1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

AVAIL appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by seeking, Jul 15, 2003.

1. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

AVAIL appreciation thread

Discussion started by seeking - Jul 15, 2003

avail is dope. ive been listening to them all day long at work.
    i wish people still made music like this. its emo without being gay and rock n roll without cheese.
    good stuff. atleast one of the members is a writer too, i believe..the singer maybe? duno. they're good though.
    if you dont know of them migh i suggest downloading 'dixie'. its good stuff.

seeking - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  2. 150's~

150's~ Guest

150's~ - Replied Jul 15, 2003

just hooked up KaZaA lite for the search. peace

3. mogilny

mogilny 12oz Senior Member

mogilny - Replied Jul 15, 2003

Dixie is one of the catchies records ever !!!! hands down one of the greatest records ever made....damn good choice seeking !!!

mogilny - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  4. DripOfAWish

DripOfAWish 12oz Member

DripOfAWish - Replied Jul 15, 2003

1. Avail are not emo in any way, shape, or form.

2. Their vocalist Tim used to write, ask Joker about this.

3. Satiate was amazing, so was 4am friday. Thier older stuff is some of the best punk from the 90s.

Check out Dillinger 4. They don't sound much like Avail, but the feel of straight up punk with catchy singalongs is very similar.

DripOfAWish - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  5. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

seeking - Replied Jul 15, 2003

haha, as soon as i made this thread, i thought...shit, i need to make a dillinger 4 thread as well.

i only meant 'emo' in the respect that it talks about (now) stereotypical emo topics; girls, growing up, etc.

i have discussed it with joker, his memory is equal to a box of cotton soaked in carrot juice. (just kidding j.)

and yes, they are really fucking good.

there is another band, 'current' from detroit, that came out mid 90's, put out a couple ep's i think, the dissapeared. which sucks, cause they were super dope. alot like avail, but their own deal. i bring them up only in the hopes that anyone (other than dibs) will have heard of them.

6. ETHREADZNY

ETHREADZNY 12oz Elite Member

ETHREADZNY - Replied Jul 15, 2003

yes, avail rocks. and bobo is the man.

ETHREADZNY - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  7. DripOfAWish

DripOfAWish 12oz Member

yeah, i just still associate the word emo with stereotypical garbage made by suburban kids singing about some girl in their 4th period history class that wears glasses and can tutor them in math. basically, when i hear someone use the word emo, it means totally contrived and insincere lyrics. Thats a disservice to Avail.

In the 80s, The Descendants/All sang about all that stuff and it was just pop punk. Emo was an insult to certain type of hardcore kids. The music industry is amazing in the way they like to find new buzzwords and blow them all to shit.

Current were a little closer to what was once known as "emo". Noisy scratchy sounding stuff. I still have a 7" from them but i haven't heard it in years. They were the epitome of mid 90's underground hardcore--playing basement shows with vegan potlucks, record sleeves made with embossed cardboard and screen printing, etc... They dropped out before the whole basement show/vegan potluck became such a cliche in the later 90s.

i'll shut up now...

8. DripOfAWish

DripOfAWish 12oz Member

HA! i forgot about him. the funniest shit is on avail's home video, when he's doing an impression of the europeans that hate him because he serves no obvious purpose in the band. he does this funny eastern european accent "what the hell are you? are you like the mighty mighty bosstones dance man?" good video, you should see it if you get a chance.

9. deadasdreams

deadasdreams 12oz Member

deadasdreams - Replied Jul 15, 2003

i used to love avail so much.i haven't listened to them in forever.i remember the first time i saw them.it was with screw 32 and his hero is gone.that show was so amazing.i should pull out there records and listen to them again.

deadasdreams - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  10. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

seeking - Replied Jul 15, 2003

its funny, since i didnt get into this stuff till later, i never considered it to be 'punk'. of course, when i think of 'punk' i think of crust punks, and i want to pour water on them and squirt them with soap. i mean, i dont know what else i would call it, but whatever, it doesnt matter at all anyway.
    you are very right on all acounts.
    one of the guys from current went on to do another project that ended up achieving some success, although i couldnt even begin to think of what it was. and i suppose 'success' in these terms is incredibly relative.
    whatever, i too will shut up now.

seeks/all, no all

11. ETHREADZNY

ETHREADZNY 12oz Elite Member

ETHREADZNY - Replied Jul 15, 2003

do you know the name of the video by any chance? I would really like to see it.

ETHREADZNY - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  12. Joker

Joker Dirty Dozen Crew

Joker - Replied Jul 15, 2003

Actually, Beau and Tim both use to write. I think Beau wrote "Beau" and Tim wrote "Maker". One of the best rooftops I ever did, in Georgetown was with Maker and Mesk. Right off the Whitehurst freeway and in such plain view I was so freakin' scared when doing it. It ran for a while but unfortunately I never caught flicks. Supposedly Mesk has a couple but he said he can't find his photo albums. Bummer.

Tim used to be the drummer a long time ago. And this kid Brian used to sing for them. This was a long time ago though. I don't remember when Tim started singing for them but he was an amazing drummer. Absolutely incredible to be honest. I remember sitting at one of their practice sessions in Tim's house just in awe of how good he was. I only saw maybe four or five shows back then. Mostly little shows at people's houses or at super small venues in DC. When Beau was a 'roadie'... not a cheerleader.

Last I saw them was about two years ago when they made thier anual stroll through town. I hadn't seen either one of them for atleast ten or eleven years. I walked up to Beau who was working the goodies booth and just stood there and looked at him. He about tackled me when he realized who I was. It was good to know he was still the same Beau... fun, full of energy and always excited. Cheerleader is perfect for him, whether the Euro's understand it or not.

Joker - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  13. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle 12oz Veteran Member

Dr. Dazzle - Replied Jul 15, 2003

I remember seeing a video by them and it was full of painted freights. Just thought I'd share that.

Dr. Dazzle - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  14. doomfarmer

doomfarmer 12oz Senior Member

doomfarmer - Replied Jul 15, 2003

avail is easily one of my favorite bands along with hot water music, strike anywhere, and sick of it all ...they have the most awesome live show...ive had 4am frieday in my cd player in my car going on 2 weeks straight...

doomfarmer - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  15. nick5542

nick5542 12oz Member

nick5542 - Replied Jul 15, 2003

hahaa, for a second i thought that said avril appreciation thread. seeking was about to hear some shit from me. haha:lol:

nick5542 - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages: