BFA in Printmaking.

Nutonce

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

im getting my bfa in printmaking. its really great right now but i dont know what the future holds in store...

you can work in a print shop making more popular artists prints.

or you can become a popular artist.

i dont know man. what the hell right?

getting a bfa is kinda funny in general.

biscuit, whats outrageous is i actually believe i can become a popular artist.i sincerely believe im that good.

vanity im not looking for the art education bs, i just want to learn everything about printmaking so i can market my own work in a professional format.

biscuit, explain what you are learning while taking up this major.

a masters in industrial design wouldnt hurt would it?

Printmaking is good, because like many other types of arts, if you get a BFA or any degree in it, you can pretty much go anywhere. Theres a lot of opportunities out there... tshirt design, clothing in general, poster, etc, all depending on what type youre concentrating in. Go for it, especially if you like it. Just find a way to make a good cash flow.

Whatever BFA you decide to do, its a good idea to get as much actual industry experience as possible while your actually doing your degree. Once you finish employers generally tend to care about who you've worked for in the past more than your degree. So go and volunteer to do shit wherever you can. Work on lots of projects ect... OR DIE (or be unemployed)

The thing with printmaking is, its a specialized field, its not easy to do and a fair amount of the artist's i know cant produce prints for shit (aside from lino cuts.)

I suggest you go for it if thats what you really want to do, but make sure you get full coverage on digital printing/repligraph process because that will be something im sure you going to have to deal with. Either way, good luck with whatever you choose to do.

...i have a bfa and there are lots of job oppurtunities out there...they are very competetive, but they are there...if all you want to do is make and show your own work, then all you need is really good work, a strong resume and a great portfolio...

...what are you going to focus on?...litho?...screenprinting?...digital?...

Originally posted by High Priest@Nov 4 2004, 03:06 AM

The thing with printmaking is, its a specialized field, its not easy to do and a fair amount of the artist's i know cant produce prints for shit (aside from lino cuts.)

I suggest you go for it if thats what you really want to do, but make sure you get full coverage on digital printing/repligraph process because that will be something im sure you going to have to deal with. Either way, good luck with whatever you choose to do.

thank you. explain all this digital printing/ repligraph process thing. what will i learn how to do, the program im looking at has no mention of this.

Originally posted by Nutonce@Nov 4 2004, 12:34 AM

biscuit, whats outrageous is i actually believe i can become a popular artist.i sincerely believe im that good.

vanity im not looking for the art education bs, i just want to learn everything about printmaking so i can market my own work in a professional format.

biscuit, explain what you are learning while taking up this major.

a masters in industrial design wouldnt hurt would it?

im focusing on etching right now, i do some lithography and some screenprinting as well. i just took a seminar on fotogravure. theres also relief printing and monoprint. i enjoy making prints alot theres a kind of beauty in them that you dont see in other mediums.

if you think you have what it takes to be succesful with your fine art then i would definately go for it.

art as a career can be complete bliss or hell on earth. it just depends. if you get to do what you want to do then its awesome. but getting stuck in a job that treats creative like a factory will burn you out.

I'm seriously considering going blue collar for a while and working on a big 4 color press.