Banksy hits the West bank

JerryCurl

From The BBC News

Art prankster sprays Israeli wall

Banksy's spray paint picture on security wall

Secretive "guerrilla" artist Banksy has decorated Israel's controversial West Bank barrier with satirical images of life on the other side.

The nine paintings were created on the Palestinian side of the barrier.

1.jpg

One depicts a hole in the wall with an idyllic beach, while another shows a mountain landscape on the other side.

Banksy's spokeswoman Jo Brooks said: "The Israeli security forces did shoot in the air threateningly and there were quite a few guns pointed at him."

Banksy said he was threatened by Israeli security forces

Another picture shows the head of a white horse appearing to poke through, while he has also painted a ladder going over the wall.

The 425-mile (680-kilometre) long barrier, made of concrete walls and razor-wire fences, is still being erected by Israeli authorities.

Israel says the structure is necessary to protect the country from suicide bombers, but the International Court of Justice has said it breaches international law.

Banksy, who hails from the UK city of Bristol, never allows himself to be photographed and created the images last week.

_41379759_banksy2pa_203.jpg

_41379761_banksypa_203.jpg

Banksy is well known for his art stunts around the world

He condemned the wall but described it as "the ultimate activity holiday destination for graffiti writers".

His previous creations, which critics condemn as stunts, have included a bronze spoof of the statue of Justice from the Old Bailey, London, wearing thigh-high boots and a suspender belt.

He also embarrassed the British Museum by planting a hoax cave painting of a man pushing a supermarket trolley, which he said went unnoticed for three days.

He has also smuggled and hung works in galleries including the Tate Britain in London and the Metropolitan and the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He definitely had someone let someone else know he was going to be there at that time... There have been numerous reporters/people shooting documentaries who have been killed by IDF holding up a white flag (British and Americans included). I can't imagine some kid probably dressed in dark clothing at night directly next to a blast wall with guns on him NOT getting shot.

Does anyone have the full story?

Originally posted by Stereotype V.001+Aug 13 2005, 12:37 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stereotype V.001 - Aug 13 2005, 12:37 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>He definitely had someone let someone else know he was going to be there at that time... There have been numerous reporters/people shooting documentaries who have been killed by IDF holding up a white flag (British and Americans included). I can't imagine some kid probably dressed in dark clothing at night directly next to a blast wall with guns on him NOT getting shot.

Does anyone have the full story?

[/b]

ahem.

<!--QuoteBegin-Banksy@banksy.co.uk

Soldier: What the fuck

are you doing?

Me: You'll have to wait til it's finished

Soldier (to colleagues): Safety's off

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by caffeine@Aug 7 2005, 02:13 AM

So,

they caught him in the act, and didn't arrest him?

He was on the Palestinian side critisizing israel. So the palestinians wouldnt care.

If we asume the wall is Israeli, it would start a diplomatic thriller if anything happened to a brit that just painted on the wall granted banksy made sure that thiw was all over the media.

but fuck all that,

Banksy is fuckin awesome.

Originally posted by Tesseract+Aug 14 2005, 09:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tesseract - Aug 14 2005, 09:00 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-caffeine@Aug 7 2005, 02:13 AM

So,

He was on the Palestinian side critisizing israel. So the palestinians wouldnt care.

If we asume the wall is Israeli, it would start a diplomatic thriller if anything happened to a brit that just painted on the wall granted banksy made sure that thiw was all over the media.

but fuck all that,

[/b]

word. that wall is 20X worse than the Berlin Wall.

What fucking fascists those hypocrite jews are.

Originally posted by LENS@Aug 12 2005, 04:51 PM

Banksy should have done one with a bunch of naked women or an orgy going down on the other side

good one!

i think banksy is much more politically inclined than that...besides this perfectly illustrates why people in the middle east feel such disgust agasinst westerners. while they risk their lives on daily basis to stand up for the little freedoms they do have, all we can reply with is sexual fantasies!

Originally posted by Tesseract+Aug 14 2005, 10:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tesseract - Aug 14 2005, 10:00 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-caffeine@Aug 7 2005, 02:13 AM

So,

but fuck all that,

[/b]

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that the soldiers wouldn't have killed banksy b/c he is a British citizen, and it would have stirred up a media shitstorm? With the fact that it was night and probably would have been difficult to distinguish his nationality, and the recent events that surely have all soldiers on edge aside, here are some links that basically prove otherwise.

And that BARELY scratches the surface....needless to say the Israeli soldiers are beyond a little bit trigger happy. They shoot at anything that moves. Also, this is why I find it very hard to believe they only would only say "What the fuck are you doing?" So no one here has the full story I guess? Definitely a dope spot, idea, and well executed, but I am quite curious on how banksy avoided a few extra breathing holes.

"What fucking fascists those hypocrite jews are."

MY IRONY DETECTOR IS GOING HAYWIRE!!!!!!!!REEORREEEORREEEOR!!!

Originally posted by Baz00kaT00th+Aug 14 2005, 04:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Baz00kaT00th - Aug 14 2005, 04:12 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-LENS@Aug 12 2005, 04:51 PM

Banksy should have done one with a bunch of naked women or an orgy going down on the other side

good one!

i think banksy is much more politically inclined than that...besides this perfectly illustrates why people in the middle east feel such disgust agasinst westerners. while they risk their lives on daily basis to stand up for the little freedoms they do have, all we can reply with is sexual fantasies!

[/b]

glad to be living in the united states where I can buy a nudie mag and not get stoned to death for purchasing it thank you very much.

this perfectly illustrates why the united states thinks the middle east is so fucked. A woman so much as reveals an ankle over there and the village elders have her put into an industrial plastic shredder.