Bad Brains

Cracked Ass

OK, they get mentioned enough in other threads, it's obvious that people know, it's time they had their own thread, the BAD BRAINS, quite possibly the best band to ever rattle the earth.

Many subtopics suggest themselves, so expound on those that stir you most.

DR. KNOW owns all of you, and has since the late seventies.

BLACK DOTS seems to have been slept on, even by some friends of mine who otherwise know what's up. This is their first real recording session, complete with tuning noise and chatter between songs, and a couple of numbers I haven't seen on any other album (Redbone in the City, Another Damn Song, Send You No Flowers). In fact I slept on this release for nearly a year, assuming it was a greatest hits-type rehash with 2 new songs from the God of Love time frame. I was mistaken.

Perhaps an even more dedicated follower can fill the gaps in my discology, if any. I am aware of the following recordings:

Black Dots

Omega Sessions

The self-titled, best punk album ever made which begins with "Sailin' On"

Rock for Light

The Youth Are Getting Restless

Another live album I can't find among my tapes (what is it called?)

I Against I

Quickness

Rise

God of Love

?????????

Obviously "Rise" is hard for the real fans to regard with any enthusiasm: no HR, cheesy computer art cover, cheesy ballad. But because I worship Dr. Know I find myself listening to this thing once in a while, just to hear his contribution, and I must say the riff to the title track is immensely fun to play on the guitar.

Don't even ask "what's your favorite Bad Brains song", I can't even begin to list...

You can't afford...

To close your doors...

So soon no more...

My, my

I let you down...

Upon the ground...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Why is there only one reply? I remember being in like 7th grade and hearing them for the first time. I was just kinda like huh. Why haven't I listened to this before? When Omega Sessinons first came out it stayed in my cd player for awhile. I refuse to listen to anything without HR.

these guys are in the permanent top 5 for me. HR's vocal range is just silly and the guitar and bass licks are like listening to coffee. pure tear shit up punk rock at it's finest. i'm much more a fan of the older stuff before they made that metal conversion. bring on BIG TAKEOVER and BANNED IN DC anyday.

..a piece of wisdom..

from our hearts!!!

bad brains rule

i saw em at 12 (!i feel old!)

at a small spot downtown..it was supposed to be their "last show"

Cracked Ass,have you heard HR's solo project-Human Rights?It's good,albeit a little bizarre...Pay to Cum-that song gets me fucking pumped.Bad Brains will be the soundtrack to governments being toppled.

"Leaving this Babylon,Leaving this Babylon,Will not be too long..."

I haven't heard any of the solo projects from the post-split, although I hear rumors. I heard Dr. Know was doing some producing for other bands.

My only regret is getting into them way late, and so never seeing them live.

YOU'RE THE REGULATOR

YOU'RE THE REGULATOR

YOU'RE THE REGULATOR

YOU'RE THE REGULATOR!!

This is well deserved I'm not the biggest fan but I get down with the brains.LETS TALK CRO-MAGS!I'm all for it...seriously the cro mags are one of the only things I've been listening to...if any of you have the full albums zipped drop me a line and send it over.....lady friend gotta burnnnnaaaaaa

Theres also a live in SF cd out there from 99...Also, i got some vids. if anyones interesed in trading...Bad Brains in 1978 at CBGB...Pretty poor condition, but shit its dope for the hardcore fans...They all got short ass hair and suits on..I also have this video, from somewhere in Orange County I believe, its Bad Brains at their prime, pretty good quality, great set...i also have 3 of their "real" music videos.."hired gun", "i against i" and " Soul Craft"...

I also got to see them twice, the first time was in 89, I think, in Reseda California at this spot called the Country Club...It was the Quickness Tour...INSANE...HR doing backflips on the stage!!! I was also lucky enough to get an invite to a private party in Hollywood in like 96 to see them play in front of 100 people...They played 90% reggae jams, but to be that close was the shit...

FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS FOREVER!!!

donniefrisco@hotmail.com

Frate Raper-Did you know that the CroMags are runnin shit with a weed-selling bicycle messenger service in NYC?This girl band Sick of the Abuse stayed at my friend's house after the show down here,and one of the girls was a delivery person for em.Just a little tidbit of useless knowledge....

Guest BROWNer

are you talkin' old cromags or new? cuz the old shit is hilarious..

especially 'malfunction'......had to be there shit....

badbrains.......i'll take the old stuff over new

anyday, but they still deserve their 'props'..even though

i haven't listened to them in probly 10years....

Originally posted by THE LAW

ROIR Sessions also.

recognize.

actually, the ROIR sessions was the same as the self tiltled that cracked mentioned that begins with Sailing On. ROIR released it on vinyl and cassette and had the yellow cover with the lightning striking DC. Relativity records got the rights to release it on CD only. The label Relativity had was called InEffect (a hardcore label with such groups as KillingTime, AgnosticFront, SickOfItAll), relativity gave up InEffect and all other sub-labels and put all their bands out with just the relativity label. Relativity put the ROIR sessions out of print sometime in the nineties, and someone else picked up the rights. now the same CD has the familiar yellow cover.

Cracked-you forgot to mention the LIVE album on SST records, and also ANOTHER live recording called Spirit Electricity(no HR) however, the best live album was Youth are getting restless.

Also they had their own label in the seventies and early eighties (called BadBrainsRecords) i have one record, its an EP: DestroyBabylon/ IandI survive. on one side it has Iand I survive. on the other it has Destroy Babylon, Coptic Times, and Joshua's song. these songs are a different recording from the ones that appear on Rock for light and the SelfTitled. its waay more raw--more energy. the number of the record is BBR003 (i.e. the third release on BadBrainsRecords). that means that there are AT LEAST if not more than three other records i don't know about. i tried for years to trace others but haven't met anyone that knows anything. my best guess is that they were the songs that were re-released on the Omega Sessions and BlackDots. or there could be more BadBrain songs that we know nothing of.

What people need to recognize is that BadBrains were the first hardcore band. and if you mention DrKnow, you HAVE TO mention Earl Hudson

for the fact that he influenced EVERY hardcore drummer ever. the same as where all graff today you can see styles started by Dondi, Blade, etc., you can hear Earl Hudson in every hardcore drummer, whether they know it or not.

i think i could type for days about these guys. anyone wanna add or disagree, feel free to respond, because i honestly wanna learn more.

POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE

Originally posted by bug

Cracked-you forgot to mention the LIVE album on SST records, and also ANOTHER live recording called Spirit Electricity(no HR) however, the best live album was Youth are getting restless.

That's the one I listed that I didn't know the name of. I just have a tape, and it's Bad Brains - Live on SST. It came without the case so I had to put it in a homemade one, I don't know what the album cover looks like. But that's the one I was talking about. I haven't heard that BBR3 one.

I always thought Rick Ocasek of the Cars was kind of a goof until I found out how heavily he was involved with the Brains.

Also, am I completely off my rocker or did I hear that Earl used to write?

Originally posted by NumbNuts

Frate Raper-Did you know that the CroMags are runnin shit with a weed-selling bicycle messenger service in NYC?This girl band Sick of the Abuse stayed at my friend's house after the show down here,and one of the girls was a delivery person for em.Just a little tidbit of useless knowledge....

what?!

Guest blood as ink

old bad brains are rad...my friend and saw them about a year as soul brains and said it was one of the biggest disappointments ever.

as for the cro mags go...they're a total joke now.anyone ever see the 80's movie the beat?...iron skulls..hehe.

Here I go... showing my age again...

I saw the Bad Brains for the first time in the early eighties. If I remember correctly it was at a Fairfax County fire station near Tysons Corner Mall. When Tysons was only one level and half the size. Good times.

• 4 weeks later...

oh hell yes..

i just listened to youth are getting restless for about 7 hours..nice day at work...

bad brains are the best fucking band

Archived