bay area graffiti

robotfuckr

i know this is a real broad subject, being as it differs so much from place to place, and this post mainly concerns sf graf. where's it going? there's a lot less total ups now than, say, in '95 (I was just out, and it just isnt crushed like it was now -- I used to be able to count on walls being killed, even if they'd be buffed soon. No crew is really killing shit. where's it going? maybe i'm just sentimental, but i dont see too much i like out there. shit seems less special than before? Is it the increase in police force, whats-his-name (lol) -- mission is no longer a freebie.

your thoughts?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I think graffiti has just went underground for a little while to get rid of the Toy kids that bring to much heat. Also me and mine lay low for weeks and practice this one thing were doing then when we unleash it everyones like "Holy Shit!!!''

HAHAHAHAH, u sound like either a cop or a fuckin major dickrider. Well it dosnt sound like, you are. Why the fuck do you count on other people to make the graff scene in frisco, get off ur dickridin ass and creat the scene, bitch. And mother fucker you say no one is "killing shit" well what the fuck is ur definition of that? Theres tons of new talent in the bay area and of coarse graffiti has changed since 95. What the fuck do u expect you fuckin nark? Your nothin but a stary ass dickridin fag that all the true writers deal with daily but fuck stay off the internet and stay outa FRISKO biotch. Nark ass Sucker.

Guest deadlydnut

more kids are getting more artsyer and worrying about how their peice looks and not how much they're up thats just my veiw, though, and I havent been to frisco in awhile...

Guest -MOE LESTER-
Originally posted by deadlydnut

more kids are getting more artsyer and worrying about how their peice looks and not how much they're up thats just my veiw, though, and I havent been to frisco in awhile...

i kno too many kids who are more about the quality of their latest wildstyle than getting up

Things needed to make SF like it was in '95-

1. Dot com fuckers to go away so there's pits and lots, and no one gives half a fuck as to what things look like. This would go well with an economic downturn.

2. SF to stop allocating so much money and time for graffiti cleanup.

3. More people. Simple fact, there's not as many people that make you say, "Woah, shit...". Don't get me wrong, there's still quite a few, but not as many as '95.

4. Less people on the internet bitching about how times have changed (such as myself), and more people out doing stuff.

Guest -MOE LESTER-

i will continue to whiz on peoples doorsteps in SF...its not graffiti, but its for the cause:D

i run with a small group of kids who are much more about getting ups than turning out a pretty ass full wall... this doesn't seem to be the trend however... these guys get clowned on a good deal because they don't stick with the standard hands and they don't get a lot of "pieces"... however, they absolutely crush most of the people bitching about them when it comes to simple ups... this isn't in SF, but it's close... and the same thing seems to be happening in sf...

Guest deadlydnut

If the crew is serious, you could wipe them out, no one would even know who they were if you just bombed over their peices since they dont get much ups, that shows what really matters...

Originally posted by vinyl junkie

i run with a small group of kids who are much more about getting ups than turning out a pretty ass full wall... this doesn't seem to be the trend however... these guys get clowned on a good deal because they don't stick with the standard hands and they don't get a lot of "pieces"... however, they absolutely crush most of the people bitching about them when it comes to simple ups... this isn't in SF, but it's close... and the same thing seems to be happening in sf...

In the era that robotfuckr is referring to, people got ups but also managed to do it with some style and individuality. You may not remember because you didn't know what graff was...you and your toy friends from the East Bay. Ups aren't everything, I'll tell you that much. If you don't execute it with style, it's nothing, it's garbage - and what's worse is that is attracts the police and the buff.

In this era of internet graff, every fucking tag regardless of style is jocked by all these art fag graff worshipers, who take flicks of every fucking thing everywhere and post it on their websites. To prove they are down maybe, I don't know, you tell me - you seem to know alot.

ive never lived there, but have gone there occasionally for the last ten years to check shit out and 95 and 96 are probably the worst years i can remember, most of the shit i remember seeing those years were low risk lots, pits, and roofs, and it was mainly out of town art kids doing it ? maybe im wrong. give me 93, or late 97-98.

fuckers

yeah look how many posts i gots. i'm not on the net too often -- i dont own a computer. so shut the fuck up. yeah, there's still graf, but it's just all not as fun as it was. i'm not even saying so-and-so and myself arent killing shit, i was just all bummed when i was out and seeing spots that would always be crushed that are all empty now -- just not enough excitement in the sf graf scene that's all.

xxxxx

on a side note here-->

maybe someone can clear this rumor up for me...?

does willie brown's son really own the TRUE shops?

**note...i realize that they are 2 different people and have not made any comments(yet)..but this has always sort of amazed me....if true?...

Guest deadlydnut
Originally posted by I Luv Roo

In the era that robotfuckr is referring to, people got ups but also managed to do it with some style and individuality. You may not remember because you didn't know what graff was...you and your toy friends from the East Bay. Ups aren't everything, I'll tell you that much. If you don't execute it with style, it's nothing, it's garbage - and what's worse is that is attracts the police and the buff.

So chakas garbage because his shit was simple?

Re: fuckers

Originally posted by robotfuckr

yeah look how many posts i gots. i'm not on the net too often -- i dont own a computer. so shut the fuck up. yeah, there's still graf, but it's just all not as fun as it was. i'm not even saying so-and-so and myself arent killing shit, i was just all bummed when i was out and seeing spots that would always be crushed that are all empty now -- just not enough excitement in the sf graf scene that's all.

I dont see why fools come on the fuckin internet to complain about whos crushing shit, whos got ups in this city, ect,ect. If your worried about walls that arent getting hit, then go out and fuckin paint!!!!

