elegant Universe". It has a whole chapter on the implications of string theory on the origins of the universe that are probably mentioned in the article. It explains why only 3 spatial dimensions and one expanded while the other 6 or 7 (depending of which branch of M-theory you talk about) remained curled up, why the universe has a pretty much even distribution of thermal radiation all throughout its expanse, and the possibility that there was actually a pre-Big Bang period. String theory, you see, places a minimum size on things (called the Planck length), and any physical object being compressed lower than that size would "bounce" back out, meaning that nothing can be smaller than it. So there is a possibility that the universe was actually infinite in expanse (all of its 10 or 11 dimensions) before the Big Bang, and some invariance caused all the dimensions to curl back on themselves down to a Planck-sized nugget, at which point it "bounced" back (aka: The Big Bang), and quantum fluctuations at near planck-length caused most dimensions to remain curled up while three expanded (plus one time dimension). Whoo, I'm getting dizzy here. Sure, I might be a nerd, but I love this shit. Beer,

El Mamerro

6. mental invalid

...hey junglecat, i just sent you an email with a word attachment where i cut and pasted the article, let me know if it works...its like three pages...so i didnt want to just paste it on the board....and holy shit mammero, are you really just stephen hawking! thats the whole article...hmm i see.......well if you or anyone else wants the article, join the new york times, or just email me and ill shoot ya a copy... mamero i was gonna send one, but what the fuck if fugly?

...and twinkie sure we can theorize on the origins of the universe and its beginnings, and whats abstract, i mean we theorize and discuss art, god/religion, philosphy
    and psychology, etc. dont we?-roe

ps-hope oner it mentions your big bang in the article too...crazy...

7. cafe con leche

cafe con leche Member

How to Know God by Deepak Chopra.

8. mental invalid

...yo jungle cat i tried to email you that article and it got bounced back, if you want, hit me with an email, its listed in my profile, and ill shoot it over to you...

peace-roe

9. Hell yeah, send it over. The addy is halvarez@risd.edu. And no, I am not Stephen Hawking. I can get it up. Beer,

El Mamerro

10. Pilau Hands

Pilau Hands Guest

Uhhh...I was being sarcastic while simultaneously making a comedic reference to Adam Sandler.

planes fly over head

11. fr8oholic

fr8oholic Veteran Member

whoa.

hmmmm.. carl sagan and his almost text book like winner cosmos really baked my noodle but i'd certainly like some others that you guys may suggest.

12. brown twinkie

brown twinkie Veteran Member

true true....i just find it amusing that its taken sort of as law by alot of people....you know, that the big bang really happened and thats the way
    everything became to be in an easy 2 word phrase....i don't know....its abstract, thats the only way i can describe it.....by abstract i mean its fleeting, hard to grasp, impossible to fathom..........blah.....

13. dBUSH

dBUSH Guest

I really dont see the point. Is there no such thing as infinity to these scientists? Assuming time will never end, why should it have a beginning? Every fundamental building block of exsistence has eventually been broken down further into its sub-particles. I guess if it gives a bunch of mathematicians a better understanding of the world they feel the need to define then swell.

14. BoB Hope ONER

BoB Hope ONER Elite Member

isnt that required reading for your physics class you geek.

if i only had some beerism.

15. mental invalid

...ah, what...iphs lay of the lsd....excuse me, but im only trying to find intelligent life on this message board...you can fuck the sun and be nocturnal, or you can join an anti-government militia, i dont give a fuck, just dont be fuckin' stupid...the article has nothing to do with the government or the fuckin sun!...can you read or do you just write?...yes you have to become a member at the new york times, but infering from your sub-neanderthalish responses, dont bother....i think youd enjoy the news section on iwon.com perhaps...any other brilliant observations?....by the way if anyone knows a book similar to brief history let me know....the retarted astro-physicist