BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Weapon X

I had heard some good things about this show, but was always a skeptic, as I never really cared for the old one, and a lot of sci-fi shows just don't cut it for me these days (save for maybe some humourous ones like Lexx).

Well, I was wrong. My friend lent me the mini-series plus the first season on a burnt DVD, and I am in :heartbeat:.

For those of you who enjoyed shows like the short-lived Space: Above and Beyond, I implore you to watch this show.

As cool as the whole storyline is, I have a blast watching the character development. In the mini-series alone, I was surprised that I learned so much about the different characters in such a short time.

So...CHECK IT!!!! I don't know if it is on DVD just yet, though. Check your local listings or download it or something.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

from the commercials alone i could tell the writing sucks. something about the enemy being able to appear as anyone of the good guys. led to some crappy writing on subjects that have been covered in many sci-fi shows before. they should bring back buck rogers.

Originally posted by BIGMETALCIRCUS@Jun 5 2005, 09:19 PM

from the commercials alone i could tell the writing sucks. something about the enemy being able to appear as anyone of the good guys. led to some crappy writing on subjects that have been covered in many sci-fi shows before. they should bring back buck rogers.

If you'd just watch the miniseries, you'd see how wrong you are about the writing. I'm not sure who the writer is, but he has done a pretty darn good job, in my opinion.

Cylons do have the capabilities of appearing as a human, but it gets more intricate than that in a lot of ways.

I hear that the next season begins airing in July, so people should get on giving this show a try!

• 1 year later...
Guest R@ndomH3ro
Well, it's become a pretty big hit with viewers and critics for a reason.

They're even launching a spin-off in a few months.

What of Ghost Hunters? That would be cool but I cant see a spin off unless they call it Two Dudes that work at RotoRooter and that would be no good.

I probably would have to watch it from the beginning to understand what's going on. I never really got into star trek that much either... Though I think it's starting to grow on me.

I always prefered star wars. I liked quantum leap alot. McGuyver. I was into Xena too probably because she's a babe that battles dragons and ogres and shit, which is easy awesome points in my book. lol.

Actually I probably watch more anime than anything. No actually I watch the news most. But as for entertainment.... anime.

Lucy Lawless (Xena) and Dean Stockwell (the old dude from Quantam Leap) are both in BSG.

Lets clear one thing up...the first Battlestar series was a giant flaming piece of shit that someone dropped im my drink at my favorite bar...that is how bad it is.

This new series is an entirely diffent animal. And for those who havent seen it you would have to start from the first episode to truely grasp what is going on. If not, it would be like watching LOST, TWIN PEAKS, or 24 from the middle of the second season. All great shows, but if you had not had a chance to watch the entire story unfold there is no way you could really apperciate what the writers are try to tell you.

As to the whole enemy could be any one of the protaginists and such, it is somewhat of a social commentary of todays polictical climate, (i.e terroists and how they could have be anybody)

The creator of the new series was a political science major(and big fan of Hunter Thompson and Norman Mailer), and as all good science fiction writers (Vonnegut, Heinlen, Phillip K. Dick and so on) BSG is addressing alot of polictical, cultural, religious, and phiisophical issues that our present society deals with. Although it adds spaceships and robots to the mix. Thus escaping the scrutiny of politcal attack dogs from what ever side of the isle they may come from.

Aside form all the serious shit going on in the show, it is a really good story. The Human race is almost exterminated (less than 50,000 survivors)by a machine civilization the the humans created in the past. At the beginning of every episode the number of survivors is shown, and unfortunately it gets smaller with every new episode. The decisions that they have to make to survive (to keep the number from going down) is where the show shines. It makes you think about what is right, what is wrong, and what is nessecary to survive, which may not always be right to most of us...

anyways...dont knock it till you at least see it, in my opinion it is probably one of the best shows on TV these days, one that makes you think....and those shows are a rarity these days...

plus it has hot azn chicks in it...

• 1 month later...

For those that don't know, there are a bunch of 'Webisodes' coming out right now, leading up to the season 3 premiere in October.

They are produced and written by the guys who do the real show.

http://blog.scifi.com/battlestar/

The web series is called Battlestar Galactica: Resistance.

DON'T WATCH THEM UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETED SEASON TWO!

You can youtube them or find them on scifi.com

I've seen a few bash the original show and I have to protest. I think I was about ten years old when that shit came out... and I was blown away. Maybe I was a young nerd back then or something, who knows, but that show was awesome. I know I wasn't the only one because I've met several people (mostly at the annual BSG convention in Pasadena) who feel the same. This was the time of Star Wars as well so it fit in perfectly and filled the gap of something for space war starved kids to watch on the regular.

The new series is fantastic as well and I will admit to being a nerd and waiting for the first season to start. I waited for at least a year before that show premiered and was definitely not let down. If they had tried to recreate the same storyline and same shows... it would have been a disaster.

Two thumbs up from this white nerd...