Autoracks

metaljockey

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I see lots of numbers on the bottom stamped over pannels. But I dont ever see buff on the holed pannels themselves. I think if they want it gone completely they just replace the pannels and buff the frame, then you never know it was there. seldom do they paint it and leave a big buff cube to let you know.

Guest schick1

what i dont get about autoracks is if they hold cars doesn't the paint go through the holes and get on the cars? it seems like this would be a problem for them right? or do they not cary automobiles? round here we call em holy rollers. im not cunfused am i?

Guest postaholic
Originally posted by iloveboxcars

and thats why you dont paint the lines with cars in them.

thats gotta be hard to see tha cars in tha darkness.. it would suck balls to get caught painting them shits and then find out your paint got on all tha cars and they just happened to be tha new line of 2003 lexus's...

:lol:

Guest TrustEvil

painted loaded autoraks is tricky, and not recommended....it brings more heat to the spot sometimes and let's just say if you get caught throwing down on some full autoraks, you aren't walking away with a small fine or a slap on the wrist.

...a lot of the time the cars are shipped covered in plastic to protect the paint jobs from dirt and debris from the train and also from spraypaint...this is not always the case however and i believe from what i heard it fluctuates regionally...i only paint empty racks though...

Originally posted by schick1

what i dont get about autoracks is if they hold cars doesn't the paint go through the holes and get on the cars? it seems like this would be a problem for them right? or do they not cary automobiles? round here we call em holy rollers. im not cunfused am i?

I wondered that for a LONG time but i never asked because i haven't ever seen one in real life yet.

My question was actually askin if anyone ever sees these things painted, but the bottom is switched or buffed out. Makes a big difference when tryin to decide to either squish your train onto the hole part, or just sayin fuck it and going to the bottom.

But stickin to the discussion, paintin hollyrollers with cars in em is a fat burn. For one, it makes the car comps pissed off as hell, and second, autoracks with cars usually always are accompanied by a bull if they are layed up. I once had to duck out for a few hours till the bull left to cut out of the yard.

Guest TrustEvil

...you're taking a chance painting any fr8...they can potentially suffer the same buffing fate...but keep in mind that autoraks are on a pool-system, (much like wheaties and some reefers) which means they are carried by every and any RR Co. at any given time and are ususally in high demand since they are a priority car, so they often don't get pulled into the shop unless it's for essential repairs.

Originally posted by TrustEvil

...you're taking a chance painting any fr8...they can potentially suffer the same buffing fate...but keep in mind that autoraks are on a pool-system, (much like wheaties and some reefers) which means they are carried by every and any RR Co. at any given time and are ususally in high demand since they are a priority car, so they often don't get pulled into the shop unless it's for essential repairs.

good info, thx

• 2 weeks later...

we had an entire layup ripped out because of people painting full autoracks.

we had a way around painting with them full but others who painted there didn't give a fuck. just bad news to do that, unless you've got tricks.

i've also had pieces stamped on the bottom because of number coverage, though they left the top portion of the piece.

Originally posted by ese

I see lots of numbers on the bottom stamped over pannels. But I dont ever see buff on the holed pannels themselves. I think if they want it gone completely they just replace the pannels and buff the frame, then you never know it was there. seldom do they paint it and leave a big buff cube to let you know.

Nuff said.

Archived