Bathing Ape: The Great Ripoff

Gunm

SO here I am in Hong Kong doing some clothes shopping and it occurs to me "Hey, why not look for the ill hard to find threads?"

I see every other person wearing Bathing Ape apparel and so I assume that it must be popular = affordable. At most, i expect a t-shirt to cost maybe $35-40 given the nature of the label.

WRONG

Shop after shop is hawking Bathing Ape t-shirts....fucking T-SHIRTS.........for $90-120 a pop. Did I miss something here? Since when did a t-shirt cost upwards of an 1/8 of my travel budget?

It's not like the shirt is made of silk or the pubic hair of virgins.....it's just plain ass cotton with a KAWS graphic going for ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. A t-shirt....printed for pennies on the dollar and then is sold for massive cash. Can you say FLEECING?

A pox on Bathing Ape and that cash monger KAWS for this. An even bigger pox on people that put out the cash for stuff like this and encouraging it. These are T-Shirts you idiots...not collectables that you seal in Mylar bags and allow to accrue value over time. I swear....graffiti writers are becoming the new comic book nerds on the real.

SO today, i am going down to the market place and buying four or five boot leg, knock off bathing ape shirt i can find. Fuck this shit. Time for a drink

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah, BAPESTA's are still about 3 bills.

Wayyyy too fucking expensive. Not my ish really, I copped one pair on ebay because kids slept on them and I only paid about 1/3 the price, but other than that.. blech.

Better off copping a pair of quickstrike nikes for $130.

Thats why the BAPE's are so expensive though, theyre all "quickstrike" and have custom colorways. But basically unless you're fat joe, theyre not worth your money.

a bathing ape has always been expensive, for what seems just normal goods. my friend bought the kaws bape green camo hoodie for like 500 bucks, and i nearly shat my pants. i would never on earth spend that amount of dough on just a hoodie. to each his own though.

i'm not a fan of their stuff, but if i were given the chance to wear their shit for free, i would. but fuck paying enormous amounts of money to look like a walking rainbow

I gotta ask you this.

A Certain Writer From PVC that I went to high school with just bought a house in SF, according to reliable sources (mutual friends). I also heard that he was doing design work in Japan and that he had a successful T-shirt line there, as well. This is in addition to his artist assistant gig, and his own art career, which seems to be doing well.

So, let's say his shirts sold for $80 a pop...I'll cut him a little slack.

The average Victorian in the Mission goes for around $1,000,000.

He gets about 1/3 of the retail in royalties, or something like that...I don't talk to him these days, and even if I did, I wouldn't ask. Rounded up, that works out to $27 a shirt, his way.

That means if he sold 38,000 T-shirts, he gets a house out of the deal. For a sense of how this could be possible, imagine every single 12 ozer shelling out eighty bucks, plus tax, and you'll see that it isn't that difficult.

All thanks to marketing our culture. Whoopee.

On one hand, I admire his initiative...but, I just...don't...know.

In theory, he writes on walls...sometimes legally, sometimes not....and, he's a millionaire.

If you're referring to me, they're not knock offs. They're a pair of shoes that were poorly advertised on ebay and I ended up capitalizing.

Yeah kids are paying to get down with the trend/image, the same way kids are trying to whore graffiti style artwork on ebay.

Go home and paint some more knock-off of Dalek AF1s.

Originally posted by Glik0@Oct 11 2005, 04:24 AM

If you're referring to me, they're not knock offs. They're a pair of shoes that were poorly advertised on ebay and I ended up capitalizing.

Yeah kids are paying to get down with the trend/image, the same way kids are trying to whore graffiti style artwork on ebay.

Go home and paint some more knock-off of Dalek AF1s.

lens-SO today, i am going down to the market place and buying four or five boot leg, knock off bathing ape shirt i can find. Fuck this shit. Time for a drink

A rich friend of my mums, who drives a $80,000 car only rocks fakes lables (LV bags etc) the reason for this is that she says that because shes rich people just assume its real, which goes to show that people dont actually enjoy the quality of the labels/designs but are more concerned with other peoples perceptions on them.

Paying more than $40 for a t-shirt, specialized or not is just robbing yourself.

basically as far as the shoes go...

yes they are the "hot" shit right now..

yes rich chinese and japenese kids are rocking these things because they can.

yes they can charge exactly what they want because people will pay it.

american people are the worlds "whores" when it comes to indulgence.. people will pay 300, 400 for these shoes.

one thing is DEF for sure...

there are MORE fakes out there that look real as hell with almost no sign of them not being not authentic.

(the reason behind the "realness" of the fakes is some poor starving asian person with five kids working at the NIKE factory or BAPE factory steals the mold and sells it to someone who pays them tons of money and then that person turns around and makes their version of the NIKE AF1 with cheaper material. this happens all over asia) hence the reasn for the high prices.

* point being- if you want the real authentic steez, shut up and pay up.

i dig bape shit, but it's really, really pricy.

i have a wristband that i paid a ridiculous amount of money for, considering it's a wristband. it was one of my more immature purchases.

most of the time, bapestas look like clown shoes. i mean the more subtle ones are fresh, but the shiny ass patent leather ones...no thanks.

it's cool design though, nigo usually comes on point. he also just got signed to def jam, for some reason.

by the way,

ice creams > bapestas