beardo's saturday night post 1-18-02

Guest beardo

its what, 2:45am? why is there an old man downstairs shoveling snow? and i had planned on going skateboarding today, but i woke up to this annoyingly light flurry that lasted nearly the entire day. looks like we got about 3 inches. surprisingly, while i've been fearing the innevitable onslaught of winters most hallmark trait, i didnt feel that it was altogether a bad thing. lots of fun childhood memories slowly came back. one particularly amusing memory had a little twist of irony. turning an old skateboard into a snowboard. dont front. you know you've tried it too. im not sure i made it much further than gluing some super gritty sandpaper to the top of the deck, but it was the best my little brain could come up with. pretty sure i made it all the way down that hill once. nearly hit the jump even. ah, the good times!

how bout it, if you ever got it right, what was your solution to creating the best "po'board" or even better a goofball story about a failed attempt.

holla.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Pilau Hands

one time, we must have been about 11, my cousins and i tried to make a big plank of wood into a skate board. it was about 4 feet tall, and we glued old training wheels to it. my grandmother's hill is at about a 45degree incline. the story doesn't end well. imagine the camera on the ground and a close-up of a wheel rolling by.

i don't skateboard today.

come on beard, i would have thought you more imaginative than that...

deck, upside down screws (think 'ollie bolts') and a bike inner tube. bolt the tub down so it makes a small strap to put your feet under... boom.

we also used to do it standing up on sleads.

the good old days.

ive been meaning to go sledding a couple times this year and it just hasent happend... i will before the winters up though...

Just last night after I got home from work at 10:30p.m. I told my brother and our two friends there, that we needed to go sledding! Its the best part about the damn snow. But of course we don't have any sleds, so I go into the attic and find some old ass pan with little handles on the end. Its just big enough to sit in, almost like a little red wagon but smaller. I then find a cord that has clips on each end to attach one end to the pan and the other to the back of my friends pick up truck. The streets weren't plowed yet, so off we go hauling ass behind the truck in the middle of the night. I have to buy a normal sled cause it makes it even more fun, that and being 20 years old, sitting in a pan in the middle of the night being towed by a truck. Classic.

seek, we used to do the same thing that you did (bike tire, screw thing), only we would use a 20 layer thick strip of duct tape and canvas. Before we thought to make snow(skate)boards that you could actually get out of we would just duct tape an old pair of shoes to the deck. This resulted in a plethora of skinned knees and teary eyes.

well anyway, saturday night consisted of ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.... I guess three consecutive days of skiing and a total of 17 hours sleep for three nights left me in a bit of a stuper(sp).

Guest chicken bone

i am agoing to climb under my computer and slowly thump my head on the floor repeating your name over and over again until you start treating me like a lady

i took my little sister sledding a couple weeks ago and we initially brought two sleds. Since the hill was mainly ice, it was only time before the one broke. ...with only one left, it was time to makeshift another one.

I know its not a snowboard knock off, but i was using random stuff all over the hill. Many little trashy kids where there also using garbage.. so heres a short list of things i ended up using while my sister used the sled.

durable garbage bag -> works okay on a huge hill if you have padding

garbage can lid -> sucks no matter what

broken sled -> not that cool since my butt tore into the ground through the sled and i kept turning and wiping out.

piece of tarp -> slightly better than garbage bag.

piece of cardboard -> really sucks on an icy hill

construction barrel -> if i wasn't as tall as i am, i would have worked good.

i think thats about it. adios amigos

ha said ollie bolts.

thats funny.

i remember going that.

i didnt really like it though, so i just turned them around and busted a super dope hard as hell crazy insane ollie to manuel

what we used to do (where i grew up there we had no snow) was get a bunch of rubber bands and attach them to the skate board and strap your feet in so that you could just jump real high and it would look like the board was following your feet, like magic.

another thing, you might even consider it street sleigh riding. there's a way to make a go cart using a plank of wood, 3 ball bearings off a truck or big machine, and a couple pieces of wood to be used as axels and for stearing. two wheels on the back axel and one on the front in the middle...you sit on the plank and use your feet and the front axel as a steering device. get two bricks and ride down the street holding the bricks one in each hand and make lines with them (like chalk), thus making a track which you could ride again and again. yeh that was fun

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Went to a bboy event in Maryland, just got back from a 12 hour drive. Got a lump on my knee the size of Nebraska. Sleep is needed. Beer,

El Mamerro

well I dont have a sketbord story....but me and my friends did build a decent go kart once, actually now that I think about it it kinda sucked. anyhow we took my brothers old Big wheels (it was a ghostbusters one) and somehow attached part of a supermarket buggy to it.....I have no memory of how we did this... Im sure we looked like a bunch of freaks rising arround the neighbourhood in that contraption...

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

when we used to go skiiing in middle school, we would steal the trays from the eating area and bomb down the mountain on those.

fun.

Archived