Stop bitchin about the SF graff scene, if you want more graffiti than go out and paint.

Guest -MOE LESTER-
Originally posted by cleansheets

you want to see really graff?....come to NYC.

shut up and stop jocking your city....your just like those kids from philly who think they are the shit because they got their philly handstyles..Yes, NYC is a great city for graffiti...but its not the only one...so stop self promoting that shit

Re: xxxxx

Originally posted by sitka/xxxxx

on a side note here-->

maybe someone can clear this rumor up for me...?

does willie brown's son really own the TRUE shops?

**note...i realize that they are 2 different people and have not made any comments(yet)..but this has always sort of amazed me....if true?...

as far as i know willie brown's son does own true. i think my friend asked him once...im not sure though. sort of a trip huh? the owner is a really cool guy and so are most of the people working for him.

Unless youre jokin, Chaka was one of the most prolific writers in LAs history,Way OG.Late 80's destroyed the fuck out of a city that was destroyed to begin with.He makes most writers called kings look like pussies.All on a fucken skateboard.He was my neighbor in the projects.my gangster cousins use to smoke him out and hed be off with a sack and a shit load of utensils for weeks.

Oh...well, I wasn't joking, but I thought this was a thread about Bay Area writers, and the comment was specifically towards the East Bay...and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's no Chaka in the East Bay, unless he was travelling from LA, which really wouldn't make THAT much of a difference up here. Y'know?

And I don't keep track of very many LA writers, just as I don't keep tabs on very many writers in my own hood.

So why is someone bringing up Chaka anyway? Name droppers...

East Bay Toys are my problem. I've lived here through a bunch of different phases in my area, and this is BY FAR the saddest phase in graff that I've witnessed. I get out and paint, but my philosophy is that I will be a writer my whole life, so there's no reason for me to try to cover the city in one month, then give up for good. Most of all, I've been able to keep painting over the years, and I've gained enough respect in my area for me to even have the right to be critical of what's going on now.

People are going over each other with shit throwies - in areas that were running for a long time, people are going over each other when there is plenty of room for more coverage or creativity, without having to diss other writers. They don't do anything more than a hollow or a tag. Never one rooftop by these cats have I seen as of yet. Some have already fallen off...after just a few months...that's how sad it is. Driving home this morning after work, OK hit up on every HOUSE on shattuck ave between 51st and 45th with shitty purple paint and stock tips. Not only that, but hit up at arm/eye level, right off the sidewalk - not even any effort, and these are people's HOMES. This isn't the "establishment", it's a poor stretch of road where people can't afford to keep their houses maintained, people are going out of business, and to top it off, they will now have a lovely grey patch of paint on their house and plenty more cops patrolling the neighborhood. Not to mention there's a completely untouched Hollywood Video across the street, no tags, why? because there's a fence around the parking lot.

The graff in the east bay is petty, thuggish, self centered and egotistical. To me, that's not what graff is about. Then again, there's always THAT argument...

i'm terribly sorry you have issues with friends of mine, roo... i never said that this is what i do... you don't know what i write, so don't tell me what i'm doing wrong... i don't write on houses (in fact i'll be talking to ok about this tomorrow now), and i don't put more effort into ups than quality... i never said i'm crew with these kids i talked about in my first post and i'm not in gsr so i'm not gonna take the rap for other gsr kid's blunders) i stay away from crews for this exact reason... so i don't have to take the shit for someone else's stupidity... i know people who simply like to crush- i don't... a night spent just tagging is fun, but, i'm very particular about where i hit up (no houses, cars, private businesses, etc.) and i make a point of having a very consistant hand... so anyways, take your beef where it belongs-- to the individuals you have beef with... you don't know who i am, so don't yell at me...

just some more shit i didn't put in above... first, i am not a thug... nuff said...

second, i don't go over other people, period... if i have beef with someone i'll take it up with them personally... i don't have any trouble tracking down writers and i will talk to them- i won't hack their shit, and i won't fight... i have my reasons for writing, and if i follow those reasons, then that means not fucking with other writer's shit...

i leave my ego at home when i write... if i get crossed, yeah, i get pissed, but i let it go and move on... what's the point of getting my ass kicked over some stupid paint on a wall?

basically same as i said above, you don't know me, don't front like you do... if you'd like to know me, i'd love to meet you (AIM, email...)... i don't wanna fight, i'm just always interested in meeting other writers, and i think we actually share some of the same beliefs regarding graff, whether you realize it or not...

You're right, I don't know what you write. But I never said I had an issue with your style or ups or any of that. My only issue with you is that you appear to be giving props to people who don't deserve it, but are your friends, so in a way you DO support what they do. I'm concerned with my neighborhood locals getting more pissed about graff than is necessary, and I'm concerned with the area becoming hot.

I agree with some of what youre saying about the eastbay scene roo.I saw a lot of stupid shit like you mentioned.That kind of random toy behavior DOES get locals pissed and they start acting like vigilantes and shit.The sad part is that generally the backlash most negatively effects those who are really down for graff.Example; the LA tagbanger scene in the early 90's.After the heat was put on graff in LA cuz of them,shit went horrible for true writers, tougher laws,heroes nonstop, green light on writers by gangs,etc,etc.Most tagbangers grew balls and joined gangs, or got old.Who felt most of the repurcussions? Only writers who stuck it out and continued to paint,Now every thing is associated with gangs.I saw it happening in the Eastbay,people startin drama,people get hurt,etc,etc,more fucken heat on the scene.

Archived